Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!!

4 posters

Go down

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!! Empty Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!!

Post by anne15423 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Hello everyone,

Today I rescued two 4.5 year old leopard geckos from a man who clearly did not know how to take care of them properly. The one currently has rot jaw and eye caps. She does not open her eyes what do ever and is so thin it makes me hurt for her Sad I tried getting her to eat but she wont. The man said he "treated" her for mouth rot and eye caps but clearly he did not Sad i feel so bad for this little girl. what can i do? I just need any information in general. I'm considering giving her to the spca if i cannot bring her back to health. She is such a sweet girl Sad She also clearly has a calcium problem since her back right leg bends oddly when she walks.

anne15423

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 25

Back to top Go down

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!! Empty Re: Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!!

Post by anne15423 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!! Leopar10

her ^^^^

anne15423

Back to top Go down

Post by anne15423 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!! Leopar11

anne15423

Back to top Go down

Post by anne15423 Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:51 pm

Rot Jaw and Eye caps HELP!! Leopar12

Healthy one that i got with her

anne15423

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm

She needs to see a vet. Can you take her? because she needs antibiotics. Fill this our anyway. http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions

peach75
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Kira Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:50 pm

ok i had two geckos dropped of with the same problem i went to the vet! what you can do to help a little bit get saline solution ( in walmart for contaked linses! rinse her eye out! if you keep rinsing it will open! do not use water form the sink that has clorin and thats not good! you need to go to the vet you need the medicin we got a letter ( dont know what called in english) went to wallgreens it is 17 dollars that you need to give her twice a day after rinsing her eyes out and for the mouth rot our vet said to use the drops for it to! allwas the vet said if they cant see they wont eat ! but if you dont get it taken care off they will slowy starve to death and you dont want that! dang i had one in our reptile store he told me what to get for it that it cheaper and no vet needed but i desided to spend the extra and go to the vet!

well he deals and was breeding reptiles over 30 years ! but well i wanted the vet!
Kira
Kira

LGF Points LGF Points : 264

Back to top Go down

Post by Kira Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:52 pm

you know what funny they two look just the two i got dropped off!!! thats wird !
Kira
Kira

LGF Points LGF Points : 264

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Kira is right about flushing the eyes with plain saline solution. Do it for about 10 minutes 2-3x a day for the next 4-5 days. Don't rub with a qtip on the eye as you could scratch the cornea. Best hope is to get a corner up and just gently pick it off with a blunt tweezers or your fingernails. If you get the lenses off or if they discharge any type of yellowy/greenish oooze that's sign of an infection and she'll need prescription drops from the vet.

The mouth rot is still evident in the pix so you're either going to have to get the name/bottle of the prescription the previous owner was using so you can try to find it, or get his vet records to your vet's office so you can order more medcine. You're most likely going to need a vet to write a prescription for the meds so best thing would be an office visit with a herp vet but if you can't at the very least try contacting the vets to see if they'll work off the records for the meds. Her eye looks pretty swollen too which could mean a secondary infection from the mouth rot since the tear, sinus and moutha re all connected. Infection can travel to the whole face in a short period of time.

Next thing you need to do is get some liquid calcium and put it in her water if you think she's coming down with MBD. Keep the water bowl close to her hide. Also get a dish of calcium with D3, usually this is NOT recommended but since she isn't eating and you're giving plain calcium in the water you need to offer a source with D3 so she can absorb any calcim she's taking in. Leave the dish with the D3 calcium in the viv overnight 3x a week so like mon. wedns. fri. so that she can get her D3 regimen with out fear of overdosing her on D3.

After that you'll want to make a bug slurry for her to get started eating again. She's likely in GI stasis for going so long with out food so you need to start her out slowly with easy to digest food. Slurry is perfect for this. Here's the recipe: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t815-slurry-recipe-for-the-long-term-fasting-gecko Get as close to this as you can. If you're missing a couple things it should still be ok. Your leo doesn't look emaciated but she is skinny. She still has some fat on her tail but not much. I think if you can get the infections under control you should be able to bring her back. You'll likely need to syringe feed her the slurry by dabbing it on her nose so she can lick it off, or worse come to worse use an eye dropper and put it in her mouth. Rubbing the corners of her mouth with the eye dropper should get her to open for you. You might want to try feeding her 2x a day for the next 4-5 days while you get her eyes sorted out and she can start to hunt on her own.

In the meanwhile if you could fill out our care questionaire we can check over your hisbandry and see if there's any other areas that you might want to adjust to make sure she has all she needs http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions

Good luck... hope this helps Smile ... keep us updated thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down