Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fattening up my female

3 posters

Go down

Fattening up my female Empty Fattening up my female

Post by ApathyOverdose Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:24 am

I am in the process of getting a female back into good health. When the guy gave her to me she was very underweight, almost emaciated. She's gained some weight but still is pretty thin. I have waxworms, mealworms, and crickets. Unfortunately the crickets are a bit too lively for her, if she acts interested at all she almost always misses. The mealworms she usually can get and I dust them every other feeding. I fed her two waxworms last week and one this week. What are some good techniques on getting her back in shape? I know healthy leos should only have waxworms as a treat, but is there still a limit on a skinny gecko? I heard about silkworms but none of the pet stores near me have them. Should I order some?

ApathyOverdose

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 67

Back to top Go down

Fattening up my female Empty Re: Fattening up my female

Post by Kodieh Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:22 am

Emaciated geckos actually need a higher fat diet, so more wax worms aren't going to hurt it. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 am

A slow steady diet of a mix of bugs is best to put weight back on her. Check the link in kodieh's signature, nutritional value of feeder insects, pick 2 higher in fat, 1 higher in protein and feed her a mix from the 3. You will likely need to order some of them, likesilkies or phoenix and butterworms but it will be well worth it. Put weight on too fast with high protein bugs and you risk refeeding syndrom (please google that), feed too many wax worms and she could refuse other feeders. Id keep her temps on the warmer side, around 94-96*F to make cure she has optimum digestion for nutrition absorbtion as well as making sure her core temprature is proper since she lacks the insulating fat layer. If you can post a pic of her we can let you know if she's underweight.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down