Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on feeders

2 posters

Go down

Question on feeders Empty Question on feeders

Post by nicky.collier1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

My mother recently purchased some "freeze dried" super worms and crickets, according to the manufactuer, they are "flash frozen" and retain 89% of there original nutrients. The nutritional values are even on the container. I know my leos will eat them if i re-hydrate them and wiggle them on the ground. For the last week they have had maybe two feedings each week of these, and then there normal live meal worm diet, with 3 wax worms once a week. My Question is, should i go off what the manufacture says and belive they still contain some nutrients? or should i just ditch the 12$ mom spent on these and just give them to my turtle as treats? I mainly decided to go ahead and feed them as a variety to just the meal worms and waxies. i know for a fact my leos refuse to eat live crickets and super worms, they act afraid of them, even run away when they see them.

nicky.collier1

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 225

Back to top Go down

Question on feeders Empty Re: Question on feeders

Post by Kermit Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Feeding freeze dried foods isn't recommended as the freeze drying process eliminates alot of the vitamins and minerals you get from live foods plus they are loaded with sodium and preservatives. If your leo is afraid of supers and crickets theres a ton of other live feeder options like silk worms, butter worms, phoenix worms, or dubia roaches (actually any discoid roach) you can consider. Besides you can't gutload a freeze dried feeder.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicky.collier1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:38 pm

true, this is why i was asking, my mother was wanting me to switch to the freeze dried because there cheaper, can not even use roaches or else my mother would kill me. She is terrified of them. I dont have a credit or debit card so there is no way i can order any feeders and the stores here only sell red worms, canadian worms, wax worms, super worm, meal worms, and crickets. But i do have a tree out here that is loaded with phoenix worms every spring/summer, I thought about getting some off the tree next spring and keeping them in a cage with food for a week to make sure theres no parisites or any thing. even thought about freezing some in the freezer for 3 days, like people do with mice for snakes to kill off all parisites. but i am not so sure about that still, i perfer to buy feeders.

nicky.collier1

Back to top Go down

Post by nicky.collier1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 pm

But thank you, ill ditch the freezedried feeders and stick to my live store bought ones.

nicky.collier1

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:55 pm

You can check bait shops as well for out of the ordinary feeders. They usually stock then for the fishermen. You don't need a credit card to order on line, you can link your bank account to paypal, or buy a disposable credit card that you load as you go to buy on line. Surely your mom might be willing to help since she seems like an economically savvy person. There are options, sometimes you just have to think a little out of the box. Mind if I ask how old you are?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down