Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

POssible eye infection

2 posters

Go down

POssible eye infection Empty POssible eye infection

Post by Dosercody Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:08 pm

I really wish I could get a picture of this, but nothing I have is high enough quality. It looks like one of my new leos has someone got an eye infection, in just one eye. She had a bad shed, where I had to help out a little with a Q tip. From her own doing she scratched up her chin which scabbed over (and is healing perfectly) and even gnawed at the very tip of her tail where some shed was sticking. Where I did the most help was on top of her head since I came home from work one day and she couldn't open her eyes cause the shed was pulled over them. I got the shed off the best I could, and tried to let her do her job as much as possible, and nature seemed better than nurture in this situation. Obviously the shed being taken off around her eyes is a tricky spot, and I'm thinking the bad shed is what caused the possible infection.

I first noticed three (maybe four days ago) that she had a black spot under her eyelid (top). Now I have been a Leo owner for over 7 years, but fortunately have never had any eye problems of any kind, so this is new to me. I was originally thinking this was some dead skin stuck to the bottom of her eye lid, and tried to flush it out. Flushing seemed to clear out her eye slightly, but not even close to 100%. Again, its black in color and almost appears to be very old dead skin, as the bad shed was around two weeks ago (give or take a few days). It doesn't appear to be spreading, and if it is it is very slowly, but doesn't appear to be getting any better either.
This gecko just ended her new leo quarantine, and has been in the same approximation as four other leos, which also has me worried as I believe some eye infections can spread to other leos (right?). I currently have all the leos quarantined once again, to see if any of the others develop anything.

Basically guys, any ideas? Advice? What do you think it could be from the description? I'm holding out hope its dead skin and will clear itself out with some flushing, but I'm not counting on it. If an infection, what would be a good treatment? Any products? I'm going to try Saline eye drops to flush some more tomorrow.

Once again, black in color and appears to look like dead skin, but appearances are deceiving. It is under her top eyelid, and POSSIBLY slightly under the lower eyelid as well, but very, very slightly if it is, and this is one of the factors that leads me to think infection, if it is on both eyelids.

If infection, YES, i know vet is the best choice. However I have tried my local reptile vet here in the past, and one he was not knowledge as he should have been, and two he tried to charge me $2000.00 dollars for fecal test. Yes, $2000.00. I'm not against paying to help my family members, but I can not afford his steep prices.

I'll keep you guys updated, and worse comes to worst I will wish to rehome my little guy (maybe all if infection spreads to all) to someone here who has someone in there area that will give her (them) the proper care. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

POssible eye infection Empty Re: POssible eye infection

Post by Dosercody Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:18 pm

UPDATE

Just thought of some info to add. Her appetite has been great, as usual. Her eye does not have any discharge in it, and is perfectly clear other than the black *whatever it is*. It is also not watery at all, and the outside of the eyelid could possibly be slightly swollen, but I imagine that would be natural for an infection or dead skin under the eyelid.

Dosercody

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 am

Can you fill out the health questionnaire please?

From what you wrote, I would try the pure saline eye drops for a few days to see if that helps. I'm thinking it could be shed skin.

Good luck!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down