Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding 1st Time

4 posters

Go down

Breeding 1st Time Empty Breeding 1st Time

Post by ShawnFennox Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:11 am

I am going to try and breed my leopard geckos.
Any tips you got will help, I have the incubate and the hatch house ready.
I hope that it goes well, don't worry, after this one batch I am going to separate the male from the females, they usually stay in the same tank anyways and they haven't had babies, but if they do then I am going to have the male his own tank, poor thing XD he'll be lonely.

Breeding 1st Time 39728510

Breeding 1st Time 40421210
ShawnFennox
ShawnFennox

Status Status : ..... I want to save them all....
LGF Points LGF Points : 73

Back to top Go down

Breeding 1st Time Empty Re: Breeding 1st Time

Post by kathstew Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

Good luck on your breeding adventures. Smile

Have you done a lot research on breeding? It can be difficult, time consuming and expensive. You have one male and three females right? That is two eggs per clutch times three females, multipled by up to possibly 10 clutches. That works out to a lot of eggs and eventually geckos!

Also, do you know the genetics of your leos? Its really not recommended to breed geckos you don't know the genetics of, as you are just muddying up the gene pool.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t2230-should-i-breed-questions-to-ask-yourself

Don't worry about your male being lonely! Leos don't get "lonely", they have no emotional attachments to one another. They merely tolerate each other's presence. :P
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnFennox Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am

I don't know the genetics, I got them from a man for free. I am only letting them have one clutch of eggs each, I'm not letting them breed the whole season. 6 eggs is all I can care for at the moment XD Sandstorm wont be THAT busy. I have been doing a TON of research with all this XD I will read over the link you got there though, the more knowledge I know on this the better in my opinion.
ShawnFennox
ShawnFennox

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 pm

I think you should keep researching. Breeding leos that you don't know the genetics of is not a good idea. You don't know what you are going to be bringing into the world. You could be mixing albino strains for all you know.
I suggest if you want to breed that you buy a good breeding pair.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Looks like you've got a high yellow, normal, tremper albino, and a tangerine on you there.

So, by the looks of things, you're not doing anything genetically "taboo". But, Kath is right. Unknown genetics make mutt babies that could be developmentally challenged or still birthed. It's something we try to stay away from when breeding.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:20 pm

You only have to breed leos once to get up to 10 clutches because the female will retain the sperm plug so once is all it takes. I'm pretty sure you might have seen something regarding this when you were doing your extensive research. Just keep in mind that just because your leo could lay upwards of 20+ eggs doesn't mean you have to incubate them all. Just make sure you freeze the ones you don't plan to incubate before disposing of them. Also I see in the one picture your viv in the background had sand in it. Thats a big no no. while your looking around the forum for breeding info you might want to check out the thread in the housing section about making the perfect leo set up. Its in the stickies. Best of luck thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnFennox Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm

I have seen the warnings of the sand and such, it isn't sand it is ground walnuts, looks like sand, but I know a lot of people personally that use sand and their geckos haven't gotten impacted, now once the babies come around I know to put them on paper towels and such. I know many people wont like that I use walnut grounds as a sub. but I joined this to get new info and to show off a little, plus to get advice. I do thank everyone for all the advice too, the sub. is the only thing I haven't done when it comes to all the advice I've gotten.
ShawnFennox
ShawnFennox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Well I know I speak for all of us here on lgf when I say that we hope you change the substrait to something more appropriate and closer to their natural habitat. Even tho it isn't sand perse, it is still partcle substrait with isn't the greatest for your leos health. Aside of the impaction issue you can encounter other issues such as dehydration, troubles shedding and particles getting into their eyes and causing infections, but ultimately it IS your choice, but we all just want what's best for your leo in the long run. Good luck and hope that we can continue providing you with the best, most accurate information possible Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ShawnFennox Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 pm

^^ Thanks Kermit.
I really love to read about all the nice things you all have to say, and I hope I don't offend anyone with what I say.
ShawnFennox
ShawnFennox

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm

You're very welcome Shawn, and I can assure you that NO ONE is or has been offended by anything you say. thumbs up
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down