Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live?

+2
Jess
Leesah
6 posters

Go down

Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live? Empty Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live?

Post by Leesah Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:36 am

I seem to find a lot of conflicting information on exactly how long a leopard gecko is supposed to live.
Some say 10 years.. some say 20.. some say over 20... and everything in between.

My gecko is almost 9 now and the vet seems to think she is "old".
Is she?

Any long time owner/breeder know an average lifespan of a healthy gecko?
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live? Empty Re: Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live?

Post by Jess Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:55 am

I just adopted one that is about 15 years old. Smile His first owner had him since 1997!

He is still pretty chunky (79g), eats well, and has a little attitude too LOL.
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live? Empty Re: Age. Exactly how long does a gecko live?

Post by James Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:48 am

geckos can live into their 20's if they have the proper care and husbandry ect. Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 am

not sure it is valid, but i heard from a reputable breeder, that one guy has one that is 31 years old....a leopard.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

From what I've read average is between 10-15 years. Those that have their geckos go above 20+ years are actually more rare. It's like your cats & dogs, they can live that long, but most of them don't.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:49 am

It depends on many things.

Was the gecko healthy to begin with?
Breeding, high fat diet, poor husbandry and stress will lead to a shortened lifespan.
My cousin's gecko is 13 years old and is still active. She never allows her to go over 80 grams.
She only feeds her crickets and silkworms. The other people I know that have had their geckos live over 15 are very cautious of weight and insects they feed. They have NEVER fed waxworms or pinkies. Their diets mostly consist of crickets, silkworms, roaches and hornworms. They make sure their whole body remains warm, not just their stomache.

mealworms= do not gutload well, do not hold dust well, can be difficult to digest.
superworms= do not gutload well, do not hold dust well, higher in fat content than mealworms.

Of course a breeder has too many and cannot afford to have them all live in optimal conditions.
Besides their goal is to sell them and not keep them forever.

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down