Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desirable breeding or no?

3 posters

Go down

Desirable breeding or no? Empty Desirable breeding or no?

Post by pookie! Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:09 pm

I am new to this, but enjoy breeding things for morphs or work (pigeons, fish, plants) but me and my buddy got some geckos at a show, he wanted pets but his gf is breeding balls so me and him decided to try and see what we can create in the animals he wanted as pets anyway!
Now I get genetics, its all similar with the animals and plants I have bred before, but with anything in its community of fanciers, certain things are more saught after or held to a higher esteem than the simple breedings or combos, ya know? Lol okay, to the question!
I got a Super Snow Enigma (Het Bell) male, his is a tank and 2years old, beautiful pattern and color, nice pinkish eyes (gotta weight him soon so I can quote that) and I borrowed my buddies nice (gorgeous to me), healthy Red Stripe female. She has been over for a bit and after looking I can see 2 eggs so she is gravid, and to you gecko people (ment in the most awesome way ever Smile ) what do you think of my choice to put these two together?
Some geck morph calculator said possible Mack Snow and Mack Snow Enigma, I love the look of them but from talking to a guy he said I can produce albinos as well from them..?
Let me know what you think please! When I get to a computer I will get you pictures of them, or you can look me up on fb ( pookie dextroverse ) and check them out, just let me know who you ae so I can allow you to see the pictures, and you have permission to put a shot of each up on this thread for me if you wanna Smile
Okay /ramble !!!

pookie!
pookie!

Status Status : Having fun learning :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 158

https://www.facebook.com/the.p00kie

Back to top Go down

Desirable breeding or no? Empty Re: Desirable breeding or no?

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:19 am

Is the bold stripe also het bell? You shouldn't mix the bell and temper lines also if these were obtained at a show as pets is the quality genetics you need to make them desirable there? Usually animals sold as pet quality from a breeder means they exhibit traits the breeder didn't want to reproduce/couldn't use. Most important tho is what albino strains both are het for. Please don't take breeding lightly, use good ethics and a dose of common sense. Do you have a plan for the offering?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 am

You will get 100% Mack Snows. 50% of them will also be Enigma's.

As Kel says above, the albino strains should not be mixed.
Red Stripes are more than often Tremper Albino, and so really shouldn't be bred with a gecko het Bell Albino.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pookie! Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Kermit wrote:Is the bold stripe also het bell? You shouldn't mix the bell and temper lines also if these were obtained at a show as pets is the quality genetics you need to make them desirable there? Usually animals sold as pet quality from a breeder means they exhibit traits the breeder didn't want to reproduce/couldn't use. Most important tho is what albino strains both are het for. Please don't take breeding lightly, use good ethics and a dose of common sense. Do you have a plan for the offering?

No, not that I know of. Only the sse is het for bell. They werent pet quality, he just couldnt work them into a project.
Oh I am not trying to take it lightly and I dont believe in producing anything using questionable ethics. I see in the bully dog world the problems cause by focusing on greed or the "next show stopper" nonsense. I just want to produce quality animals, with quality morphs and I think I messed up by mixing these two huh?
pookie!
pookie!

Back to top Go down

Post by pookie! Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Jordan wrote:You will get 100% Mack Snows. 50% of them will also be Enigma's.

Red Stripes are more than often Tremper Albino, and so really shouldn't be bred with a gecko het Bell Albino.

Jordan wrote:You will get 100% Mack Snows. 50% of them will also be Enigma's.

Sorry if I come off as dumb, but I have a lot of questions.. What way is the mack snow different than the ms enigma?
So is the red stripe considered an albino strain? I didnt know that.. There isnt really a way to know without contacting the breeder or seeing what happens with these eggs huh? Damn, I feel bad having not asked before I brought her over..
I get how animals with a mutation like that being bred together can have bad outcomes, same with the people who breed blue dogs to other blue dogs, problems with everything health wise for the animals...

pookie!
pookie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Without knowing the het albino for the bold stripe or knowing it is or could possibly have temper yeah this one is screwed up. I would stop incubating eggs or not incubate them once their laid. You can ruine your reputation fast if you become known for breeding across the albino strains, even if all you ever sell to is pet shops or private people. You don't want to be responsible for muddying up the genetic waters like the bully breeders have. Without knowing the het albino for the bold stripe or knowing it is or could possibly have temper yeah this one is screwed up. I would stop incubating eggs or not incubate them once their laid. You can ruine your reputation fast if you become known for breeding across the albino strains, even if all you ever sell to is pet shops or private people. You don't want to be responsible for muddying up the genetic waters like the bully breeders have. Without knowing the het albino for the bold stripe or knowing it is or could possibly have temper yeah this one is screwed up. I would stop incubating eggs or not incubate them once their laid. You can ruine your reputation fast if you become known for breeding across the albino strains, even if all you ever sell to is pet shops or private people. You don't want to be responsible for muddying up the genetic waters like the bully breeders have. Without knowing the het albino for the bold stripe or knowing it is or could possibly have temper yeah this one is screwed up. I would stop incubating eggs or not incubate them once their laid. You can ruine your reputation fast if you become known for breeding across the albino strains, even if all you ever sell to is pet shops or private people. You don't want to be responsible for muddying up the genetic waters like the bully breeders have.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:50 pm

I think if you have some questions about genetics you should start a new thread in the genetic section, thats where it would get the most attention. In the other question, crossing the albino usually won't affect the health of the animal but will ryin the genetics purity. Since you like the bulldog reference, its like the johnson and scott type american bulldog. Originally started out working together to improve the breed, each with their own vision of what the original bulldog should be, they had a falling out and went their own way never to cross the johnson and scott lines again in their lifetime, and thats how they wanted it. Each line standing by it's own standard and bred by that ethic to maintain the standard and strive to come as close to the standard as possible. Honestly its no different when you cross the albino strains. It ruins the overall integrity of the animal. Each morph has it's own standard and until you know what that is and what goes into making it them no person should breed until they do have that knowledge. Imo.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by pookie! Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Kermit wrote:I think if you have some questions about genetics you should start a new thread in the genetic section, thats where it would get the most attention. In the other question, crossing the albino usually won't affect the health of the animal but will ryin the genetics purity. Since you like the bulldog reference, its like the johnson and scott type american bulldog. Originally started out working together to improve the breed, each with their own vision of what the original bulldog should be, they had a falling out and went their own way never to cross the johnson and scott lines again in their lifetime, and thats how they wanted it. Each line standing by it's own standard and bred by that ethic to maintain the standard and strive to come as close to the standard as possible. Honestly its no different when you cross the albino strains. It ruins the overall integrity of the animal. Each morph has it's own standard and until you know what that is and what goes into making it them no person should breed until they do have that knowledge. Imo.
Ok, I thought this was the genetic section. I can post better tomorrow when I get to a comp.
So these eggs should be trashed :/ ok, or given to my man friend as pets that wont ever be bred to anything.. The ambulldog thing explains it perfectly. People dont want to be that guy who makes "mutts" by criss crossing the genetics people worked so hard to keep seperate.
I wish I had a computer right now, I need to just sit down and read up on genetics in these animals and figure out what not to do before I try this again.
I have a ton of questions but texting is so slow..
pookie!
pookie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:06 am

pookie! wrote:
Sorry if I come off as dumb, but I have a lot of questions.. What way is the mack snow different than the ms enigma?
So is the red stripe considered an albino strain? I didnt know that.. There isnt really a way to know without contacting the breeder or seeing what happens with these eggs huh? Damn, I feel bad having not asked before I brought her over..
I get how animals with a mutation like that being bred together can have bad outcomes, same with the people who breed blue dogs to other blue dogs, problems with everything health wise for the animals...

No not dumb at all, i know what its like starting with a new animal and learning all the new genetics even if you had a firm grasp of genetics previously.

The red stripe isn't a strain of albino. But they 90% carry an albino gene, its what makes the stripe on them red. Without albino in them, the stripe would be black. And red stripes first originated with Tremper Albino's, so the most common albino strain for a red stripe to be carrying is tremper. So without knowing the albino strain, it would be bad to breed to a bell.

Hope that makes sense thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 am

Jordan is absolutely the local authority for morph questions, and I do believe this is in the genetics and morph section, I was just offering where to put it, but seperate questions should have seperate threads. As far as the bulldog reference, mixing scott and johnson wont make a "mutt" it'll still be purebred am.bulldog however what it dos is add undesireable traits, scott wanted one type johnson another, one more sporty, one more bully. By mixing it mucks up the "type". The outcome from a scott/johnson breedng could be really beefy all over with a tiny sporty heas or narrow sporty rear end... just won't look right and won't beable to perform properly because of those deficites. Then the pups from that dg will also carry those traits and before you know it they're all geetically screwed up and you have a hard time reestablishing proper type. Same thing with crossing albino strains... it adds undesireable traits. Say someone wants to make a bold stripe, needs a het tremper to help clean up the stripe, using a leo with crossed albino pool makes it impossible to progress morphs towards perfecton because now the outcome is unpredctable whereas using th e het trempr would produce a more predictable outcome.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by pookie! Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:00 pm

@Jordan that makes perfect sense!

@Kermit, sorry but to me when you take those two types of dogs and breed them together, because of them being bred for generations upon generations to be what they are, you get a mutt. Just my opinion.
Same with taking an American Staffordshire Terrier and breeding it to an American Pit Bull Terrier, even though they are technically from the same lineage originally from England, having been bred for show dogs, and having been bred for work (if you get a real APBT) the dog you produce will be a mutt cur.

I get the gecko thing though, now that I understand the albino thing and the morphs a little more its not so confusing, but explaining it to my friend is difficult lol
pookie!
pookie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down