Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

example of dish to put live mealworms into please.

3 posters

Go down

example of dish to put live mealworms into please. Empty example of dish to put live mealworms into please.

Post by srawlings Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

just got my leo after lots of reading,

im a little worried that shes not eating, she spends almost all her time in the hide, i know shes probably nervous but still...

i put the meal worms in her tank and they scatter... i want to get a dish so she can go get them when she wants them, but dont want to get one to big or to small.

i was thinking the Exo Terra Small Worm Dish

thanks for the input

srawlings

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 42

Back to top Go down

example of dish to put live mealworms into please. Empty Re: example of dish to put live mealworms into please.

Post by Krakatoa Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, you definitely don't want your worms running around uneaten, they can nibble on your leo, or they'll hide and finish turning into beetles. You can buy one of those dishes, or look around your house. As long as the walls of the dish are completely smooth, and are tall enough so the worm can't push themselves out you're good. I found a small fondue cup that we don't use anymore, and it works like a charm.
Krakatoa
Krakatoa

LGF Points LGF Points : 54

Back to top Go down

example of dish to put live mealworms into please. Empty Re: example of dish to put live mealworms into please.

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I find a ceramic soap dish works well, that way she can crawl into the dish with them if she wants. It could take up to 2-3 weeks for her to settle in and be comfortable enough to eat. Also if you could fill out our care questionnaire that would give us some insight into any husbandry problems you might have that could be hindering her desire to eat. http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by srawlings Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Care Questionaire:

About your leo:
- Female (i think... i checked)
- Age & Weight- unsure but small, maybe 5 in long
- Morph (if you know)- ???
- How long have you owned your leo- since 12 FEB 2012
- Where was he/she obtained- Petsmart
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred-???

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo-not at all yet... soon hopefully
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how- doesnt really do anything but hide so i dont kno
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal- there has been 3 and they all look the same
- When was the last time he/she went- every day
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on- not sure if shes eating enough or coming out enough

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size- 20L
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept)-Glass
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) -vinyl tiles with paper towel over them
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.)-3, warm (half log), wet (ziplock bowl upside down with hole), and cool (a cave thing that goes on both sides so you can open and see her) which is where she spends all of her time
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one** UTH but not sure the brand, whatever the one they sell at petsmart is, and i will soon pick up a ceramic heat bulb for it as well
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side) 90 and 75
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.) light dimmer
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc) probe
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration) no
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) none
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding- mealworms
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? every day 5ish worms, they run off so im not sure she eats them
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect) left on tank floor, ordered a bowl for her
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand) reptical powder i believe
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)none
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.) pile in tank 24/7
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with, oatmeal and carrots

srawlings

Back to top Go down

Post by srawlings Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 pm

hope im not doin to bad...

srawlings

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

No your not doing bad Smile couple things I'd change are bring your temps up a little for young leos, 92-94*f would be better. She might be spending alot of her time in the cool hide because its more secure, maybe move that to the warm side and the half log to the cool side see if that helps. Also you need a multi vitamin. Dust feeders 1-2xa week for juvies. You might want to try a more active feeder like small crickets, more active prey could be more enticing. You can try putting worms in a dish to see if that helps. Gutload with veggie scraps, potato, carrot, apple minus the seeds, oatmeal is bedding not food. Not sure that you need to add a ceramic heat emitter. Ambient room temps should be fine as long as they don't go into the low/mid 60s.

So overall not bad, looks like youre in the right track.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by srawlings Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:17 am

i looked at the calcium and it has vit D3 as well, is that what your talking about?

srawlings

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 am

Not exactly. If youre not using an all in 1 suppliment like repashy calcium plus or t-rex complete leopard gecko dust icb, you need plain calcium, calcium with D3, and a multi vitamin. Plain calcium goes in a dish in the viv, dust with calcium with D3 2x a week, and dust with the multi vit. 1x a week. Altogether you need 3 different suppliments to properly suppliment your leo. If your leo is less than 6 months old dust with multi vit 2x a week in my opinion.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down