Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescue - tail dropped!

4 posters

Go down

Rescue - tail dropped! Empty Rescue - tail dropped!

Post by kathstew Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 am

Well, for those who don't know, I rescued a gecko from my evil neighbors a few days ago. She wasn't getting proper care, had no heater etc. (for the full story go here: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t558-hi-my-name-is-kathryn)
The neighbors apparently picked her up and it fell off. I doubt thats the whole story. Anyway, a few responders in my other thread were interested in checking her tail out. I was able to get a few pictures, but they are a bit blurry so I apologize for that.
Anyway, I'm thinking her tail LOOKS ok, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her. Do you guys think it looks OK?
Rescue - tail dropped! P7060530-1
Rescue - tail dropped! P7060528-1
Rescue - tail dropped! P7060526-1
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Rescue - tail dropped! Empty Re: Rescue - tail dropped!

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:23 am

It looks pretty good to be honest. I know it is a terrible thing to happen but it's nature and will regrow. As per earlier keep your eye on it but I think that it is beyond getting infected. thumbs up
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:26 am

Without better pictures its really hard to say if its alright. When in doubt, esp. when dealing with possibly infected injuries a vet visit is always a prudent measure. If you're comfortable no infection is present keeping a petrolium based moisturizer such as bag balm (not triple antibiotic as it traps bacteria in the wound and builds antibiotic resistance as per my vet) it will help the tail grow in more normally and less bulbous. I'm thinking they very obviously picked her up by her poor tail or she darted from the pick up and got grabbed, or they fumbled her and scard the crud outta her. Its very unusual for an adult leo to just drop their tail from being properly handled. They had to do something drastically wrong when "just holding" her.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:14 am

from those pics the tails looks ok and should start to regrow over the next week, one of my females lost her tail last year due to getting stuck when she escaped and her's looked just like that and was about the same amount of tail lost, i did take her to the vet and i was told to just drip a solution of tamodine and warm water over it daily for a week just to clean off any dust or dirt Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it!

I'm glad you guys don't think its infected, I thought so too, but I always like second opinions! I am probably going to try to wash it with a bit of water tomorrow, and then put a bit of polysporin on it. I will also look for the tamodine stuff at the store to try using.

It doesn't seem to bother her at all. I've touched it and its not sensitive, which I am thankful for!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 pm

I would avoid the polysporin as it can trap bacteria in the wound should something get stuck to it... the best bet is just the antiseptic wash and possibly a little mineral oil to keep it mositurized so it grows in better. If you don't have antiseptic wasgh you can actually use a little dish soap that is labeled as anti bacterial... just a small dab tho.... you don't want to over whelm your poor leo with bubbles Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:40 pm

if its not hurting her to touch it i would just use some warm water and drip it gently over the end as it's most likey already healing and dried out so wont need much attention Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down