Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet?

3 posters

Go down

How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet? Empty How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet?

Post by Body Thief Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:51 pm

My baby boy Gecko still isn't eating Sad He's not pale anymore, and he's very active but just not interested in food. It's been almost a month since he's eaten bugs. I have given him slurry 5 times.

Maybe this sounds ridiculous, I know that in the WILD they are solitary animals, but he has been with other geckos his whole life. I honestly think he's lonely Sad

Tigers are solitary in the wild too yet when raised together in captivity they will cuddle with each other their whole lives even if they have a huge enclosure and plenty of room to be away from each other. So, I'm thinking I may have a similar situation on my hands, he seems really healthy, and he's active. He drinks, he eats his calcium. He jut won't eat any bugs. So far i've tried crickets mealies and superworms. He's really good about feeding out of the syringe but am I going to have to do this forever?

So I guess for my slurry question.....how long can he be on this diet?

Thanks
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet? Empty Re: How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet?

Post by herp625 Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Well did you take him to the vet first? The slurry is only to be given after a vet visit for nutritional support. You must find out why he is not eating. Stop the slurry and give him a few days and try feeding bugs again. If he does not eat double check your temps and make sure he is well hydrated. Feces look normal?

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet? Empty Re: How long can a gecko be on the slurry diet?

Post by theodora Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:29 am

When I got my gecko she was 2 months old and smaller than a new hatched. She didn't want to eat either. Didn't eat for a week.
I was desperate and I cut a cricket. Like...cut it in many small pieces, mixed its juices with a bit of water and dropped a drop on her nose. She licked it (i guess recognized it as food) and then 2 hours later when I gave her alive crickets - she started eating em.
Sounds very disgusting but maybe you should try it. It worked for me.
theodora
theodora

LGF Points LGF Points : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Yeah I've been cutting up bugs and feeding with a dropper. I guess i'm just going to have to take him to the vet for further testing Sad poor little guy
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:17 am

Yes, please do. Sometimes when anorexia kicks in it's a way that the body protects itself from further damage. You can be doing more harm than good feeding without finding the cause. Vet ASAP!

herp625
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down