Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

morphs with blue eyebrows as adults?

4 posters

Go down

morphs with blue eyebrows as adults? Empty morphs with blue eyebrows as adults?

Post by Tyler1022 Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 am

Hi.
What I've noticed with leopard geckos is that babies seem to almost always have blue eyebrows, but I've never seen an adult with this coloration. Are there any morphs in which adults keep this feature? I really like it.

oh and I'm new to all these morph names so if you could define these terms:
Hypo
Het
Enigma
Carottail
Sunglow
And any others I should know!

Last edited by Tyler1022 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add "het")

Tyler1022

Status Status : New owner of a leopard gecko!
LGF Points LGF Points : 54

Back to top Go down

morphs with blue eyebrows as adults? Empty Re: morphs with blue eyebrows as adults?

Post by Mardy Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:51 am

The blue coloring is due to their thinner skin when they are younger, so their eyes are bulging through the skin.

As for morphs, someone posted a pretty good description of most morphs along with pictures
2 threads down.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

morphs with blue eyebrows as adults? Empty Re: morphs with blue eyebrows as adults?

Post by Tyler1022 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am

So no? Sad

Tyler1022

Status Status : New owner of a leopard gecko!
LGF Points LGF Points : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by nicky.collier1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:11 pm

i dont know about blue, but my 100gram 11 month old giant tremper male has green.

nicky.collier1

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 225

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:42 am

my mack snow blizzard still has blue over his eyes, though it is a little darker than as a baby.

hypo; reduced melanins in the skin(black color pigments) in leopard geckos, this usually means less spots on the back.

het; a gene carrier(but NOT visible morph) of any given resessive trait. eg. 'het' albino would be a gene carrier for any given albino, but not an actual albino...to produce albinos, you would have to breed a 'het' albino to either another 'het' albino, or an albino...or obviously breed two albinos togeather

carrot tail; having a varying degree of orange in the tail, the degree of orange to start calling any animal a carrot tail will vary from person to person, i dont call them carrot tails unless at least 45 percent of the tail is orange...at least i wont sell them as a carrot tail....

sunglow; super hypo tangerine carrot tail (tremper) albino. that is the genetics of the ORIGINAL "sunglows". some people call bell hypos sunglows, or hybinos...i would agree with hybino, but NOT sunglow.

a resessive trait is a trait that is not shown in the first generation if bred to a non gene carrier...albino is an example of a resessive trait.

by breeding an albino to a normal, you would get all 100% het albino normals.

breed two hets togeather, aproximately 25% will be visible albinos, the "normal" babies will all have a 50% chance of being het for albino.

so if someone says "this animal is a 50% het albino" ...that means that particular animal has a 50% chance of being het for albino...NOT that the animal IS 50% het for albino...it is either a het, or not a het...it ONLY means that the animal has a 50% chance to be a het.

dominant or co dominant means that the trait IS visible in the first generation. co dominant is half of the dominant form of that trait, so if you breed two co doms togeather, you can produce the dominant or "super" form of that morph. example, mack snow is a "co dominant" trait....so if you breed a mack snow to a normal, about half the babies will be visible mack snows(there is no "het" for dominant or co dominant traits.)

if you breed a mack snow to a mack snow, you could produce a mack "super" snow...or the (complete) dominant form of snow.

breed a super snow to a normal, and all of your babies will be snows(not supers, just snows).

complete dominant or just 'dominant' traits have no 'super' form. enigmas are an example of this. the gene works the exact same way as a co dominant morph, there is just no super form, the gene is already complete.... so if you breed an enigma to a normal, about half the babies will be enigmas in the first generation...you will not get a 'super enigma' by breeding two enigmas togeather. breeding two enigmas togeather is sometimes frowned upon, because they say it will worsten the enigma syndrome, but i bred two enigmas togeather this past season, with no shown syndrome at all to this point...more will be posted as i learn more....i have more to learn, as i have only done this once, i may or may not continue with this test breeding, i have not decided yet...but you will all know what i do.

these numbers and percentages are only an average! you could get higher or lower numbers, especially when dealing with dominant and co dominant genes. the resessive are usually a little more consistant.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down