Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have some problems...

+2
samsleopardgeckos
Kodieh
6 posters

Go down

Have some problems... Empty Have some problems...

Post by Kodieh Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:51 am

Toothless has now regurged two circkets he finally took down for me, and pooped out an odd sack like thing [Picture Here], but this is not the first time he's done this. I assume he's impacted, besides this sack pooping thing, but I couldn't imagine how he could be.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Have some problems... Empty Re: Have some problems...

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:05 am

looks like a shed skin bundle/sack, one of my boys poops something like that out every so often but doesn't regurge anything. might be a idea to get his poop checked for worms just incase x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 am

Shed skin poo by the looks of it. If they eat there skin, which they do, it has to come out Wink

The regurges are more worrying. A gecko shouldn't regurge from just two crickets, not exactly a big a meal is it. I ought to find a vet just to check him over to see why he's regurging from such small meals.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:46 am

thumbs up I figured I'd be going to the vet. Would the shed skin poo be a good sample to check for worms?
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm

A shed poop shouldn't be any different than a regular poop if your leo is digesting properly. Yes they do have them, but I don't think its somthing to freak out about. What are your temps kodie? If it were me I'd raise temps at least 3 degrees but no more than 5 on your hot side for a week. Every other day give a small dab or 2 of mineral oil, not a lot, just a couple licks. This will help clear the bowel and help things move along easier. The regurge isn't surprising if he was all backed up with under digested shed. First feeding id offer 1 cricket and a wax worm or 2, easy to digest things, small meals for the next 2 feedings then increase by another cricket or a couple meal worm aliens (eros loves those things). Remove the jumper legs on the crix. By the end of the 7 day rehab cycle he should be back up to regular feeding portions. If he's not or he's not improving get a good stool sample and have it checked for parasites esp. If he's losing body tone. A shed skin sample wouldn't be good for this imo... its all skin and no waste product which is where shed parasite cysts will be more likely found.

Ok that's about all I got in me for now. Please keep updating.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I'll bump the temps, and am planning on going in to the doctor this coming Thursday for the little guy as well as trying the mineral oil.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by COLDasHELL Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Try adding some electrolyte for reptiles to the water, if you can get it. It helps increase appetite, also helps with stress.
COLDasHELL
COLDasHELL

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm

COLDasHELL wrote:Try adding some electrolyte for reptiles to the water, if you can get it. It helps increase appetite, also helps with stress.

I don't think that it'll help increase appetite and decrease stress. What electrolytes do is help prevent dehydration in extreme situations (no water for an extended period of time/refusal to eat or drink, etc). When you give a reptile electrolytes, what you're doing is trying to replace sodium, chloride, potassium, etc. etc... What this does is help kick the muscles and nerves back into gear and functioning when the reptile is severely dehydrated (and electrolytes give your reptile water when it isn't drinking).

If anything it could stimulate an appetite, but it's mainly for re-hydration. And it'll make a dehydrated leo more active because it's becoming re-hydrated. As for stress, it could be caused by many things. If a leo is starving, that in itself is stressful which makes your suggestion to give electrolytes partially correct.

In this case though, it's already passing food (thus poop). If the poop isn't correctly formed, it isn't an appetite issue, but more or less a possible temperature or digestion issue. Smile

Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by COLDasHELL Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:47 pm

@Tsuhei: Actually many people use electrolytes to help with stress and appetite issues with newly brought home reptiles. In this case I agree with you it might not help, but also will not hurt. I also agree with you that it might be a temperature issue witch might cause improper digestion. I don't think its an impaction though
COLDasHELL
COLDasHELL

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:32 pm

COLDasHELL wrote:@Tsuhei: Actually many people use electrolytes to help with stress and appetite issues with newly brought home reptiles. In this case I agree with you it might not help, but also will not hurt. I also agree with you that it might be a temperature issue witch might cause improper digestion. I don't think its an impaction though

I don't want to seem to disagree with you, but I want to throw this out there for people reading this thread:

If you give a reptile too many electrolytes, especially if it doesn't need it, you can actually upset their body's natural electrolyte balance. It's kind of like giving a reptile too many vitamins (hypervitaminosis)...it's good in small amounts or when needed, but if you just give your reptile the supplement just for the heck of it, it could, in turn, damage your pet's health. It's almost like saying, "I have antibiotics for strep throat. I don't have it now, but I'm going to take it anyway to be safe."

If you do choose to give a reptile electrolytes, I suggest not using electrolyte supplements...instead, I suggest using electrolyte replacement items like pedialyte. Again, not unless it actually needs it.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by COLDasHELL Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 am

Yes, true, giving too much is not good. Every case is different, so you have to decide what to use and how much to use, not to go overkill
COLDasHELL
COLDasHELL

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:41 am

The thing to consider here, is when he finally ate the two crickets, he was on an almost two week long no food kick. He hadn't anything for me for two weeks up the two crickets. I weigh my leo's every 5 days, and he's only ever actually lost 1.7 grams of weight, but it really seems like his tail is shrinking.

I thought brumation at first, but when he actually did lose weight I thought otherwise.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down