Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Leo questions.

3 posters

Go down

General Leo questions. Empty General Leo questions.

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 am

Hi All,

Fistly, I would like to say thanks for everybodys help and quick replys on my questions and querys so far, much appreciated.

As many of you have said ask questions I have had a think and have come up with a few, I hope you don't mind lol?

(1) My temperature is fluctuating between 36.2*c--31.3*c, that is being read on my digital thermometer, which is taped to my heat mat beside the probe from the thermostat, using my thermostat to control the heat, is that ok?

(2) How can I tell the age of my baby Leopard Gecko? I bought him as a baby but i'm not too sure how old he is. He or she is about the length of my middle finger, any idea's? Could I weigh him when I can handle him a bit more?

(3) When can I start to handle Leo I've had him four days now and I think he is just about getting used to his new habitat. I don't want to freak him out but I dont want to leave him to long so he doesn't like being touched and isn't used to me, if that makes sense lol.

(4) As you probably guessed I'm using kitchen paper as substraite until he gets older then I will move on the a more perminant substraite. I've actualy got Calci Sand which I was going to use, would you recomend using this or would you advise using something else? I saw someone using slate is this easily maintaned and good to use?

(5) Lastly, when I got some equiptment the other week I picked up a bag of Spagnum Moss because I was told I would need it for when Leo starts to shed. What I need to know is; what to do with it, where to put it, how to keep it moist, and how much to use. Also, when do you reckon my little Leo is due to shed?

I hope this isn't to much to put into one post? It would be great if I could get some feedback from these questions off a few different members Smile

Once again, thanks so much.

Regards Craig & Little Leo (which hasn't been named yet :S)

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

General Leo questions. Empty Re: General Leo questions.

Post by smsararas2 Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:57 am

Hi Craig and thanks for all the questions. It is what we are here for and what we love to do Smile

1) That is a good temperature range to be in, but it is too bad that you cannot get it to be a constant temperature. That would be ideal.

2)If you post us a from the top picture of your lovely little leo we should be able to give you a close guess of it's age.

3)You can start trying to handle him now if you wish. We suggest starting out with putting your hand in his enclosure and just letting him sniff around you and get used to your presence. When you think he might be ready try getting your hand in front of him and gently touching his tail so he will walk onto your hand. Be warned this can take some time to get him used to you but so worth it in the end Wink

4)Slate is the best thing to use. Calcisand is actually the worst. It sounds good in theory but it is terrible for them. Because there is calcium in the sand they eat it which can lead to impaction(Constipation) and then some possible major health issues.

5)The moss is for the moist hide. Most of use tupperware containers or something cheap like that and cut a little door in it. Put the moss in it and spray it with water so that it is moist. This way when you little guy is ready to shed he can go in there and it will help him get it off. As for when is he going to shed that is all up to his body. You will notice that he will start to look all white and "ghostly" and you may see him shed or he may do it in private and you will notice that he is suddenly a brillant color. Then you will know he shed. He will eat his shed as it is full of nutrients and it also in the wild would keep predators from knowing of his presence.

Phew......there you have it....lol
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks for the reply Jolene, I have taken on board your suggestions and I think it's brill to have access to all this knowledge Smile

Just a few things...

What shouldn't I let the temperature go past or drop to?

Where can I get this slate from? Will my tank be suitable for this? (check photo)

Should I have the moss in the other hide on the hot or cold side, and should the moss always be available or should I only put it in the tank when he is due to shed?

Thanks again Smile

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 am

Also, I tryed to upload a couple photos by clicking on 'host an image' but can't find them, any ideas what i've done wrong?

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 am

The temperature should NOT drop below 33*F as a rule of thumb but with your leo being young an even better temperature would be more like 35*F. As for the slate you can get it at almost any hardware store and yes pretty much any tank is good for this. It is up to you where you put your moss. I try to have it at least partially on the warm side so that it created humidity which is what will help your little one shed.

Please see this link for how to post a photo:

http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t338-adding-an-image-to-your-post
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 am

General Leo questions. 30517815

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 am

Any ideas what kind 'Chou' is or how old he/she is would be great Smile

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 am

Any ideas?

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 am

Its hard to tell from the picture, but he looks like he may be a tangerine? (I'm not great with juvie morphs, so wait for confirmation).
He looks a few months old, 2 or 3 maybe?
Are all your questions being answered? Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Kathryn, thanks for the info its much appreciated. Yer my questions are getting answered but it only seems by one person at a time. Can everyone else see when I have posted a question or have added to a question? Thank again Smile

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 am

Haha, yep, everyone can see the questions. We usually just let one person answer if they have great answers. Seems to me Jolene is doing a great job answering the questions, so I was just leaving it to her Wink
If you would like me to answer questions along with the other who are answering your questions, I'd be happy to. Smile

Is there anything you need elaboration on? Or do you understand all the answers Jolene has given you?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

No Jolene has done a great job, thankyou very much. I do have a couple more questions but I was going to open a new topic and do it. Should I do that very time I want to ask a new question? Thanks again Craig.

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 am

You can if you'd like, but if your gonna ask like 10 questions at once I would keep it in one thread.
But say you had a question regarding health, and then another regarding husbandry, you can post them in their appropriate sections (health in health and husbandry in health and housing). Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down