Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New gecko acting weird

2 posters

Go down

New gecko acting weird Empty New gecko acting weird

Post by ashleyevan Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:30 am

So we got a new female last Friday, she is very friendly and is fine when you hold her but lately she started acting strange. She hasnt eaten at all since we got her and she hasnt pooped. She'll stay in her moist hide for days, we made her a new moist hide becuse we thought it would be darker for her and used the same container we had as the moist hide for the cold hide, when we did that she wouldnt leave the cold hide. So it this normal? Im thinking she's stressed because she's new and not used to everything. But We have meal worms in her cage at all times and we've even tried crickets, she wont eat anything. And when she's in her moist hide she'll dig in the substrate and it gets all over the floor or her tank. Let me know what you guys think because we're worried and hope she will stat showing interest in food. Thanks for all of your help Smile

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

New gecko acting weird Empty Re: New gecko acting weird

Post by kathstew Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 am

Did you sterilize everything in the old tank, if you used the same one as the other leo was in? Its very important, in case the other leo passed on from something contagious.

I wouldn't handle her for about a week so she gets used to her new home. If she is showing signs of stress (which she is now), its best to leave her alone for a few days.

Most new leos won't eat for a few days after arriving in a new home, so I think she'll be fine. Just give her some time.

I don't really understand what you mean by the hide thing lol, can you elaborate a bit? (I'm feeling a bit slow today LOL). But if you were rearranging the tank, that will cause a bit more stress on her, as when you rearrange the tank thats like putting her in a new tank. Its all new territory to her. So that may stress her out a bit more.

Digging in her moist hide is normal, my leos do it too.

Don't leave crickets in the cage with her if she's not eating them. Crickets have been known to try to nibble on leos.Did you sterilize everything in the old tank, if you used the same one as the other leo was in? Its very important, in case the other leo passed on from something contagious.

I wouldn't handle her for about a week so she gets used to her new home. If she is showing signs of stress (which she is now), its best to leave her alone for a few days.

Most new leos won't eat for a few days after arriving in a new home, so I think she'll be fine. Just give her some time.

I don't really understand what you mean by the hide thing lol, can you elaborate a bit? (I'm feeling a bit slow today LOL). But if you were rearranging the tank, that will cause a bit more stress on her, as when you rearrange the tank thats like putting her in a new tank. Its all new territory to her. So that may stress her out a bit more.

Digging in her moist hide is normal, my leos do it too.

Don't leave crickets in the cage with her if she's not eating them. Crickets have been known to try to nibble on leos.

Let us know what happens! Good luck, keep us updated!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 am

Well we haven't had any other geckos in the tank before her. Since she wasn't eating the crickets we took them all out because I've heard that they chew! And I made the hide part confusing but we had used an upside down tupperware container as the moist hide and it was inconvinient because the substrate was on the lid so we changed it to another tupperware with lid on top but instead of throwing away the old hide we took out the substrate and took off the and made it the new cold hide. If that makes any sense, sorry! But when we changed it, we realized she would only stay in the tupperware that was the.new.cold hide. And also the only reason we held her while she's settling in was because we were changing the paper towel

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 am

Oh sorry, I got you confused you with another member. Sorry! Thats why I asked about the disinfecting thing. Never mind then.

Crickets definitely do. I saw one try to take a bite out of my leo Miracle once O_O I took it out after that, lol

Oh OK, I understand the hide thing now. Makes sense! She may just need some time to figure out all her hides. I find all my leos have a favourite hide, so the cool hide may just be her favourite hide. Has she not gone on the hot side at all yet?

Alright good, I'd just keep leaving her alone for a few days to get used to her new house.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down