Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Gecko Handling Problems

3 posters

Go down

New Gecko Handling Problems Empty New Gecko Handling Problems

Post by Tobgrat Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:07 am

Hello!
Last saturday I purchased a Morph leopard Gecko from the UK petshop, Pets at home. I've since I've had her shes been very jumpy, within in ten minutes of having her she'd already wriggled her way behind my guitar amp. I've handled my friends leopard gecko plenty of times and he's chilled despite me being basically a stranger. The problem has calmed now but she's still jumpy, she doesn't like to walk onto my hand from her vivarium nor does she like to stay on my arms for one. She's always trying to get onto the floor and what I presume is away. Is this normal? Is there anyway I can combat it? Will it just ease out with time?
Please help:(
Thanks,
Toby.

Tobgrat

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 11

Back to top Go down

New Gecko Handling Problems Empty Re: New Gecko Handling Problems

Post by Smiley Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:19 am

It will most likely ease out with time. But each gecko is different. Some just don't like being handled. But most of my geckos when i bring them home are jumpy at first then over the next few days i slowly start to handle them more and more while still adjusting to their new homes. After about a week they are used to me and are not as jumpy when i touch them or handle them. Also, when handling make sure they see your hand coming in well in advance. It can sometimes really surprise them, and they get scared of your hand.
Smiley
Smiley

LGF Points LGF Points : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobgrat Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 am

Thankyou! I do hope so because she's a very pretty lizard, I'll just handle her very slowly:)

Tobgrat

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfbane468 Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am

try not to try handle her him for a week let them get used to there new house before u try to pick him up i had that with cleo she was hissing and biting for the first 2 days i left her for a week then slowly pt my hand in a little to get her used to it and over a few days slowly moved it forward then eventually he will come to u and will then stop trying to get away from u
where in the uk are u from
wolfbane468
wolfbane468
Loyal Member

Status Status : XBOX gamertag wolfbane468
LGF Points LGF Points : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobgrat Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 am

Okay, thanks for the information:) And London, why?

Tobgrat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down