Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding different morphs

4 posters

Go down

Breeding different morphs Empty Breeding different morphs

Post by eevee09 Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum! I've have my leopards for awhile and I've heard that there are certian morphs that shouldn't be bred together is that only for albinos? I have a tremper tangerine male and a Mack Emerine female along with a jungle and an albino patternless female. I'm a little new to breeding the different morphs so I'm kinda confused here...any input would be appreciated!

eevee09

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 5

Back to top Go down

Breeding different morphs Empty Re: Breeding different morphs

Post by kathstew Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 am

Hello and welcome to the forum!! I hope to talk with you more soon Smile

Take a look at this thread: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t2076-urban-gecko-question
We talk a bit about the morphs and mixing them in there.
Honestly, when breeding, you should think about what you want to accomplish. Are you breeding to try and brighten a color, to create a new morph, etc. Once you know your goal, look at the morphs you have and see what you can accomplish.

For me, I want to create bright bright leos, so I'm going to be breeding my two snowglows.

I'd love to see some pictures of your leos, btw. They sound beautiful! Smile

Others will probably chime in to this soon as well. Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:19 am

What not to do is to not mix the 3 different strains of albinos, the tremper albino, bell albino, and rainwater (las vegas) albino.

Other than that, while you can technically mix different morphs together, sometimes it won't be worth while doing so. Reason being that you should want to have a good idea of what you want to breed, what kind of offspring you are going for. Some combinations will result in normal leopard geckos with hets only. This would mean they would look like a standard normal leopard gecko, while carrying the genetic traits of the parents. You may or may not want that, that's up to you.

It's important to remember not all morphs combine into a "blend of the two". I know when I first started, I thought any male could combine with a female and I would get a blend and cross of the two in the offsprings. Without getting further into the genetics of things, that doesn't always happen. Sometimes you combine them you would only get one or the other. Other times you get something completely different, something that looks nothing like the parents.

Your first example is a great way to show this. You said you got a tremper albino to go with a mack snow female. Combining the two you are probably thinking about getting some tremper albinos, but you won't. Here's what you'll get:

50% Mack Snow het Tremper Albino
50% Normal het Tremper Albino

As you can see, these two would result in half mack snow het tremper, half normal leopard geckos het tremper. This may or may not be what you are looking for, but it's important to know combining the two doesn't always mix & blend.

When talking morph combinations, don't leave home without leopard gecko morph calculator. You get 10 free calculations a day, should be plenty for you to figure out what offspring you would get from your pairings.

Hope that helps, good luck Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 am

There is also this calculator:
http://www.lovegeckos.com/Genetics.aspx

I personally like this one better, as you can use it as much as you want. :P And its not as complicated as the other one. Thats just imo though.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:39 am

good points above... i personally would not breed the different snow lines togeather either...but it has been done, i just see it the same way as the albino...how do you know which animals are carrying both, or which type of snow. the urban snow usually has way less yellow, if any at all...i just think that breeding the mack snow into it totally defeats the purpose...and i am also not a fan of the super snows, except the one i saw on here yesterday! Wink just my opinion, i just dont see how some people are agaist breeding the albino strains, but see no reason not to breed the snows togeather! hmmm?
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down