Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

soild eye question

5 posters

Go down

soild eye question  Empty soild eye question

Post by Hexclover Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:07 pm

i was looking at this site for a leo i may buy here in the up coming months (after i get my tank all set up and such). http://www.geckosetc.com/available_150orless.html

on some of them he says "has 2 solid eyes" or "1 solid eye and 1 40% solid eye" or even "1 20% solid eye and 1 30% solid eye" what does this mean? does it mean they have the genetic mutation heterochromia? where they either have 2 different colored eyes or 2 different colors on the same eye.

Last edited by Hexclover on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Hexclover
Hexclover

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

soild eye question  Empty Re: soild eye question

Post by smsararas2 Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:00 pm

It is a type of leopard gecko called an Eclipse. Which is literally just what you are seeing. They have solid, or partially solid black eyes. When they are giving the percentages they are just letting people know how much of their eyes are "eclipsed". I have two eclipses that have two solid eyes. It is possible of course having said this that they have two different color eyes. One that is eclipse and one that is a "normal" leo eye.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 am

Yes just a trait called eclipse. Its basically a cover over the eye, which can cover the whole eye or just part of it. Hence the percentage.
when only part of it is covered it is normally refferec to as 'Snake Eyes'

The eclipse gene has some bits that confuse people though. So when a gecko is homozygous for eclipse, it means it can have two solid black eyes, however if the gecko is an albino then the solid eyes will be red. Also, some morphs can have solid black eyes without the eclipse gene being involved. For example Super Snows always have solid black eyes, but it just part of the super snow gene, nothing to do with eclipse. So can blizzard, though this only happens very rarely.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hexclover Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:03 am

gottcha thanks guys
Hexclover
Hexclover

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:15 am

The albinos look REALLY cool with the red eyes. I have two of them and they are just awesome!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Hexclover Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 am

i was looking at this guy. http://www.geckosetc.com/images/avail/Available%20Pictures/HTM7_142_600.jpg im liking the orange color morphs Very Happy
Hexclover
Hexclover

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 am

ooooo super snow have solid black eyes Very Happy that's pretty cool.. Very Happy
do the solid eyed leos have the same eyesight as normal eyed leos??
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 am

Dunno sarah, i think so, i've not heard otherwise.
Though obviously albino's have more sensitive eyes.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:20 am

there is also a newer morph called a marble eye that i will be getting from craig in about another month and a half. they have really crazy, almost 3~D eyes! you can also see some "genetic markers" in a het eclipses' eyes. it is kinda hard to describe, but you can see it pretty easily if you know what to look for. there are alot of genetic markers in many different snake species, and i am learning a few in leopard geckos also. i have learned alot about the genetic morphs and markers in the past couple months, i guess that is some perks of knowing some of the best breeders out there! it is really cool knowing some of the people i know, so if any of you have the opportunity to get to know a good and knowledgable breeder, DO IT!!! i have been lucky to get to know some great breeders and become friends with some of the pioneers of the reptile hobby, and it is really cool to learn from these people, and i am very proud to be able to call them my friends! i owe all of my success to those people and i am very thankful to them and happy i know them.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:27 am

The orange are my favorites too. My own little project is to try and make bright ones. I know it's been done but I want to work on it on my own:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 am

jolene, i can tell you from experience that you can buy all the cool morphs you want...but when you produce your own...it is A THOUSAND times cooler!!! i like to produce the cool stuff, plus it is easy to buy one(if you have the funds that is..) i have bought hets alot in the past and produced the homogonous form and it is way more grattifying that way! plus if you work on something and outcross it enough you can produce "your own line" of a certain trait or combo, and that is really cool too! i did buy some morphs with my leos this time, but i am gonna be doing alot of combo stuff with it and will still be making stuff with hets...
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 am

With some of the leos that I have right now I do not even know what their hets are because they are rescues and such but given time I will figure them out. It's not like I have a one year plan or anything Very Happy
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 am

i feel ya, (and not like that all you pervs!!) i have some short term goals in mind, as well as some that will obviously take me a few generations to produce. i have found that patience is an invaluable asset in breeding reptiles!!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 am

I am actually most excited about the darker hypers that I had posted earlier where the female is named flower. I think they are going to make some nice babies and if Jordan is right they flower on her back is a genetic trait and she should pass it on. Now that would be cool! And then as you suggested if I breed her to a tang of something like that I could get some amazing colors.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 am

oh yeah! what you can produce is only limited by your immagination! and if you are anything like me, the leopard community is going to be an exciting place in the next few years!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 am

thumbs up
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 am

rickmoss95 wrote:there is also a newer morph called a marble eye that i will be getting from craig in about another month and a half. they have really crazy, almost 3~D eyes! you can also see some "genetic markers" in a het eclipses' eyes. it is kinda hard to describe, but you can see it pretty easily if you know what to look for. there are alot of genetic markers in many different snake species, and i am learning a few in leopard geckos also. i have learned alot about the genetic morphs and markers in the past couple months, i guess that is some perks of knowing some of the best breeders out there! it is really cool knowing some of the people i know, so if any of you have the opportunity to get to know a good and knowledgable breeder, DO IT!!! i have been lucky to get to know some great breeders and become friends with some of the pioneers of the reptile hobby, and it is really cool to learn from these people, and i am very proud to be able to call them my friends! i owe all of my success to those people and i am very thankful to them and happy i know them.

Do any of these friends wanna join you on my forum tongue
im sure you could persuade them Very Happy
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:38 am

i can ask them bro! thad is an admin on another forum and im sure craig is way too busy. but i can talk to jeff sr and jeff jr at jmg, and a few others! we may be able to get some big names and leopard geniusses on here!...more of em anyways!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 am

Would be wicked Rick, and greatly appreciated!

Hopefully you'll be a big name in the leo society soon! thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:16 am

becoming a "big name" is not really all that important to me. i have already gained alot of respect and have become known as a person with really high quality animals and an honest and good person amonst my peers and friends...an that is so much more important to me than being a "big name" could ever be. i have had the privelege of knowing some of the great pioneers of our hobby and that is tons more than i may deserve! i have had great success in alot i have attempted in my herp career and owe it all to my friends and past partners. i hope i will become a "better known" breeder in the future, and with the right steps, im sure i will be. but as long as people know me for having the highest quality animals, who is honest and helpful, and just an all around good dude...that is all i want out of my breeding endeavors....and in a "smaller crowd" i have already achieved this. some "big names" know me and are friends with me, and respect me...and i could never ask for anything more! i would absolutely be honored to be mentioned beside names like ron tremper, craig stewart, alan repashy, and the like...but if i never am, i am happy with what i have achieved! i have been blessed to know alot of great people and see some of the most amazing reptiles that will ever grace this planet, and that is all i can ask for. but i totally appreciate you saying that jordan, i really do! and i do have some big plans with these leopard geckos, so if GOD blesses me even more than HE already has, i wont complain! i hope to create a new combo and make some amazing animals...and hopefully i will have a really nice website, and have fun and continue to have great friends around me! but if someday i am a "big name", i will always put my friends and family before anything else, and they will always get the credit, because without them...i would have never been able to do the things i have done so far! but again, thank you jordan, that was pretty cool of you to say!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down