Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which thermostat should I get?

+2
Kodieh
Jess
6 posters

Go down

Which thermostat should I get? Empty Which thermostat should I get?

Post by Jess Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:35 am

I've been using a dimmer for Stanley's UTH, but apparently the temps in my house aren't very stable and the temperature in Stan's viv is fluctuating way too much. Stella has the Zoomed brand thermostat, and it works well but I'm not too fond of the dial on it and the extremely chunky probe. But if it is better than the other two, I'd buy another.
So, which one is the best?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/ref=gno_cart_title_2

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0018CLYNG/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329156420&sr=1-2-catcorr

And this is the one that Stella has:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTemp-Remote-Thermostat/dp/B0002AQD9A/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329156420&sr=1-3-catcorr

I need a better way to heat my roaches too. Right now I just have a human heat pad under it, but I'm pretty sure it's a fire hazard to have one running 24/7! I keep it on top of a metal utility shelf, so I was thinking of taping heat cable to the bars, and setting the bin on top of it. I'd regulate the heat with the extra dimmer. Does this sound OK, or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Which thermostat should I get? Empty Re: Which thermostat should I get?

Post by Kodieh Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:53 am

Go with the Hydrofarm. When I build my rack, and invest the money I want in it, I'll be buying the Hydrofarm's thermostats. Their reliable, cheap, and have a high watt threshold for multiple cages to go on on thermostat.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:37 am

+1 to Hydrofarm, you won't find a digital reading thermostat at that price range. It's highly rated, haven't seen reports of issues at all, and it's a great price for the design.

As for heating the roaches bin, you can buy the smallest UTH, like the mini size zoo med UTH and use that. A heat cable/tape will work fine as well. Whichever works for you. It'll take a lot to melt plastic or catch it on fire. When using a heat pad for a roach bin, sometimes it's better to affix it to the side rather than on the bottom. When it's on the bottom, there's less air flow and can get hotter unless you prop the bin up on 4 corners.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:26 pm

I have the reptitemp 500r and its ok..... if I knew about the Hydrofarm I would have gone with that since it has a temp gauge so the need to run two probes in your warm hide isn't necessary. I just finished combining a rheostat with my thermostat and found the rheostat to suite my needs better. These on/off thermostats fluctuate around 4-5 degrees but if you are ok with that then go for it. That or invest in one around $100 that dims the mat instead of shut it off when it reaches the target temp. That will be my next purchase but since a dimming switch costs a whopping $10 I couldn't pass it up for the time being.
Dangle
Dangle

Status Status : Working on my race car
LGF Points LGF Points : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:52 am

Dangle wrote:I have the reptitemp 500r and its ok..... if I knew about the Hydrofarm I would have gone with that since it has a temp gauge so the need to run two probes in your warm hide isn't necessary. I just finished combining a rheostat with my thermostat and found the rheostat to suite my needs better. These on/off thermostats fluctuate around 4-5 degrees but if you are ok with that then go for it. That or invest in one around $100 that dims the mat instead of shut it off when it reaches the target temp. That will be my next purchase but since a dimming switch costs a whopping $10 I couldn't pass it up for the time being.

They don't actually dim the mat. What you're referring to is a pulse thermostat, which pulses electricity to the mat to maintain the desired heat at all times. This is more preferred over the typical thermostat which shuts off when it gets too hot and starts back up when it gets too cold.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 am

i also have the hydrofarms thermostat and it works great. love the digital read out and easy to control. The probe is pretty dang accurate too, and easy to place in the tank.
+1 hydrofarm
Pinned27
Pinned27

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:47 am

I'm 99% sure I'll be getting the Hyrdofarm one, but I had one concern that was brought up on another forum: If the power goes out or something, does it stay at the temp you set it at, or does it go to a default temp? I wouldn't want it to set itself to 100* or something if the power went out while I was on vacation!
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Post by benr7sj Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I use the hydrofarms and so far if the power has gone out or if i have had to unplug them for any reason they keep the same settings.
benr7sj
benr7sj

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down