Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!)

+4
rickmoss95
samsleopardgeckos
gothicgurrrl
Jess
8 posters

Go down

Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) Empty Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!)

Post by Jess Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:13 am

So, at the pet store I work at, someone decided they no longer wanted their 15 year old leopard gecko and dropped him off. He has calcium sand, no humid hide, and a white basking light for heat. Sad He has a good body weight, but the little guy just broke my heart! I'm trying to convince my mom to let me adopt him, and trying to get my boss to lower his adoption fee for me. (Everything he comes with in his set-up is either broken, or not suitable for a leo...)

He has some badly retained shed in one of his eyes though. They previous owner told them it doesn't bother him (What????), but I did some research on it and it looks like it can lead to an eye infection. If I end up adopting him, what would I need to be prepared for in terms of medical care? I go to a great reptile vet that I could get eye oitment from if I need too. But are there other ways to get the shed off?

Wish me luck! I',, keep you guys updated on if I can adopt him. Smile
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) Empty Re: Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!)

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:22 am

awww poor little guy Sad
I don't understand why people get pets if they are not going to look after them properly Sad It doesn't take a lot to just read up about their care Sad

I hope your mom lets you adopt him Smile Good luck!

gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) Empty Re: Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!)

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:33 am

with eye's and retained shed your best bet is take the poor guy to the vets if you do get him as they are the best people to deal with there eyes without damageing them.

Good luck with getting your mum to let you adopt him Smile x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

leopard geckos do not shed eyecaps like other (non eyelid) geckos and snakes...their eyes are pretty much like ours...they shed the skin around the eyes, but not the eye itself. other geckos, and snakes have a protective transparent "scale" over thier eyes, that actually sheds with the skin, leopards, fat tails, and other eyelid geckos do not...there may be something in her eye, maybe even skin, so see if you can maybe flush it with water, but have someone to help you hold, or rinse, and have the other person do the opposite...let us know how it goes
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:54 am

...but i do agree with sam about the vet, so please do not think i dont want you to take her to the vet. i also reccomend this!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Agreed with Rick but it could LOOK like there is shed on the eyes because maybe there is shed that got in her eyes and it looks like it is her eyes shedding. Just a thought. Thanks for the help Rick thumbs up
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Well, there is something in his eye that shouldn't be there, and I had been reading something about stuck shed. I know it's something along those lines! But anyways, I've adopted him!! Very Happy I'll add pics and more details tomorrow!
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:59 pm

could be a rub on the eye its self appearing a lump caused by retained shed or it could be retained shed loss in the eye but either way best thing is to see the vet hun, get the vet to check in his mouth for a abcess droped down from the roof/side of his mouth as that can happen from retained shed but the eye will usually be puffy and may even have a grey film over it.

Glad he's got a great home with you Smile x
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Marnie Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 am

Awww! Congratulations Very Happy Itching to see!
Marnie
Marnie
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 484

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:02 pm

OK, here he is! Very Happy

So I dumped out all of the sand, cleaned out his tank really well, gave him a new hide that he actually fits in and a humid hide, and used a ceramic heater instead of the basking light. I bought him some nice new dishes today too, since his old water dish was covered in sand stains and complete with algae. I wanted to take a "before" picture, but I had to get rid of the sand before I brought him home LOL... Here are the "after" pictures though! Very Happy

Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02521
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02522

He's actually pretty chunky!
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02529

His bad eye. I put some water on it and the crap softened up enough that he could open it, but once he was back in his viv it dried up again. If I can't fix it myself over the weekend, I'll call the vet to see if I can get him some ointment. Does anyone know of something I can put on his eye to help him? I have some eye ointment and eye drops on hand that I've used for my rabbit and my dog, but I'm not sure if they are reptile safe. Does anyone know of some eye drops/ointments that are?
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02534
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02535

Whatcha lookin' at??
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02537
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02538

Discovering his new wormie dish:
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02542
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02543
Retained eye caps/shed? (Might get a rescue!) DSC02546

So far, he is incredibly sweet and friendly. I don't understand how someone could get rid of him! He was very patient with me when I was wetting his eye, and trying to get the retained shed off his fingers. I tried feeding him a little roach, but it kept hiding under him and he was getting really confused. He happily ate it out of my fingers though! Later when I was peeling off the mass amount of tape that is stuck to the side of his tank for some reason, he ran right over to me and stared at me... He must have figured out that me = food. :P

And he needs a name! I really like Stanley, but I'm still thinking. Other possible names are Captain Jack (His eye looks piratey!), Sheldon, Kody, or Quincey. Any other ideas?
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:13 pm

He's gorgeous! He sounds like quite the little cutie. I find the "reject" leos always seem to have the sweetest personalities!

Plain saline drops would be OK for you to use.

He's also going to need an UTH soon. Smile
Good luck with him!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:20 pm

thats so awesome that you got him! im so glad he got to have a happy ending, and what a cutie he is, i bet he is so happy to be with you now. i personally like captain jack but that's because that is a person on a show called Dr.Who lol but anyways i remember hearing that with the sheds in the eyes, that you should go to the store and get plain saline solution, no added cleaning chemicals or anything just saline, and you can drop that into his eye and try and wash the shed out. you could also call a reptile vet and explain whats going on and ask them if there is anything besides rinsing with saline that would help.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Yup, he will definitely get a UTH but the CHE will work for now... It's better than what he had! I need to get another thermostat first though, or figure out how to position his cage so that I can plug his UTH into Stella's thermostat. The last thing he needs is to be burned by a UTH.

I'll see if I have any saline, or I'll get some tomorrow. Very Happy

Anything else I can do for him? He doesn't seem to know what to do with a humid hide. He will sit there and stare at it or poke his head it, but he won't go in it.

He prefers to konk out in the middle of the cage than use any of his hides, actually. Rolling Eyes
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:50 pm

lol thats awesome he must just love his new home to much to hide from it lol but he probably doesnt know the moist hide is safe yet give him time he will eventually go in, especially if you get him that uth and put the moist hide half on the uth lol
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Just thought I'd give you all an update!

He is already a completely different gecko than before, and I've only had him 2! At the store he was really lethargic, and would army-crawl around in the sand with his eyes closed. One of my co-workers actually thought he was dead!
Now he is exploring everything, walks normally with his eye open, and he will get really excited and come out of his little cave when he sees me. He is very alert and curious.

He still doesn't know what to do with his humid hide though. He just stares at it, and yesterday he went up to it and started drinking water off the paper towel. He won't go in it though!

And I found some lamp dimmers on Amazon for $10, so I should be able to get his UTH this week! Very Happy

I don't have any Saline eye drops though, I don't think. Like, would it just say "saline" for the ingredients, or what should I be looking for?
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 pm

im so glad he is doing so well! that's great to hear, and if i were you i would go to your pharmacist and ask them if they could show you a saline solution that would be safe for rinsing your eye out with that doesn't have extra crap for contacts. they should be able to point you in the right direction ^_^
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am

Stanley has developed some attitude LOL... He decided that the HATES being picked up! Once you get him out of his tank he is OK. But when I try to get him in his tank, he flails wildly and does a little alligator death-roll to try to espace! Poor guy. I want to help his eye, but I don't know if I should be picking him up or letting him calm down for a while and leave him alone. And I think I'm just going to call the vet on Monday and see what he can give me... If I'm going to buy something for his eye, I might as well get the right stuff! Smile

He is eating really well though. I hand-feed him a roach nymph every night, and I was helping him find mealies. He will go after them when they are by his "good" eye, but he looses them when they crawl near the other side of his face. He has horrible aim too, so it takes him 3 or 4 tries before he can get it.
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down