Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leopard Gecko general questions and set up

4 posters

Go down

Leopard Gecko general questions and set up Empty Leopard Gecko general questions and set up

Post by MusclyNerd Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 am

Hi I've done some research before going straight to a forum, I prefer not to use forums if I can because I don't like to annoy people if I ask questions that may of already been asked several times but I haven't been able to find CLEAR answers to my questions. Such as alot of information and advice contradict each other such as the if sand is safe for leos debate.(Can sand or certain types of sand be deadly to leos or is it better to use reptile carpet/kichen roll etc?)

I haven't yet got a leo But I'm wanting to get at least 2 leos my first question is, is it ok to get more then 1 female together even if they wasn't raised together and arnt the same moprh.(I already know males don't get along) I'm also wanting to know whats the best thing to get for 2 leo geckos Ive heard about 20" long is adequate or about 25? I was thinking of getting either:

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivarium-cabinet-combinations-460/vivexotic-36in-viv-cabinet-ellmau-beech-61917.html
But I'm not sure if a heat mat can be fitted underneath the glass some how and I would like to have one because Ive read that they need heat on their bellies to aid digestion is that correct and important?

Another choice ive been thinking of but is alot more expensive and a less roomy option Ive been looking at is:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/swell-gecko-shop-994/housing-995/exo-terra-glass-terrariums-26601.html
with measurements of 60x45x45cm option. Would that be big enough for 2 leos? I know this 1 could have a heat mat but it costs alot more then the option above so now I got some questions about heating and lighting that are confusing me the most.

Are heat mats essential for a natural healthy leo housing with helping aid digestion with warming their bellies? Also How do I attach various lights is a daylight and nighttime light essential to aid the nocturnal lifestyle also I know you can get red bulbs to view them at night are you meant to keep these on to help keep it warm or do you use something else? This is another thing that has confused me when people use bulbs to keep a warm side but they can't have it on at night because of them being nocturnal :S??

Another thing that has confused me lighting rise is ceramic lights with people saying they don't give off light, I really don't understand why people say that do they mean it doesn't give of as much light as normal bulbs I've never used them myself but I'm sure they do give of light. What would you say is the best light/heat set up and which would be the best choice of housing from the 2 links ive given above for a multiple gecko set up or send me a better suggestion if you know of one. and my final question is how do you even apply these various types of lights when I view pictures of different vivariums/terrariums I cant see where you even fit/attach the various bulbs. I'd really appreciate peoples advice thank you.

MusclyNerd

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 45

Back to top Go down

Leopard Gecko general questions and set up Empty Re: Leopard Gecko general questions and set up

Post by Karagain Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 am

Hi I've done some research before going straight to a forum, I prefer not to use forums if I can because I don't like to annoy people if I ask questions that may of already been asked several times but I haven't been able to find CLEAR answers to my questions. Such as alot of information and advice contradict each other such as the if sand is safe for leos debate.(Can sand or certain types of sand be deadly to leos or is it better to use reptile carpet/kichen roll etc?)
Kitchen roll would be a better and safer options for now and you may want to consider tile or slate as substrate Smile The thing about repti-carpet is that it is a breeding ground for bacteria and not easily disinfectant... and also the leo can get its claws stuck.

I haven't yet got a leo But I'm wanting to get at least 2 leos my first question is, is it ok to get more then 1 female together even if they wasn't raised together and arnt the same moprh.(I already know males don't get along) I'm also wanting to know whats the best thing to get for 2 leo geckos Ive heard about 20" long is adequate or about 25? I was thinking of getting either:

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/vivariums-416/vivarium-cabinet-combinations-460/vivexotic-36in-viv-cabinet-ellmau-beech-61917.html
But I'm not sure if a heat mat can be fitted underneath the glass some how and I would like to have one because Ive read that they need heat on their bellies to aid digestion is that correct and important?
Leos can do well on their own, and don't require company. But many keepers can keep upto 5 geckos per enclosure, personally I have 2 females and one male in a 2.5ft enclosure and never had any problems.

With the viv, you can put the heatmat inside the enclosure but you must make sure that it is on a thermostat as it would get very hot. I have the same viv, and I have newpaper as substrate and where my heat mat is, I have a lone kitchen tile on the heat mat and it seems to work well. If it is too hot, then more layers of kitchen roll usually does the trick.

For getting the heatmat into the enclosure, I am sure there should be a way of doing so... or you may have to drill a hole and wire it in yourself Smile

Another choice ive been thinking of but is alot more expensive and a less roomy option Ive been looking at is:
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/swell-gecko-shop-994/housing-995/exo-terra-glass-terrariums-26601.html
with measurements of 60x45x45cm option. Would that be big enough for 2 leos? I know this 1 could have a heat mat but it costs alot more then the option above so now I got some questions about heating and lighting that are confusing me the most.
In my opinion, I really dislike glass enclosures by exo-terras.. The temps fluxate alot and it has issues with humidity (too much). I also think it is too small for 2 adult leo's, maybe juvi's but you would most likely upgrade. I used the same for my juvis who quickly grew out of it and started showing signs of stress.

Are heat mats essential for a natural healthy leo housing with helping aid digestion with warming their bellies? Also How do I attach various lights is a daylight and nighttime light essential to aid the nocturnal lifestyle also I know you can get red bulbs to view them at night are you meant to keep these on to help keep it warm or do you use something else? This is another thing that has confused me when people use bulbs to keep a warm side but they can't have it on at night because of them being nocturnal :S??
Heat mats ARE very essential and you won't really need additional lighting, as natural light in your room will suffice really, lights can actually annoy and stress the leo out because they are crepuscular (active at dawn and dust) and not nocturnal. With people who use bulbs for heating vivs, the temps are allowed to drop at night as they naturally would in the wild. They most likely have a heatmat or cermamic heater to make sure it doesnt get too cold but this is more for species like bearded dragons.

Another thing that has confused me lighting rise is ceramic lights with people saying they don't give off light, I really don't understand why people say that do they mean it doesn't give of as much light as normal bulbs I've never used them myself but I'm sure they do give of light. What would you say is the best light/heat set up and which would be the best choice of housing from the 2 links ive given above for a multiple gecko set up or send me a better suggestion if you know of one. and my final question is how do you even apply these various types of lights when I view pictures of different vivariums/terrariums I cant see where you even fit/attach the various bulbs. I'd really appreciate peoples advice thank you.
Ceramic lights are not really lighting, it is more a bulb that heats up without any light (so perfect for night time heating as it wouldnt annoy the leo). But you really do not need to worry about ANY type of lighting or additional heating as you should have a heatmat only.
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Leopard Gecko general questions and set up Empty Re: Leopard Gecko general questions and set up

Post by Karagain Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:17 am

If you would like additional infomation in more detail, check out this housing sticky done by the lovely Kermit Smile http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t55-proper-housing-for-leopard-gecko
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:32 am

Embarassed thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MusclyNerd Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 am

Thank you for your reply Smile But theres some questions i still feel unanswered by both of your answers(including the link you sent even though it was helpful) many sources say they are nocturnal including pet shops owners i find this very confusing how Im now being told they arnt are you 100% sure of this
(how is it you know this I do beleive you because you sound like you know what your saying, its just I like to know where people get the resources from, such as Im a gym instructor and im the same with finding out about different approaches to fitness.)

I'm very interested in it but i don't understand what you meant by just putting the heat pad inside arnt they supposed to go underneath glass of the tank?

I also like it how I know sand and reptile carpet arnt the best choice and its the 2 things ive seen used at both petshops ive been to with leos in....Just shows how much petshops owners know....

I also don't quite understand about having more then 1 leo, is it ok to keep a bunch of females even if they wernt raised together? And is it ok to add new females at later date after quarantining them? Even though i know they do not require company ive seen a few places including a place with 2 geckos im wanting to buy where they sleep together so it looks like they get along well?

Sorry for blabbering on Im just wanting to make sure I do a good job for what ever pets I get.. Is it only worth using lights if say the colder side is to cold from the heat padd not heating the entire vivarium enough and if where they are is to dark? Im finding the lighting bit the most confusing can they see in the dark or do they need abit of light at night time?

MusclyNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 am

They're nocturnal, they'll be active during evenings & night times, and usually sleep throughout the day.

If you get a terrarium setup like that, you almost have to place the
heatpad inside. It's doable, get the type that's water safe. Then
place tiles on top of the heating pad, and you should be good.

Females can get along if they are similar in size, and that there's enough hiding spots so they can be away from each other when they want to be left alone. You definitely would need to quarantine, and observe closely especially during feed time if there's any bullying or aggression. Some leopard geckos are simply too feisty to be housed together. So there's no guarantee your geckos will get along.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MusclyNerd Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:40 am

Do you mean ceramic tiles? And arnt they bad for conducting heat so it would make the heat pad worse?

MusclyNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by MusclyNerd Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55C9f85jHJo
is the soil stuff this guy uses bad?

What kind of substrait would you recommend using this vivarium with using a heat mat with having to put it ontop of the glass floor?

MusclyNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 am

Thank you for your reply Smile But theres some questions i still feel unanswered by both of your answers(including the link you sent even though it was helpful) many sources say they are nocturnal including pet shops owners i find this very confusing how Im now being told they arnt are you 100% sure of this
(how is it you know this I do beleive you because you sound like you know what your saying, its just I like to know where people get the resources from, such as Im a gym instructor and im the same with finding out about different approaches to fitness.)
Alot of sources have incorrect information or are misinformed. But as many people would tell you hear, they are NOT nocturnal. They are active at dawn and ask

I'm very interested in it but i don't understand what you meant by just putting the heat pad inside arnt they supposed to go underneath glass of the tank?
Not strictly meant to be an "under" tank heater. They work quite well in the enclosure as well as long it is properly regulated through a thermostat (this has worked well for me and also the reptile shop I work at)

I also like it how I know sand and reptile carpet arnt the best choice and its the 2 things ive seen used at both petshops ive been to with leos in....Just shows how much petshops owners know....
Sadly, alot of petstores, especially the chain stores work under misinformed or incorrect caresheets or training.

I also don't quite understand about having more then 1 leo, is it ok to keep a bunch of females even if they wernt raised together? And is it ok to add new females at later date after quarantining them? Even though i know they do not require company ive seen a few places including a place with 2 geckos im wanting to buy where they sleep together so it looks like they get along well?
Geckos do not crave company like we like to think, but they can tolerate other geckos (even without being raised together) and of course quarantining is important to ensure you are not passing any disease or parasites to your collection. I have just added a new female to my breeding pair and did not have an problems and they get along fine.

Sorry for blabbering on Im just wanting to make sure I do a good job for what ever pets I get.. Is it only worth using lights if say the colder side is to cold from the heat padd not heating the entire vivarium enough and if where they are is to dark? Im finding the lighting bit the most confusing can they see in the dark or do they need abit of light at night time?
Don't worry about blabbering on.... We are here to help!!! thumbs up 2 Having the heat mat on one side of the enclosure should create a temperate gradient where your gecko can decide if it needs to warm up or cool down, so your cool side can be around 70f (room temps) and your hot side can be around 88f-96f quite happily. Honestly any lighting you may want to use if your your own viewing benefit and leos don't really need it Smile

Hope that has helped. Feel free to ask more questions if you are unsure!!! I can yabber on abit Very Happy Gecko
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:21 am

Mardy wrote:They're nocturnal, they'll be active during evenings & night times, and usually sleep throughout the day.

No Mardy, they are not nocturnal as commonly thought. As Kel usually preach, they are active at DAWN and DUSK which makes them crepuscular!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55C9f85jHJo
is the soil stuff this guy uses bad?

What kind of substrait would you recommend using this vivarium with using a heat mat with having to put it ontop of the glass floor?

The soil substrate is BAD, not only is it a major risk for impaction (eating substrate and causing a blockage in the intestines) it would also cause too much humidity for the leo which causes upper respiratory infections. If you think about it, leos are from dry, clay and arid grassland areas where there would be not much sand or soil...

paper towel is a good choice of substrate to put ontop of the heatmat, you may need a few layers. If you want to go for a more natural look, then slate tile can be a nice choice Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by MusclyNerd Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 am

lol don't tell me that ill keep asking you questions Wink :P how long do you have to quarantine new leos for? And I didn't realize you worked for a pet store thats awsome which one is it I've been to petsathome and some reptile place when ive seen them. Ive seen that you can order them on the internet aswell like being sent through the post what is that all about is that actually safe for them :S

how many would you say is a safe maximum in the 36" vivarium im wanting I want more then 1 for my own pleasure but I don't want the geckos to be irritated.

MusclyNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:51 am

Quaratine should last around 60 days which should enable any ill health to rear its ugly head... I work at Spire Ridge Reptile Shop in Midgham (Near reading) but for free Very Happy I don't mind tho... I love my job Very Happy

Usually reptiles bought via the internet will be couried and usually kept in tubs. I have heard good things and bad things about these, so really depends on the courier!! We get our reptile for the shop shipped from Euro Rep and they always come in good health and good packaging!

36" is a nice big viv, and I reckon you could have 4-5 leos Smile I have something a bit smaller with 3 leos and have room for another one really Very Happy

Check out this guide before getting your gecko to make sure it is healthy and active http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t683-selecting-a-healthy-leopard-gecko
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by MusclyNerd Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you very much I finally feel like I have an idea of what I should be doing Ill let you know when I start getting equipment thanks again Smile

MusclyNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Karagain wrote:
No Mardy, they are not nocturnal as commonly thought. As Kel usually preach, they are active at DAWN and DUSK which makes them crepuscular!!!

lol most studies I've read mark leopard geckos as "nocturnal/crepuscular". I think the reason being they really aren't a specie that is often studied in the wild. They have been observed to come out during dusk & dawn, but they also do come out at night time as mine are more active when I turn my lights off to go to sleep.

So I guess the right way to say is they are nocturnal/crepuscular, but I just call them nocturnal because most people at least know what that word means Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down