Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection)

+3
samsleopardgeckos
Maggie118
Xelleybelly
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Empty Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection)

Post by Xelleybelly Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 pm

My Leo, Dean, about 2 weeks ago I noticed a big, red/purple lump on his right teste. I took him to the vet that evening and they thought it to be an abscess (or possibly something more if it didn't get better). Its been about two weeks he has been on antibiotics which I have orally given him every evening. Since that time of noticing it I have also noticed him not eating, drinking or pooping (until recently he has pooped once I have seen).

Since my first visit to vet I have taken him back there twice now due to my concern of his lack of appetite. Infection seems to be improving by its drying up and it leaked out a few days clear fluid ( which vet mentioned was good sign).

Now, his last two nights he hasn't taken his med ( his last two needed doses) due to his stubbornness and he bit me this last time. His skin looks dry, he has little fat sacks? on the sides of his neck (like the similar ones he has behind his front legs) and still isn't eating. The last vet trip (yesterday) I was given "carnivore care" to give him for nutrients until he eats again.

Now I know like that seems like a lot, and I've been a little overwhelmed since this happened and I've been getting really stressed that I've been doing it wrong. Since the last two weeks I have changed a few things: sand substrate to paper towel, moist moss in his hide, night time lighting, vitamins, a new mealworm bowl ( to prevent escapees) and increased handling due to med's and nutrients.

Am I just over boarding my leo with new stuff? Is he mostly stressed and just trying to heal?

I don't really know what to do cause I feel like a bad owner for not knowing more. Is their any advice or help that I can get to bring some sort of comfort that I don't feel from the vet. Changes/Advice, anything would be helpful. Thank you.

About your leo:
- Sex:
Male
- Age & Weight:
About
6 years old? And ~86 grams

- Morph (if you know)
- How long have you owned your leo
About 5 years
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.)
From friend, not sure where they got
him

- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred
Pretty sure captive

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo
Recently, every night for medicine about 10 min or less for. Before,
not too often, maybe few times a month/once week.

- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how
A bit
more lethargic and breathing changes

- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
None in past, only recently occuring
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal
Look generally same. Brown with white on once side
- When was the last time he/she went
Observed new poo about 2-3 days ago
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long
it has been going on
Leo
with infection/abcess on one teste from what vet said, lack of eating, less
pooing, no observed drinking of water, dry skin.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size
10 gallon tank
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept)
Glass tank
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.)
Previously Sand , now paper towel/
brown ground covering from store

- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.)
1 hide under heat lamp was dry hide
now a bit of moist hide

B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc)
**Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you
use one** :
Heat bulbs
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool
side)
Average about 84
hot side, 76 cool

- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer
etc.)
Before just off and
on light due to warm weather in house, and now have night glo light and just regular
bulb in day

- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer
tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc)
Stick and now probe
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle
duration)
Regular light
bulb and night glo light

C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates
None

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding
Recentl
mostly Mealworms, use to and now again trying Crickets

- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding?
2 to 3 days a week
depending on his appetite and about 3 mealworms

- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect)
Left in dish
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand)
Didn’t use some for a while, now
using Criket dust (Herp care) and Calcium (Repti calcium with D3/Zoo med)

- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)
I think the cricket dust?
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with
each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.)
Starting leaving it 24/7 about few
days ago

- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with
I only recently learned abut Gut
loading :/, so nothing
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Status Status : Dean is healing up hopefully, lets hope for a quick recovery!
LGF Points LGF Points : 195

Back to top Go down

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Empty Re: Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection)

Post by Maggie118 Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm not an expert but what I can tell you is that the bulbs definitely should not be your main source of heat. You need to get and under the tank heater because Leopard geckos absorb the heat through their bellies in order to digest food. They don't really need light at all because it can just stress them out. For further heat in my tank because my room is pretty cold, I use a ultraviolet night light 24/7 because they can't see it. Don't use the red ones because they say their good for night and your leo can't see it but really they can. Also, you should have a moist hide on the side with the UTH and dry one on that side and then one on the cool side without the heater. I've been worried about my leo being constipated also and I've been told to try to make sure they're hydrated by dropping water on their lips to lick up.
Maggie118
Maggie118

Status Status : Odie is a girl! HER new name is Athena (:
LGF Points LGF Points : 349

Back to top Go down

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Empty Re: Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection)

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:34 am

I think I saw my leo drink a bit out of the water dish last night, so that's a good sign.
This morning though I found a weird gooey substance in what looks like it should be poo because there is a white edge like the usual uric acid/urine part of it. Kinda scares me not sure what it is. Could it be diarrhea or something or [perhaps its because his only diet lately consisted of a water concoction from the carnivore care?
I have a heat pad (Zoo Med Brand) and will try implementing this today.
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:04 am

So anther update.
I decided to just stop the antibiotic ( been 2 days since that I have given it now) and not do the food supplement today ( via orally) so that I can let him be a bit stressed relived.
Also I added the heat pad under his hide (not as hot as I would like so I think I am going to buy a new one soon)
BUT even after seeing scary green poo, he is wandering around cage and now he keeps looking at the mealworm dish like he wants it! I think I'll give him a bit to just be and relax in his cage and hopefully he will eat on his own. The vet said it could have been the antibiotics that maybe affected his appetite, plus it looks like he is about to shed and I read they don't eat much around that time. Lets hope for the best!
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 am

what antibiotics were you giving him? as most do put them off there food. it is poss diarrhea or maybe he did like my male and ate moss out of the moist hide when he was having antibiotics. could you post a pic of his abcess if you can get one? just so we can see what you are dealing with then we might be able to give better advice.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 am

Sure thanks for reply. I did just add moss (about 3 days ago) to create a moist hide for him so that could be it as well, it seemed to have particles in it that looked like it!
I'll post of picture of what it looked like about 1 1/2 weeks ago and what it looks like now.
The antibiotic is Baytril.
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:41 am

thats ok happy to help when i can Smile Every leo ive treated with baytril has stopped eating for upto a month after they've come off it. I noticed it in my males poo after it came out looking the same as it went in, they seem to lick it for moisture and end up eating some, so just keep a eye on what comes out Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:49 am

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Imag0212

There was a bit of dried poop stuck but a few warm cloth washings they eventually fell off on his next poo (normal poo). Taken on August 26, 2011

Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Imag0213

On car ride to vet. Taken same day.

These were taken on phone so not the best quality but I will try to get one of his current but I want to give him some rest since I just changed his flooring.
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 am

Yeah that sounds like it. He looks at the food like he would want it but just ignores it. The last two days when I tried to give him meds he was being very difficult so I figures that its his way of saying he's done feeling like crap from the meds hehe. The infection looks to be getting better because, like I mentioned in first post, it drained out a few days clear, then starting scabbing up and now its dry and crusty. I put his poo in a baggie incase he appears getting worse so that I can test it.
From what I been reading I think alot of it is from stress from cage changes, increased handling and forced feeding. He orignally weighed 90 g and 1 1/2 week return visit he weight 86.2 g and they said that wasn't too bad.
Do you think it would be ok to hold off on orally feeding him so that he can be stress free for a bit? I figure from his appearance that he is gonna shed soon and all the other stuff that he just needs some space.
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am

Awww bless him that doesn't look very nice. if he's going into shed leave taking a new pic till after the shed as the scabby/crusty stuff may come away. if your going to stop the antibiotics without checking with a vet first you might want to get something called tamodine to keep it cleaned as it has antibacterial and antifungal cleanser in it Smile all you would need to do is mix a few drops into some warm water and dab it on with a cotton bud Smile food wise give him a 5day break if your worried about the stress on him, i was only syringe feeding my male once a week until he started eating again.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 am

Oh nice that sounds like a helpful product! and I think that one week method is good idea. The vet was suggesting every other day but based off reading and Deans current behavior I don't think holding off would be harmful. Thanks alot for your posting! It's relived alot of the stress and worry I've had. And sorry about how much I'm posting in so little time, I'm just a worried mama XD
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:22 am

its a great product to have as you can cleanse open wounds with it to prevent infection starting aswell as clearing up some Smile it might be known under a different name where you are tho so you might have to research it. A healthy leo should be able to go for a week fine without food just keep a eye on his weight. And thats ok aways happy to help as i know how hard it is to care for sick reptiles as out of my 12leos only 3are breeders the rest are other peoples unwanted/sick/deformed/special needs and currently all are doing well Smile the more you post the more we can try to help and your being a excellent mama to Dean x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks ^_^, I will try to do some research on that product. I've spent most of my time studying and trying to help Dean I've kind of abused my homework XD but its worth it.
Thats neat to hear you help leopard geckos who are like that, they all need some loving! It's always a blessing to have a healthy leo.
As for his weight, I was measuring the fat part of his tail every few days to try to observe a difference and so far he hasn't. He was kind of a fatty before hand with his little tubby belly and fat packets on behind his front legs :P
By the way, have you ever heard of fat packets on the sides of the neck? I recently noticed they appeared and the vet I think said they could be stressed induced?
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 am

He is starting to shed! That's making me happy cause he is moving around and rubbing it trying to get it off. Poor little guy is tired though cause he's been through so much lately but he's going at it! Yay
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 am

That is great to hear. I hope things are on the up and up Very Happy.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:00 pm

So apprently I was way off on his age. My friend said he was 7-10 years in here freshman year, meaning he could be as old as 18 right now. Wow, quite a shocker to me when I thought I got him as a younger leo.
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:40 pm

awwww bless him, hope his shed goes ok Smile i've never herd of fat pads on the neck but that doesn't mean your vet is wrong and yes they could be stress induced. the best way to keep a eye on his weight is to use kitchen scales that weigh in grams. i weigh all my geckos weekly so i know year to year/ month to month what there weights do Smile so you could have a very old boy then bless him appart from his abcess he does look good Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Wow, I hope he does well and his age does not seem to hinder him at all.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah he's always been a chipper one. He did his shed really well and not too long at all. I think he ate his skin then spit it out though cause it was a long string but it was stuck together and wet. I'd imagine if I was him he is probably just getting the antibiotics out of his system. He still seems like a little chub chub to me but I have mealworms and crickets available for him.

I just let him go on a little walk and he seemed happy about it adventuring around.
This is what his abscess looks like now
Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Imag0214

And he seems happier and vibrant after shed Smile
Need help for sick leo (Diet, skin and infection) Img_2310
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm

I reckon Dean is going to be just fine. Thank goodness that you were caring and attentive enough to get him to a vet and sort out treatment right away. It really irritates me when people know something is wrong and they say, "I will look into it" or "I will try and sort something out" or "Maybe I can get this or that by the end of the week". NO, NO, NO!!! If your pet needs something, then you do whatever you can to get it for them right away. Sorry, I don't mean to rant but I have read a couple of posts on the forum recently that said similar things and it made my blood boil. You, on the other hand, have done exactly what was needed and you have helped Dean which is how pets should be cared for. I am sure that Dean is extremely grateful!
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:31 am

he's looking good now he's shed Smile hopefully it wont be long till the crusty/scabby lump comes off, you might find while he's healing that he sheds every 2weeks untill the area is completely healed Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Xelleybelly Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks, I'm trying my best to keep him healthy. Now, I'll post some pictures later but does Dean look overweight or bloaty to you guys? I see other geckos on here and Dean seems much heavier.

I might be getting paranoid after looking up stuff about illness's but I'm worried now he might be impacted because he is really bloated looking (with fat sacks behind legs and neck) and he hasn't eaten in quite a while. His tail doesn't look stickly or thin but maybe thinner then normal? Only thing I might be a reason he may not be impacted is that he did poop about a week or 1 1/2 ago I think and then had that weird green mush like 5 days ago. Ugh I'm such a paranoid mother XD
Xelleybelly
Xelleybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

He looks a nice size to me. I fine that some of my males look pretty big all over like Dean does here in this picture above. He looks like a nice healthy boy Very Happy
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm

If Dean has "fat sacks" behind his front legs, they are more than likely calcium bubbles. You may want to remove the calcium container that you leave in his enclosure 24/7 as his body has an excess of calcium right now. You can replace the calcium when the sacks disappear.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:22 am

That would be IF the sacks disappear Joniell... Those pockets aren't actually caused by fat but excessive proteins in your herps diet as well as abundance of calcium. I do agree that if there is a calcium lid in the viv to remove it. If the bubbles in the armpits start to go down then ovbiously they are calcium bubbles however if there is little or no change in the size of the bubbles after removing the calcium lid then they are likely excessive protein bubbles and you need to vary your diet more to include more higher fat lower protein insects as well as vice verse... higher protein lower fat insects. Usually a good rotation of meaies/superworms in conjunction with butterworms and waxies provide the proper nutritional balance most herps need between proteins and fats.

Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next