Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermostat Probe Placement Question

4 posters

Go down

Thermostat Probe Placement Question Empty Thermostat Probe Placement Question

Post by lclaypool20 Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:47 am

Hello-

I have done a search and tried to find this answer and maybe I just don't like the answer I have gotten. What is the best way attach the thermostat probe to substrate? I have read that some people use masking tape. Is there a better way to make sure that probe is reading temp on surface-glue, clip, etc. This seems like a pretty important aspect as the probe will determine how hot the surface gets. If it was off even a 1/4 inch (over sub) it could make a big difference. Maybe I am just being to technical on this one. Just curious what you all use.

Thanks-
LC

lclaypool20

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 41

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Probe Placement Question Empty Re: Thermostat Probe Placement Question

Post by Jess Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:53 am

I just use masking tape to stick mine down, and I have the thermometer probe right next to it to make sure the temps are right. I couldn't think of anything else to stick it down either! But the tape works pretty well.

Thermostat Probe Placement Question DSC02257
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Probe Placement Question Empty Re: Thermostat Probe Placement Question

Post by Kodieh Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:54 am

I place mine inside the hide, using the hide to hold it in place by the cord.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by lclaypool20 Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for the responses.

Kodieh-
So you just kind of have it hanging there in the air or does the hide keep the probe down? I have the moist hide over my UTH. The hide is enclosed with a bottom and if I put the probe under the hide I don't seem to be getting an accurate reading due to the heat building up in the confined space. Do you think I should be reading my temp of the ambient temp in the hide?

Thanks-
LC

lclaypool20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 am

I have it pressed under the warm dry hide, and pull the slack out of the cord so it doesn't hang.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:29 am

If you want to know the temp in the hot hide, keep out on the floor surface just over the uth. Being sandwiched between the bottom of the moist hide will be an inaccurate reading. There are pictures in the housing section in the sticky for making the perfect leo set up. I use a bit of electrical tape just behind the collar on the probe itself. Electric tape won't dry out and get brittle like masking tape can plus it has a higher heat tolerance so you don't have any worries about off gassing.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lclaypool20 Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 am

ok.

Understand I am not talking about the probe for a digital thermometer. I am talking about the probe for my thermostat that is regulating the heat coming from the UTH. I guess the better question would have been where is the best place to put my probe from my thermostat and what is the best way to insure that it doesn't get moved. If it got moved and was raised 1/2 inch off the substrate the UTH would not kick off until that probe was at the set temp. The actual floor temp would be much hotter at that point.

LC

lclaypool20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Same difference really, whether its for a uth or a thermostat I would still suggest the same placement and use of electrical tape to secure it. The hot hide is where your leo spends most of their time so that is whats most important. Ambient temps are really moot and not as important to your leos well being since they are thigmatherms. Hope that helps Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lclaypool20 Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

Thanks for the response. I don't necessarily agree that it is the same difference. If my digital temp thermometer is not reading right it won't affect my UTH temp. If my thermostat probe is not reading right it could cause a dangerous situation of increased temp. Not trying to"be right" here, just don't want someone else to read this and not understand the importance of thermostat probe placement and the consequences.

Thanks,
LC

lclaypool20

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:22 am

If you place it under the humid hide, it could give higher reads because the hide is no allowing heat to escape. The same would go for a warm dry hide. Taping it down to an open area would get the readings, but if you set that to the proper 90-93F then it will be warmer inside the hides.

It's all what you feel most comfortable with, and I agree with Kel that it's the same difference. I would personally put it inside the warm dry hide and set it to 95F, which would keep the hide at around 95 and the rest of the ambient temps at around the 90-93.

Hope I help! Very Happy
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lclaypool20 Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks for the info!

LC

lclaypool20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down