Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help with Enigma Syndrome

+4
Dosercody
Tsuhei
gothicgurrrl
LindseyM16
8 posters

Go down

Please help with Enigma Syndrome Empty Please help with Enigma Syndrome

Post by LindseyM16 Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 am

Hey guys, Glimmer seems to have a bad case of Enigma Syndrome. I hardly see her come out of her favorite hide, which is pitch black. I put black construction paper on the back of her cage to block the sunlight and gray tint on the other sides of her cage. I have only seen 3 urates since September 24, 2011 (The day I bought her.). I don't believe she has been eating lately. I offer her mostly meal worms. And crickets once or twice a week. The last couple times of feeding her I took her out of the cage and put her in a small tupper ware container with small crickets. Only today did I actually see her try and go for a cricket, but she missed and then did not try to go for another one. I tried to hand feed her meal worms and crickets but she will not take them from me.

Here are some pictures from today when I was trying to feed her. These are phone pics so sorry for the bad quality. I will try to get some better pics if they are needed. She looks skinny to me.

Please help with Enigma Syndrome 83

Please help with Enigma Syndrome 82

I have only handled her about 3 times since I bought her. She hates it so I don't like to unless it's necessary. Any help is very appreciated.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Status Status : Lizards are cool.
LGF Points LGF Points : 1081

Back to top Go down

Please help with Enigma Syndrome Empty Re: Please help with Enigma Syndrome

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:23 pm

aww poor glimmer Sad I wish i could give you some advice, but I know hardly anything about enigma syndrome.. another member will be able to help you though Smile

have you tried offering her waxworms? My female leo went through about 3-4 months without eating properly and she would only accept waxworms. It's difficult for most leos to resist them, and they are slow moving so they can't really get away.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Have you tried using tongs to feed Glimmer? I say this because of several reasons that I've experienced with my leo.

1. Typhon will not eat a meal worm on his own. I have to use a way to create extra stimulus to entice him to eat, using the means of tongs to do so. If he sees a meal worm crawl in front of him, he won't touch it. However, if I drop it in front of him and wiggle it like it's having an epileptic seizure, it automatically gains his attention and appetite.

2. Typhon's father is a Snow Enigma. Although I'm unsure of how the genetics are passed down mentally from father to offspring if the offspring isn't classified as an Enigma, what I understand is is that his father had mild to moderate symptoms. Occasionally, Typhon does a little circle. Maybe once every few days. Because of the Enigma possibilities in his blood, or in general, he is a TERRIBLE marksman. I believe he has the worst aim than any other creature I've had the privilege to own. This is another reason why I use tongs to position the meal worms that I feed him directly in front of him, and parallel to his mouth so that when he does strike, he has a higher chance to grab it.

Also, do you offer dusted or undusted? My leo is pickier when it comes to eating things that aren't dusted in his supplements...it could be a taste issue?

Another point - Typhon has the attention span of a flea. He will not realize that I am trying to feed him from anywhere from five to twenty minutes. I have to "chase" him around his tank with a meal worm and drop it strategically in front of him to catch his attention. Once I gain it, he'll continue to eat until he's had his fill or if I'm too slow to drop the next worm in front of him.

In short, try extra stimulus. It's been the charm for me so far...hopefully it will work for you. Please help with Enigma Syndrome 131791 And don't give up if your leo doesn't pay attention for a few minutes...like I said, it can take up to twenty minutes to feed your little one...I usually stop after twenty because it usually means that he really doesn't want to eat. Wink Best of luck.

EDIT: I've also used the tongs so much that he has now associated it with food and will readily strike at them instead of food if it's present. If it works out for you, just the sight of your tongs or tweezers will help trigger Glimmer's appetite in the future.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 am

I have tried to give her wax worms but she has not taken them. When I hand feed her I use the tongs and she doesn't take anything. I tried wiggling the mealworms around for her and she just wasn't interested. I dust her feeders with the Repashy Leopard Gecko diet. I will try some of those tips out today and will let you guys know how it goes. Do you think moving her into a smaller cage would do anything, or cause stress? Also, Glimmer does seem to have a short attention spand, she is very roudy when I put her in the small tupper ware.

Thanks guys
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dosercody Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 am

Try the tongs, as someone mentioned above (if you haven't already). She might not like the smell of your hand or be comfortable enough around you yet to know she can eat from you. As for enigma syndrome, its a tough touchy topic because of so many different opinions on enigmas. In my experience, and to the knowledge that I have, the best you can do is make her as unstressed as possible. The enigmas syndromes are thought to be activated when the animal is highly stressed and/or newly hatched. If you can limit the stress of her as much as possible it'll help. If holding her stresses her out as you said, I wouldn't do it for a long while, at least until shes eating again. Keep the cage as dark as possible, as light can cause stress and trigger the syndrome as well. I would leave enough light in the cage though to where she can see crickets or mealies from any spot in her cage/aquarium/vivarium. There is alot of controversial enigma syndrome "treatments" as well, with no real proof of being effective or not. Try googling some, as it'd probably be best not to start a uproar if I listed one someone had a problem with. But again, the best thing to do is lower stress level. Smile Oh also, I noticed you said you put her in a Tupperware dish to help her feed. I do the same, and find it effective with some geckos, and entirely not effective with others who are to worried about being in a new enclosure. If your lil girl is too stressed out about being in the new enclosure to eat, your defeating your purpose of getting her to eat, obviously, and also triggering enigma syndrome. SO be very careful with the feeding tub. Good luck! PM me with any questions.

EDIT

She doesn't appear to be too skinny, but her age would help in determining that. Its hard to tell from the pic but I'd guess around five months, in which case she would be only mildly a little thin. I currently have a tremper and normal who are much skinnier, and a little younger, that I'm in the process fo fattening up. It takes time. Try not to worry about her appearance of skinniness, and more of weight gain or loss.

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 am

The breeder said she was born in the beginning of August. I think he said either august 6th or 5th if I remember right. Her cage is very dark and there isn't that much light. I googled the syndrome and searched it on here and made her cage "safe" for her. She doesn't seem to mind the tupperware other than being a little ancy when she's in it, but that is the only time I actually see her out. I hardly hold her. She is always in a hide that I can pick up with her in it so it's easy for her to come out without stressing her. I'm going to continue with the tongs and see if she will do anything. Thank you.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dosercody Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm

Sounds like you are doing all you can then Smile It can only get better, try not to worry.

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:20 pm

If she was born in august that means she's only 3 months old. You should be offering food DAILY for a leo that age. Also the crix your offering are much too small. Feed appropriately sized food, the size of the gap between her eyes (the food should be no bigger around than the space between the eyes) and remove the jumper legs on crix to make them easier to catch or refrigerate the crix for a half hour before feeding to slow them down. If moving her to a feeding tub is stressful put an escape proof tupperware dish in her viv, build up around it with rocks so shes over the dish hunting downwards into it. This way she's in her viv, comfortable surroundings reducing stress. Also make sure your feeding her well after dark, more in tune with their natural feedin instincts. Movement is gonna trigger prey drive so maybe try some butterworms. A bit higher in fats and active as all get out should keep her interested as its hard to miss catching those chubby worms. I don't think she looks thin for a 3 month old gecko but you gotta increase her feedings. Keep her temps around 95 so she doesn't try to brumate on ya. Good luck Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am

I put food in her tank every other day and there's always the same amount in the tank. I will start everyday. I am going to half my cage so theres a smaller area for her.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 am

I have 5 enigmas with varying syndromes. I find that my enigmas tend to be on the skinnier side and don't eat as well. I think she looks just fine for enigma Smile Both mine that are about the same age look the same. Do your best to not stress her out. If mine go off food for a couple weeks, I leave them alone for a few days, this will not hurt them and it may give them time to relax and take the pressure off "You need to eat". I know it is hard, I go through it ALL the time. I would completely leave her alone for three days. Then give it a try. Also, I learned a little trick with waxworms to get them eating. I give a plain waxworm and if they eat it when I go to give them the next one, I sneak in a meal worm in the same tongs. This way I find they usually eat them both thinking they are getting just waxworms Wink. Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes. Hope this helps.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Thank you, I will try that!
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 pm

smsararas2 wrote:I find that my enigmas tend to be on the skinnier side and don't eat as well.
I have an enigma at 90g, don't know what you mean Razz
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LindseyM16 Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Just wanted to share that glimmer is eating!! I found a couple poops today in her cage, which i downsized.
LindseyM16
LindseyM16
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:53 am

Congrats! I'm glad she is eating again! Very Happy

Keep up the great work!

P.S Just saw you named your other leo Scarlett. Very cute! I like it! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down