Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still not eating properly

4 posters

Go down

Still not eating properly Empty Still not eating properly

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 am

I bought dexter about a month and a half ago and he is still hardly eating. I posted my concerns on here when I first got him and have done everything I could think of to get him to eat. I got rid of his tile floor and now have him on kitchen roll as I thought the floor temp might be too low, it's 32c on the warm side with kitchen roll floor. I have also tried leaving no food for a few days at a time then puting some in and that did not work, I tried leaving a bowl of mealworms in at all times and he didn't eat any at all, I tried a bowl of wax worms in at all times as I heard they are like chocolate for geckos but he only ever ate one and since then has only at one cricket that I killed for him and left in the middle or the tank (one week ago). I also put crickets in the fridge for a while befor putting them in to slow them down incase they are too fast. I tried to leave crickets in over night and he didnt eat, I tried crickets in for a few hours he didn't eat, I tried hoppers instead of crickets and he ate one once. Anyone got any ideas?

He has shed twice since I got him without any problems and poos every few days but it isnt firm, it was the first ever poo but since has been a brown liquid. I have been back to the store I got him and they said they had him 3 months and he ate about 2-3 crickets per day.

Can't think or anymore to add but will answer anymore questions you can think of.
chris_street
chris_street

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 186

Back to top Go down

Still not eating properly Empty Re: Still not eating properly

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 am

If he has runny poo theres a good chance he might have a parasite/protozoa infestation. I think a fecal exam is in order by a vet.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks I will take him in and see what they say, if that is the issue it would stop him eating? His tail is getting really skinny now as well. Worried again!
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 am

Most vet offices will take a fecal exam if you bring his fresh waste in to them, and they are usually very cheap. Tell them you want a fecal exam tested for parasites. I don't know about taking him in to see a vet, he's been moved once recently and moving him around more would only create more stress.

So I'd say do a fecal exam first, that way you can rule out parasite infections. Or if he does have parasites, then a vet will likely want to see him and prescribe some antibiotics.

Edit: Do you know how old he is? Also have you been tracking his weight to see if he's losing weight at all?
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 am

chris_street wrote:Thanks I will take him in and see what they say, if that is the issue it would stop him eating? His tail is getting really skinny now as well. Worried again!

Hi,

Did you ever increase the temps? They were too low on your first post. You should have a range of 24C cool side---- 33C to 35C on the warm end. The UTH stays on 24 hours. Just incase Smile He needs a fecal exam for sure.

herp625
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 am

Yes the uth stays on 24 hours a day, I have a thermostat for the uth set at 33 but rarely turns itself off (to be honest dont think it is the best) I was really concerned about the heat and that is why he is now on paper towl, the hot side is much warmer now then when he had the vynal tile. To be honest I have probably worried too much about the floor temp.
Thought the day because of the room temp it does get warmer especially with the heating on all day as well, I also have a blue nightlight that puts the air temp up on a night a little, (I know they get hey through the belly but every little helps).
I was also worried about stressing him so moved him into one of the bed rooms a while back to see if that may help but it hasn't.
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down