Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leo not eating

3 posters

Go down

Leo not eating Empty Leo not eating

Post by Goodkoalie Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:59 am

I got my loepard gecko on satderday and i am feeding it mealworms. She has not eaten any of them yet. Please help.

Goodkoalie

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 13

Back to top Go down

Leo not eating Empty Re: Leo not eating

Post by Mardy Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 am

Many things can cause your gecko to not eat, things ranging from improper husbandry, lack of belly heat, to the most common cause which is the stress from being moved into a new environment. Some geckos are also picky eaters. So if they are used to say crickets, they may not find mealworms interesting enough. What I would suggest is to purchase a small amount of size appropriate crickets (like 5 or so), and see if that would stimulate the hunting instinct. Sometimes all a gecko needs is a jump start to get them interested in food, then you can move back to mealworms.

Chances are though, the gecko may not be eating because it's still stressed and afraid from the move. I have seen geckos eat the very same night they arrived, but I've also seen new geckos eat after a week or two.

If you take some pictures of your tank, folks here on the forum can probably give you some suggestions and tips. Also what are you using as a heating device and how hot it is where they lay?
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:50 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm Kathryn, I hope we are able to help you in everyway we can. Smile

Mardy has given you lots of great advice! Like she said there are several reasons a leo may not eat.
Take a look at this thread. It will provide you with some info on proper husbandry/housing, to make sure those are not reasons why your leo isn't eating.

As Mardy also said, a picture of your tank would be very helpful. It will allow us to help you. Smile
Again, welcome!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Goodkoalie Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Thx I got crickets and she loves them

Goodkoalie

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Hooray! Leo not eating 459784477