Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

questions about housing multiple gecko's

4 posters

Go down

questions about housing multiple gecko's  Empty questions about housing multiple gecko's

Post by xjkeith Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:45 am

new to the forum have some questions. my female leo is a little over a year old, my male leo is about a year and a half old. they are in separate tank's and have never met each other. a month ago my friend gave me a huge tank and a incubator and now im curious about breeding.

i have been reading online that it's better to have more than one female in the tank with the male, is this ture?

also after the female lays her egg's it's a good idea to remove the male and let the female relax and get her weight up. is this ture?

also how do i go about introduce the male to the females, females to other females?

the gecko's i own now are healthy i have been feeding them crickets and mealworms dusted with calcium with d3 and multi-vitamin's twice a week and they each have a dish of calcium in their tank.

this is my first time breeding thanks for any tip's or help.

xjkeith

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 16

Back to top Go down

questions about housing multiple gecko's  Empty Re: questions about housing multiple gecko's

Post by Mardy Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 am

You can house multiple females with a male to form a "breeding colony", but no it's not a question about better or anything. It's not better or worse to have more than 1 female to go with a male.

Yes it's better to remove the male after copulation to allow the female to be stress free. Males tend to attempt to mate more often than the female wants to. It could break out into fights.

When introducing new geckos, you need a 60-90 day quarantine period to make sure they are not sick and that they do not introduce new parasites/diseases into your existing colony. Once quarantine is done, one method that helps when introducing a male to female is by putting something that the male use inside the female's tank for awhile, allow the female to get used to the scent. A lot of people have reported good results doing it this way.

As for female to female, make sure they are similar size, make sure they don't fight, bite, or tail wave when looking at each other. It helps to rearrange the hides and do a full cleaning so your existing female won't be as territorial about her "living space".

Good luck questions about housing multiple gecko's  131791
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

questions about housing multiple gecko's  Empty Re: questions about housing multiple gecko's

Post by Mystic Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Males tend to attempt to mate more often than the female wants to. It could break out into fights.
Lol isn't that true with most all couples XD
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Haha Cortney, you are so right!!
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:41 am

lol women.. Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down