Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Im new to Leopard gecko's

+2
asianpersuasion
Lisa
6 posters

Go down

Im new to Leopard gecko's Empty Im new to Leopard gecko's

Post by Lisa Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:17 am

i sure hope someone can help me. I went to petsmart to pick up a few things for my 2 new leopard gecko i purchased tonight, 1st of all they told me I needed to purchased these 3 following lights for the gecko's (night glo light) basking light, repti glo uvb light. what id like to know is do i really need all these lights? I also purchased and under tank heater for the 10 gallon tank they are in. sorry for the right off question..

i just purchased 2 beautiful leopard gecko from someone today their kids no longer wanted. their lose my gain Smile
Lisa
Lisa

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 40

Back to top Go down

Im new to Leopard gecko's Empty Re: Im new to Leopard gecko's

Post by asianpersuasion Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

First hello and welcome to the forums you certainly have come to the right place.
No you do not need any of those lights. Leopard geckos are crepuscular so they do not require UVB lighting. Bright lighting can also stress out leopard geckos. Leopard geckos get there heat from there bellies which helps with digestion the do not bask under heat so the UTH (under tank heater) is what you want for a heat source. Now if your leos are in a room that doesnt have natural lighting you can use a very low wattage bulb for ambient light so you can view your leo's if you wanted. As for the night glo light you shouldnt need it for additional heat at night unless the room they are in gets very cold at night but generally the UTH is sufficient.
If you have any other questions or concerns please ask and someone will gladly help.
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by Dosercody Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 am

You really don't need any of the lights, but the night light doesn't hurt anything, and is more for your enjoyment. Keep in mind the employees job is to sell, they'll tell you anything to get that sale.

Also, I noticed you said you have two leos in a 10 gal tank. If they are very young, this shouldn't be a problem. But as they get older, and larger naturally, that tank could be a bit small for one, let alone two. Just so you know Smile

Dosercody

LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 am

Hi lisa and welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard... someone elses loss can def. Be yur gain... if you proide proper husbandry and educate youeself on their care needs. First thing I would suggest is read read read... as much as you can on the forum. The stickies in each section are the most informative accurate sources of info available. The caresheet section is also a great place for info and videos. Id start here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] since your initial questions are about housing. There's also a good video in the picture section video subforum about making a proper set up. After that I'd go to the feeding forum and check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you have any questions please feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate section. That's how you'll get the best responses, or you can feel free to send a private mesage to any of the staff members Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm planning on returning the 3 extra light they insisted i needed for them. at what size do I need to up-grade to 20 gallon tank for 2 of them? they are very small right now, one of them Lost his/her tail already before i purchased them Sad poor thing.
they sure can eat i put in 10 baby crickets and their are non left unsure if both or only 1 ate them all, seem like the 1 that lost his tail isn't looking so quick.
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:52 pm

The feeding issue is another reason they should live seperately. Leos aren't social creatures by nature plus if they turn out to be 2 males eventualy they will kill eachother. You won't be able to tell gender until they're about 6 months old. I would honestly seperate them now. Another 10 gallon set up shouldn't cost much.you can find 10 gallon tanks on craigslist for $10 or walmart for 25$. 1 juvenile leo can eat 10 crickets by themselves. You should feed juvies pretty much as much as they'll eat.

There's a caresheet in the caresheet section on how to care for a leo that dropped their tail. Ya might wanna check it out. Just curious but what type of substrait are you keeping them on?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Kermit wrote:The feeding issue is another reason they should live seperately. Leos aren't social creatures by nature plus if they turn out to be 2 males eventualy they will kill eachother. You won't be able to tell gender until they're about 6 months old. I would honestly seperate them now. Another 10 gallon set up shouldn't cost much.you can find 10 gallon tanks on craigslist for $10 or walmart for 25$. 1 juvenile leo can eat 10 crickets by themselves. You should feed juvies pretty much as much as they'll eat.

There's a caresheet in the caresheet section on how to care for a leo that dropped their tail. Ya might wanna check it out. Just curious but what type of substrait are you keeping them on?

Eco Carpet (i just purchased tonight)
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Not the best as they trap a ton of bacteria and little teeth and nails tend to get caught in it. Better would be peel n stick vinyl tiles or natural stone tles like slate, granite or marble. You can get all precut at lowes or home depot for less than the carpet likely cost and they're a ton easier to disinfect/clean and heat well.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 am

Welcome to the forum, Lisa! I hope you enjoy yourself here and in the reptile world. Smile

Take a good read of this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it has all the info you need on proper housing. Smile

Here is a caresheet on caring for a leopard gecko with a dropped tail: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a few leos with dropped tails, and they are all living happy lives. It doesn't take away from their quality of life at all, so don't worry about that. Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 am

Hiya & Welcome to the forum Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 am

My Leopard that lost his/her tail pasted away this afternoon Sad very sad. My other little one is active and eating and everything he seems to be fine
Lisa
Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 am

awwww sorry to hear that Sad rip little leo x x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:57 am

Awwww too bad he couldn't muster thru lisa. It's not your fault. Just care for the other as best you can. We're her for ya.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down