Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banana is not eating properly

+3
Kermit
Karagain
gothicgurrrl
7 posters

Go down

Banana is not eating properly Empty Banana is not eating properly

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:59 am

Well.. Banana went through a stage of not eating.. and refusing morioworms and after that struggle and finally getting her to eat 3 morioworms in a week.. she stopped again.

I tried offering locusts thinking she was bored of crawling food and needed something more lively. She didnt eat them.. so I tried mealworms in a dish.. she didn't eat any of them.. then i gave in after 2 weeks almost of her refusing food and gave her waxworms for a week... trying to mix mealworms in to confuse her hoping she'd eat one of the mealies too.. never did.

Last week, I decided I didn't want her to become addicted to waxworms so I stopped them and offered only mealworms again.. she didn't eat for a week and 2 days. Now I have morioworms again to see if she's charged her mind.. and nope. 2 evenings in a row, she just watches them like she's going to eat them and then licks them and walks away.

I haven't changed anything in her tank. The temps are the same.. they are 31.5 - 33.5 C, changing throughout the day but never under or over that. Everything else about her tank and husbandry is the same as always.. she was a healthy 93g a couple of months ago.. she was 87g a month ago. She's lost weight but not alot. She's shedding normally.. and more active Smile

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.. :/

gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Banana is not eating properly Empty Re: Banana is not eating properly

Post by Karagain Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:57 am

Has she lost any visable weight or body condition? If shes still nice and fat then it is normal to go off her food. Especially around this time of year as it is breeding season Smile she may be producing eggs (she will still do this even if she has never bred) and it is normal to go off her food.

My female has only eaten a few waxworms over the past few weeks, I think she is either gravid or getting ready for breeding Smile I wouldn't worry too much unless she has losts lots of weight!!

Keep an eye on her and keep trying to feed her =]
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 am

nope she hasn't lost any visible weight really Smile I thought it was normal but because it's gone on for so long now I was starting to get worried. I don't think she's gravid, I check her belly everyday almost and I can't see anything.

Jordan has given me some tips that might make her eat the morioworms Smile so I will try them and get back to you on how she's doing Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:19 pm

I tend to agree with Becca here... even my boy Eros has gone off feed for his first official of age breeding season (not that I'm going to breed or even have a female in the house unless you count my med. Gecko). Call it something in the air at this age, hormones, what have you.... he still poos and is a chubby monkey, active and always wanting out or tearing up his litterbox (he's taken to kicking the sand out of it). Altogether the last 6 weeks he's eaten 2 juvie grasshoppers (locusts) 1 mayfly,2 or 3 Crickets (yes I broke down and got him crickets since it had been 2 weeks since he ate and he really dug the locusts) and 3 super worms. 9 bugs in a month doesn't seem much does it... that's average 1.2-ish bugs a week. I just chalk it up to adults don't need as much to eat. We worry about it more than they do Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 pm

dont panic sarah, gary's super giant Goliath has just gone for about 4/5months without eating anything and he did the same last year all you can do is keep offering them food and keep a eye on there weight/body condition and currently he is only eating once a week. when i spoke to my vet about it he puts it down to being breeding season and goliath thinks more about mating than eating and altho he lost weight both times he always puts it back on with extra Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 pm

i agree with sam i wouldnt worrie to much sarah... my elmo is off his food aswell, he went 8 days without eating the other week and has just gone 6 days again without eaten bt fed the night before last, aslong as she dont seem to be looseing weight then like everyone has been saying just keep offering it to her, i know its worring i got worried and even took my elmo back to where i got him from to have him check but they even said he is fine, he was just not hungry, when they are hungry they will eat Very Happy
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by mark1305 Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 am

Whe rambo wasnt eating i was told to bathe him twice a day in a solution of water and repto-boost as the electolites in the solution are taken in through the skin also and can help to kick start there metabolism, i tried this and rambo did slowly go back onto his food.
mark1305
mark1305

LGF Points LGF Points : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:34 am

Smile thanks everyone!

I won't worry then.. I will just keep trying to offer her morioworms Very Happy

.. I was considering getting some crickets.. even though they are horrible and I hate them lol Very Happy but I just want her to eat Sad I feel sorry for her when all the pets in my room are eating and she is refusing Sad

haha Smile I know how you feel Kel Smile Banana kicks her sand everywhere and is always tipping over her calcium Very Happy She's a messy lady lol
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:19 am

HAHA, I have many that are so neat and tidy, always poop in the same corner never spill a drop of calcium or their litter box then I have some teenagers that just get in their liter box to kick the sand everywhere and MUST poop everywhere, I suppose or it just doesn't smell like them??!!LOL
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 am

Banana is not eating properly Dscf2123

Still a great weight Smile Im not worried now Very Happy

Banana is not eating properly Dscf2124

And I got this lovely pic just after weighing her Very Happy
Enlarge the pic.. her eye looks awesome!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mark1305 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 am

thumbs up 2 Thats one nice looking leo you have!
mark1305
mark1305

LGF Points LGF Points : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down