Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner?

5 posters

Go down

Which name?

Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Vote_lcap67%Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 2 ]
Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Vote_lcap33%Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Empty Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner?

Post by BlameItOnBeingGemini Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 am

Hello, I'm Kristyn and I've finally convinced my mother to let me get a Leopard Gecko Very Happy
I'm very excited, but a little nervous Embarassed , I've done reaserch since Thanksgiving, when I originally decided I wanted a Leo. I'm a little unsure that I have all I need to know, I'm getting all equipment that the Leo will need when I get him. I'm a little confused, some people would say I need a heating pad and others avidly warn against it. So, basically before I babble on and on I'm a first time Leo owner and very nervous and want to be prepared before I purchase the Leo, I don't want to make any mistakes that would be harmful to either it or me, any tips, recomadations, ect, would be greatly appreciated. anyone?
Other Information
I'm 15 years old, a sophmore in highschool, my parents probably won't have anything to do with the Leo. I have a Border Collie, Shadow, who's often in my room. There isn't anyone in my family who owns a reptile, and no one I know really wants to. I've done a lot of reaserch I just like to be extremely prepared to eliminate the possibility of failing ecspecially when animals are involved. I'm positive that the Leo is right for me I love you
Help me? Very Happy
I'll post a picture of it Saturday! It's name will probably be Nyx, or possibly Apollo.
OH! Names!
Name suggestions would be appreciated also,
Xoxo,
Kristyn
BlameItOnBeingGemini
BlameItOnBeingGemini

Status Status : Check Out my Post! <3
LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner? Empty Re: Help Out A First Time Gecko Owner?

Post by Kodieh Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

Heat pads are a must! Those who "avidly warn against it" do not understand the biology of a leopard gecko. They need belly heat to digest better. If possible, you should get a thermostat for it but a rheostat/light dimmer will also work.

You should get either slate tile or use paper towels as substrate, as all--all--loose substrates are bad regardless of what they are or who says it's "okay". The tile can be found at a lowes or home depot for really cheap, and you can take them out and wash them.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by BlameItOnBeingGemini Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 am

Haha I'm glad you said that I had no clue Very Happy
Thank you!
BlameItOnBeingGemini
BlameItOnBeingGemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiley Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am

The only thing to avoid for belly heaters are the heat rocks they sell at stores. All the rock is, is just a heat safe plastic rock with heating element inside. There are tons of air pockets between the heating element and the plastic and it creates hot pockets of air where the temp builds wayyy up, and can burn your leos belly. Just a mat under the tank is way easier for one leo enclosure.
Smiley
Smiley

LGF Points LGF Points : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 am

Welcome to the forum Smile Best advice I can offer is to read the sticky in the housing section titled how to make the perfect set up. It will tell you everything you need. Also in the feeding section the sticky about supplimenting basics is also a good read for new owners as well as the nutritional facts of feeder insects. Pretty much any basic beginner info you need can all be found in each forum's sticky section or in the caresheet forum.

Hope that helps Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlameItOnBeingGemini Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 am

It did! I've been reading the housing section and they helped out a lot, is there any disadvantages to using vinyl tile? It's what I plan to use, and is it a bad idea to get everything at the store that day? All I have set up at home is an aquarium and the heat pad turned on so I could moniter the temp, the rest I'll need to purchase at the same time because I'm a long way from civilization.
BlameItOnBeingGemini
BlameItOnBeingGemini

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:45 am

It's more recommended that you have everything set up before you get the gecko, but you wit have any disadvantages by building it and getting the gecko the same day. It'll sort of be like just doing a substrate change really. We all have times when we still don't know what temps will level off at ", just keep vigilant for any problems and youll be good to go. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by BlameItOnBeingGemini Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:58 am

You guys make me happy Very Happy
I'm so very glad I joined this forum! Really you guys have helped a lot! I think I've gotten more help here then all the reasearch I did! Dancing I'm actually not nervous at all anymore! Well besides the fact that my Leo may not like me! But I think that's just me being paranoid and not me being concerned Wink
I'll be sure to keep you posted on my new Leo! Dancing
BlameItOnBeingGemini
BlameItOnBeingGemini

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfbane468 Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:49 am

just dont be upset if he/she doesnt come out or runs away from u for the first week u need to give them time to settle and not try to handle them straight off i learnt that the hard way when cleo hissed and tried bite me,
u will know when she comes to see u and doesnt scarper when u open the viv she is comfy enough to start putting ur hand in
wolfbane468
wolfbane468
Loyal Member

Status Status : XBOX gamertag wolfbane468
LGF Points LGF Points : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down