Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with identifying leos for breeding

2 posters

Go down

Help with identifying leos for breeding Empty Help with identifying leos for breeding

Post by mrsvaleriejacobsen Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:44 am

We breed bearded dragons and recently, we got a few LGs for pets. After I got them, for the kids, we found some pretty morphs and would like to start breeding geckos. One of ours was gravid when we got her, so we do have two eggs in the incubator now.

Last week I bought out all the supplies from a breeder who was moving out of state, so I have plenty of housing and supplies for everyone. We also have a large (250 breeders) dubia colony, a regular supply of crickets, and other insects as well.

I put pictures up on my blog and included on each photo what I was told by the breeder who sold them to me--
http://creepycrawlycreatures.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/introducing-our-geckos/
I tried to do close-ups of their faces and eyes too, but a few of those are blurry. I only had my iPhone and it was evening so they were busy. I could retake some of those or just describe the eyes.

On my pictures I have marked age, sex, first initial of breeder who sold to me, date I got the gecko, then below that what I was told about the genetics, if anything. So "Adult, F, K, 2-12" means adult, female, bought from Kim, February 2012.

Would anyone be willing to look and give me your impressions? Also, if you have any thoughts on which ones would be good to breed together, which ones shouldn't be kept together, and which ones shouldn't be allowed to breed at all, please let me know.

Thanks so very much!

mrsvaleriejacobsen

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 25

Back to top Go down

Help with identifying leos for breeding Empty Re: Help with identifying leos for breeding

Post by kathstew Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:45 am

OK, a pretty big no no in breeding is not mixing albino strains. There are three albino strains: tremper, bell and rainwater. So, you can mix a tremper and tremper. And can mix a bell and a bell. But don't go mixing say, a tremper to a bell.
I noticed you have #9 and #10 paired together; I would separate them, and cull any eggs you get from that pair, as they are going to het tremper and bell. Same with #10 and #12.

OK, I am still learning, so bear with me Wink
1 + 2 look like normals/high yellows.
3 = super hypo
4= SHTCTB (Super hypo tangerine carrot tail baldy)
5= definitely a tremper. How much does he weigh? and how old is he supposed to be?
6= definitely looks to be a blizzard. I can't tell if its a blazing blizzard though. Blazing blizzard is a blizzard with a strain of albino. What kind of eyes does it have?
7=Super hypo, possibly baldy? (does she have spots on her head?) kinda looks like it has a regenerated tail as well?
8=not really sure. looks like a high yellow?
9=Super hypo
10=bell albino
11=Super hypo tangerine carrot tail (SHTCT)
12=not sure...
13=not sure. that is a regenerated tail though. it dropped its tail
14= blizzard
15=can you get a better eye picture maybe? its an albino of some sort...
16= Super hypo tangerine
17=no idea.

Hets you can't see. Hets are carried by the leo, but not shown. Only way to prove them is by test breeding.

Albino and blizzard are recessive traits. Meaning both parents would need to carry the trait, either being a blizzard or being het for blizzard.

Personally, I don't know if I'd breed #11. I'd just be worried he did pass that tail on to his offspring if he was born with it... even if previous offspring didn't have the defect. Thats just my opinion though.
Also, I wouldn't breed the petco babies, as you really have NO idea what genetics they could be carrying. I'd keep them for pets only.

What are you trying to accomplish by breeding? Like, are you going for brighter orange, or do you like the whiter morphs (like blizzards)?
Personally, I like the brighter morphs, such as tangerines. So I would figure out what you like, and what you want from what you have.

I'd do selective breeding to create super hypo tangerines, and try and create a bright bright tangerine in them. You could also try getting a blizzard male for your two blizzards. The blazing blizzard x blizzard should get blizzard het albino. Breed the offspring back to the blazing blizzard to create more blazing blizzards. I'd put any matching albinos together any trempers go with a tremper, any bells go with a bell).

You also need to assess them to see if they are ready for breeding. Are they at breeding weight? Are they healthy, eating right? etc.
Hope I've helped. Just wait for someone else to chime in about the morphs, as I am definitely NOT an expert Wink

They are gorgeous by the way! Love love them!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Help with identifying leos for breeding Empty Re: Help with identifying leos for breeding

Post by mrsvaleriejacobsen Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:35 am

Thank you SO much!

I forgot to say that #3, #9, and #11 are fourth generation descendants of #10 & #12, who have been a breeding pair long-term. I got those five together from a breeder who was moving out of state and sold me all of the equipment and supplies along with these five geckos.

I just double-checked my notes and she did say that #9 and #11 are two different albinos, like I noted on the pictures, so I will separate them.

mrsvaleriejacobsen

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsvaleriejacobsen Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:37 am

Maybe I could put #5 and #11 together. The breeder thinks the tail is accidental and not genetic. She says it hasn't showed up in any of his 25 offspring, which all have normal-sized tails.

I do like the bright colors, but also just the variety. I think the Blazing Blizzard is very pretty.

mrsvaleriejacobsen

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsvaleriejacobsen Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:38 am

What I put in brackets on the photos is parentage, when I knew it.

Most of these, I think I could go back and get more answers. Will add more info shortly.

mrsvaleriejacobsen

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsvaleriejacobsen Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Okay, I am thinking of re-homing #1, #2, #8, and #15 to someone who wants pets only.

Group 1--
#11 adult male (4th gen) SHCT, 100% het Tremper from K
#7 now (super hypo)
#16 now (super hypo)
#4 later (SHTCTB)
#5 later (Tremper Giant with parents TGiant and TSuperGiant)

Group 2--
#12 Bell albino het Blizzard from K
#9 now (super hypo 66% het Bell)
#10 now (Bell Albino het blizzard)
#6 later (Blazing blizzard from blazing blizzard & double eclipse eye blizzard)

Group 3--
#13 adult male Sunglow - Hybino from J
#14 now (Blizzard, 2 eggs in incubator)
#17 now (albino, don't know what type)
#3 later (super hypo, 66% het Bell)

If anyone would do it differently, let me know. (#3, #9, and #11 are fourth generation descendants of #10 & #12)

mrsvaleriejacobsen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down