Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infection?

+3
rickmoss95
kathstew
zombievisage
7 posters

Go down

Infection? Empty Infection?

Post by zombievisage Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:56 am

My boyfriend has a female leopard gecko, about three years old. We moved recently, and she stopped eating. I read that this was normal, and to give her a week or two to become accustomed to her new surroundings. Well, two weeks later she still hasn't eaten, and upon closer inspection we realized that she has an infection on the underside of her belly, right above her tail. This is his first gecko and we really don't know what to do about it.

zombievisage

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 14

Back to top Go down

Infection? Empty Re: Infection?

Post by zombievisage Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 am

By the way, here's a picture. (sorry, new to the site, don't really know how to do all this.)

Infection? 7ohI4

zombievisage

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 am

You really need to take that leo to see a vet. ):

There isn't really much we can do about that, I'm sorry. ):
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:55 am

yes, agreed....vet for sure. a qualified REPTILE vet though, not just an ordinary dog cat type vet.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Oh dear, I really wish you the best with her and that you can get her to a Herp Vet very soon. Poor thing.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm

just wondering, what are you housing your little girl in? i know that you need to take her into the vet but if we find out more about how your housing your leo we could possibly help so that she is more comfortable and or help prevent this kind of thing from happening again. so if you dont mind answering some questions for me that would be great.

what is your leopard gecko housed in? (such as a glass tank, what gallon size ect.)

what substrate are you using? (such as sand, repti carpet, tiles, paper towels, ect.)

what is your heat source for her? (such as a under tank heat mat, heat light, ect.)

what are you feeding her? (such as crickets, super worms, mealworms, ect.)

what are you using as vitamin supplement? and are you using calcium powder?

how many hides do you have for your leo? do you have a moist hide?

these are just some basic questions that can really help your leo out. i hope to hear back from you soon!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by zombievisage Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

what is your leopard gecko housed in? glass tank 20 gallons. gonna upgrade to 40 gal if she doesnt die. Sad

what substrate are you using? was using calcisand untill I read that it was bad. Got her some repticarpet in now.

what is your heat source for her? under tank at 88 almost constant.

what are you feeding her? crickets, mealworms. but she hasnt eaten in awhile :/

what are you using as vitamin supplement? and are you using calcium powder? I have a calcium and vitamin supplement powder i coat worms in and have a bit in a small dish in her cage.

how many hides do you have for your leo? do you have a moist hide? i have 2 hides one warm one cold, and a moist when shes shedding.

zombievisage

Back to top Go down

Post by James Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm

i would get rid of the repticarpet now as it is like a breeding ground for bacteria and it is hard to get clean, whilst your leo is sick I would use paper towels as a substrate as you can replace them quick. Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:37 pm

well it sounds like you are doing allot to try and help her out, i am guessing that the calcium sand is one of the main reasons she got a infection because its known for that, so its really good you took that out, i would switch out the repti carpet for some paper towels tho, the carpet is like a kitchen scrubber and holds tons of bacteria and leos also get their teeth stuck on it when they go to grab at their food. so at least for now i would take that out because paper towels are always clean because you put fresh ones in every time you clean the cage. you are doing well with using the under tank heat mat, but you should try and get the temps up to 95 to 98, do you have a digital prob thermometer? those are the best kind and are like $10 at petsmart. i would also recommend having a moist hide in with her all the time, and to keep the moist hide half on the heat mat and half off so that its warm for her, and it is good encase you don't notice she is shedding. you can easily make one out of a little Tupperware container and cutting a hole in it and placing a moist paper towel in. but her infection definitely needs to be seen by a vet, i think she should be well set if you could get her on some antibiotics. if i were you i would call around at the different exotic vets in your area explain that you need the cost of a exam and ask them if their vet is qualified to treat leopard geckos. we are all supporting you here so good luck with your little one! we all hope she gets better and has a long and happy life with you guys! keep us updated on how she is doing and what the vet says!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am

awwww poor girl, looks like a abcess which a good reptile vet will be able to removed or treat with anti-biotics. Good luck in getting her better x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down