Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with tail plz.

5 posters

Go down

Help with tail plz. Empty Help with tail plz.

Post by chadisscoo Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 am

Help with tail plz. Tail11
Hey guys i noticed her tail the other night as a bit disformed at the end. Thought maybe the male bit her but this morning this is what It looks like after shed. Ive taken her out and put her into a different box.

chadisscoo

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

Help with tail plz. Empty Re: Help with tail plz.

Post by chadisscoo Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 am

Help with tail plz. Tail212

chadisscoo

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 am

Hello.

It looks like it has been either injured from fighting or maybe stuck shed? IF you could fill out our health questionnaire. It will help us help you Smile

http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 am

It looks like a burn to me, one of my leos had a burn like that.
Can you please fill out the health questionnaire? It will help us in helping you. Smile

If it is a burn, its likely the end will fall off. When my leo had a burn on the end of its tail I treated it by cleaning it every day, keeping her on paper towel substrate that was changed everyday to prevent bacteria build-up. I also put a dab of polysporin on the tip.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:58 am

It could also have been prematurely shed skin. The tip of the tail shed before it was really ready, kinda like pulling a scab off, revealing fresh delicate skin beneath it. This happened to my boy once too. You could try a soak and gently rub with a qtip but if it is prematurly shed skin it will likely make the tip bleed. I would keep it moisturised with a little mineral oil to protect it until the new skin toughens up a bit. It doesn't look like a burn to me really as more of the tail would be encompassed, like the entire bottom side of the tail, but once you fill out the care questionaire and we see your husbandry we can give you better opinions thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geckochick89 Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 pm

It looks like the end is becoming necrotic, and what should happen is the tip of the tail should shrivel up and drop off on its own, just make sure to keep the wound clean and clear of any substrate or shed. This has happened to 2 of my geckos, both of which were rescues. The first one was attacked by a massive male who bit her tail so hard that it shriveled up and dropped off. Her tail healed up with no problems its just a bit shorter now. The second leo I have that this happened to only lost the very tip of her tail, <1cm, and I'm pretty sure what happened is the other female she was with mistook her tail for food.
Once the tail looks like that, there usually isnt much you can do to save it, so just keep it from getting infected and it should work itself out. If you think the wound is getting infected, I would find a vet right away.
geckochick89
geckochick89

Status Status : 25 leos and counting...
LGF Points LGF Points : 212

http://iherp.com/cmor1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down