Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko?

5 posters

Go down

Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko? Empty Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko?

Post by evilsloth Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi, I was hoping I would never have to post in this section again as usually it is under bad circumstances, but here I am... Gimpy is about 11 years old, and has never had any eating problems in the past, but within the last couple weeks she has started eating only 5-10 crickets a week. It almost seems like the crickets are too fast for her. She will stalk them, and then when they start running she becomes uninterested. I don't know if this is the problem or not, or why suddenly she is finding them too fast, but is there something I can do to the criskets to make them move slower? As well, do Leopard Geckos hunt better in the dark or light?

Thanks.

evilsloth

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko? Empty Re: Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko?

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Why dont you try handfeeding her ? She's 11 years old already prolly you can try handfeeding.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

LGF Points LGF Points : 292

Back to top Go down

Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko? Empty Re: Crickets Too Fast for Leopard Gecko?

Post by Jess Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:01 pm

I have to hand-feed my 15 year old crickets and roaches... Poor little guy just can't keep up with them! He can catch super worms on his own, but since crickets and roaches are smaller they are harder for him to see, and he will only chase them a few steps before he gives up and loses interest. He devours them if I make them slowly "run away" with the tweezers though!
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:17 pm

I tear the jumping legs off crickets to make it easier for mine. That way they can't jump away when struck at.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:26 am

You can also try chilling the crickets in the refrigerator for a half hour or so before feeding them, it tends to slow them down and make them easier to catch.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am

Good ideas! Hopefully if they are slower, it will fix the problem. If not, then there is something wrong... She used to eat when I hand fed her, but she doesn't even get interested when I try hand feeding her.

I'll try chilling them tonight, hopefully that works Smile

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:18 am

It could be food boredom if that's all she's ever fed. You should try changing it up a bit for her see if that resparks some interest.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Believe me, I have tried at least 15 different times before to feed her all different types of worms, she only likes crickets. She used to eat Silkworms, but not anymore...

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:59 am

Something else to consider is that as they age their system slows down and they don't require as much food as when they do when they're younger. it could just be the natural progression of the life cycle. I know my adult male (under 3 yrs old) only eats about 2-4 superworms 2-3x a week so I can only imagine how little he'll eat once he's 11. I would just keep offering food on a regular schedule, make it easy to catch by chilling them and removing the jumper legs and I'm sure that if she's healthy she'll take what she needs. Check her mouth to make sure she doesn't ahve any abcesses or sores in there, that can sometimes be a reason for going off food, also gutload with veggies high in Vit. A to aide in her vision. Vision is also impacted as they age so she could just be having trouble zeroing in on the prey with her old eyes.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks, when I fed her today she actually chased the crickets right across the terrarium and she ate 8! Very Happy I guess it depends on how she is feeling each week?

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:13 pm

It can... good for her. This is why I only feed eros 2-3x a week. Keeps him enthusiastic about food Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down