Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermostat/rheostat

5 posters

Go down

Thermostat/rheostat Empty Thermostat/rheostat

Post by lunascrest Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 pm

So i'm looking for a thermostat or rheostat for my UTH but the only one I can find is the zoo med rheostat and it has such horrible reviews!! I definitely need one because my UTH keeps fluctuating between 92-101 degrees!! I need it at 95, not constantly changing! Any suggestions on where to find a similar product? what do you guys use?
lunascrest
lunascrest

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 35

Back to top Go down

Thermostat/rheostat Empty Re: Thermostat/rheostat

Post by Kermit Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:29 am

I use a regular light dimmer. You will likely have to do a little electrical work to attach it to the rheostat as most don't just plug into a thru. Also theres web sites like reptiledirect.com that your can order rheos and thermostats from.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 am

A common digital reading thermostat that's cheap but also work well is the Hydrofarm one on Amazon. You can get it with free shipping and no taxes, and it has raving reviews on both amazon and on gecko forums.

You pretty much can't find a solid digital reading thermostat at that price elsewhere. So if you want a thermostat, I'd recommend that one for general usage.

For breeders & racks I'd recommend a more expensive Spyder Robotics Herpstat, which is a proportional thermostat.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 am

If you don't want the temperature constantly changing, it's probably because your room temps are changing, so that means you might not want a rheostat or light dimmer because that still has to be adjusted according to your room temperature.

The hydrofarm that Mardy recommend is probably ideal for what you are looking for but you still check the temperatures with something other than just the thermostat every once in awhile to make sure the thermostat is still working like it should.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 am

I just got the Hydrofarm one for Stanley, and I love it! I wish I got that one for Stella too, because it is much better than the Repti Temp one. It has a built-in digital thermometer that is really accurate.

I have three of these dimmers, and they are great. You just plug the heater into it, so no wiring necessary!
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300H-WH-Electronics-Plug-In-Dimmer/dp/B0000BYEF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331771691&sr=8-1
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Jess wrote:I have three of these dimmers, and they are great. You just plug the heater into it, so no wiring necessary!
http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TT-300H-WH-Electronics-Plug-In-Dimmer/dp/B0000BYEF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331771691&sr=8-1

Exactly what I use.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by lunascrest Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you!! I'll look into all the suggestions!
lunascrest
lunascrest

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down