Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding

5 posters

Go down

Breeding Empty Breeding

Post by Immy Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 pm

I'm thinking about breeding Rango with a female soon. I've read up on it as much as I can, and am happy that I have everything needed. However, I've read on a couple of websites that I can house a female and male together and then I've also read that I can't because it would cause the female unnecessary stress. Although I do want to breed them, I also want my male (Rango) to have a friend in his vivarium and I can't house males together because they will fight, so the only option is to have a female move in with him. What should I do? confused
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Breeding Empty Re: Breeding

Post by Karagain Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 am

From experience I can tell you that 1 male and 1 female doesn't work out too well, because when the female is gravid (pregnant) he can still try and mate with her causing her stress and even causing injury. I found the best solution is to either keep them seperate til breeding or have ATLEAST 1 male to 2+ females x
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 am

Rango doesn't need a friend, he isn't lonely. Leo are solitary creatures that only come together for breeding then go their seperate ways. We need to not apply human emotion to the needs of our herps. Very few creaures were ever designed for pack living. Don't let YOUR feelings that rango should have a friend obscure the actual need for a friend, leos don't need friends and live prfectly happy all their lives in a slitary environment. If you want to breed, make sure your completely educated, and provide seperate set ups for both mal and female.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 am

thank you kel!! i agree soooooo much about too many people apply human emotions to reptiles....and no offense at all to you immy, none at all. i just see so many people do that, and i guess it is natural for us to do, but reptiles are simply uncapable of having human~like emotions. he is fine on his own, and as kel said, he will be much better off, and happier.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Immy Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Okay, thank you. It's good to know.
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by avangelgeckos Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:50 pm

From my experience with leo's I have seen it both ways. One a gecko will only live successfully with others in the cage with them, either it be one or more. As well as on the other end. When I see a gecko losing weight it is because they enjoy living alone, but sometimes even that is not enough. They like very small areas to live in. Not really a big tub. So you do have options. I have kept a male with a female and it worked out just fine. If you do decide to put a female with the male do make sure the weight of the female is far than adequate.

So many things can vary so do keep that in mind.
avangelgeckos
avangelgeckos

Status Status : Here
LGF Points LGF Points : 129

https://www.facebook.com/avangel.lg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down