Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woohoo! New feeders INC!

5 posters

Go down

Woohoo! New feeders INC! Empty Woohoo! New feeders INC!

Post by Tsuhei Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:48 am

I purchased my leo a few new feeders to try out for some diet variation (finally!). I purchased some silk worms and some phoenix worms from Mulberry farms and they're supposed to arrive today!! Very Happy I do, however, have a few questions...

I heard that silkies grow SUPER fast. From what I understand, I'll be getting somewhere around 20 "medium" silkies (about 3/4 to 1 inch) with some food that is supposed to last for two weeks. Since they grow so fast, should I limit how much I feed them? I don't want their nutritional content to go down, but I really don't want to have a bunch of 3 inch silkies crawling around! How long will it take for them to get as big as two inches long? Three inches? I just wanna know how much time I have to offer them to my gecko before they get too big.

I really don't want these guys to go to waste and I don't feel like breeding silk worms quite yet...I still have somewhat of a bug phobia and if a pregnant female somehow manages to fly out and lay eggs...I think I'd lose it. Razz

Also, this is up for offer for the local keepers in AZ (there's a few on the forum!):

If a few silkies do end up getting bigger than acceptable to feed my juvenile, I'll be more than happy to give you the big ones for your adults or other herps. Or if you want to breed them, that works too. Smile I'll keep everyone updated if it does get to that point that I need to "rehome" some feeders!
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Woohoo! New feeders INC! Empty Re: Woohoo! New feeders INC!

Post by Tsuhei Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Double post - Sorry but I just wanted to give an update:

The silkworms arrived today and I gotta say...they're pretty filthy critters. They poop like crazy..had to clean out 2 inches of poop from their container before feeding Typhon...as you can see, I think he might like them... Smile

Woohoo! New feeders INC! Dscn0393k
(Don't mind the little poop by his left foot...that came from the silkie Razz)

He quickly wolfed that down and went around the tank in hunting mode, so I gave him the last two mealies in his bowl. After that, he continued to stay in hunting mode. Shocked I offered him a phoenix worm but all he did was lick it, crunch it to death, and spit it out. -_- But he continued to wander around the tank.

So I watched him for a little, thinking that he might have bigger eyes than his tummy until he went up to the side of the tank where the silk worm container was and he started to stare at them intently. He even tried to bite at them a few times!

So I fished out one more for him and the result:

Woohoo! New feeders INC! Dscn0396q

He is definitely a happy camper now...he's sound asleep in his warm hide. Very Happy Hooray for finding Typhon's favorite feeder!
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:02 pm

awww Smile cute pics!
he looks like he's loving those.. i can't seem to find any phoenix worms in the pet stores, I might order some online Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 am

Awwww! That is so cute!
I have a feeling you are going to be buying lots of silkworms from now on! LOL!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:22 am

kathstew wrote:Awwww! That is so cute!

Hahah probably...I'm very pleased to say that it looks like Typhon will be more regular with his bowel movements from now on as well! Smile I saw a new poop in his "litter box" and it had quite a lot of moisture from the silkies...I'm loving these little suckers more and more already.

@gothicgurrrl:

He really does love them and I'm glad I bought them! I wish he'd actually EAT the phoenix worms...I tried another and he crunched it to death like the first and spit it out. I guess I'll just have to keep trying until he either stops biting them or finally eats one.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:21 am

Awww I think its always good to mix up the diet abit Smile keep them enriched Woohoo! New feeders INC! 191501
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 am

Tsuhei wrote:
kathstew wrote:Awwww! That is so cute!

Hahah probably...I'm very pleased to say that it looks like Typhon will be more regular with his bowel movements from now on as well! Smile I saw a new poop in his "litter box" and it had quite a lot of moisture from the silkies...I'm loving these little suckers more and more already.

Woohoo! New feeders INC! 800892966 Yaa! Regular pooping! LOL
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Well I finally got to feed Typhon the Phoenix Worms...he regurged them within ten minutes. I guess he doesn't like them...anyone in AZ want my Phoenix Worms? Lol.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:17 pm

He is so cute!
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down