Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned

3 posters

Go down

Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned Empty Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned

Post by theodora Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Hello,
I'm writing to share my problem from last night and seek for some advice and suggestions of what could it be.
A month ago I took a tail-less female baby gecko, from somebody who could take care of her. When I got her she was extremely small and weak, and again - no tail (but no infection either).
Now 1 month later I relaxed because she eats a lot of crickets and she gained weights - she is between 2 to 3 times bigger than in the begging.
She is sweet and calm, curious as well, and always very very quiet - whatever she is doing. That since last night. At around 23:00 I wished her good night and went to bed. Then she started scratching her bag ground wildly and banging her head in the box (she still leaves in plastic box 40/30/20sm with wholes for air and heat math from above).
I stood up to see whats going on and got extremely scared when I saw her raised on her bag legs, all white (not shedding related white, but pale), her pupils were very unusual - all wide, and her eyes perfect circle - never seen her so wide-eyed. And then I poked her and nothing - no reaction, when usually she doesn't allow me to poke her and jumps, and runs away.
I took her out of the box and she got conscious again in few seconds.
I looked into her box - she had very soft liquidity poop that smelled synthetically. Is it possible that this poop poisoned the air and almost killed my baby? Boyfriend believes that the air wasn't enough - but I thinks the wholes we have are sufficient to ventilate - and it has been like that whole month without her going crazy like that. So I don't believe is that.
I believe that the poop was the reason because she was trying to escape from the other end of the box, not where the poop was.
Anyways - I removed the poop, changed her papers and put her back. Then she went into her hide - again with crazy pupil-ed eyes and didn't move the whole night.
This morning she seems quite sad but fine - eats her crickets and hides.
But I worry extremely much from what happened last night and I would very much appreciate your oppinions on the matter Sad

Thank you.
theodora
theodora

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 58

Back to top Go down

Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned Empty Re: Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned

Post by smsararas2 Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:20 am

I think given the circumstances of her extreme behaviour I would like it if you could fill out our health questionnaire please. It can be found at:

http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions

I would not like to venture a guess without some more information. Keep an eye on her and I would let her be for a little bit.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned Empty Re: Young gecko goes from crazy to stoned

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:28 am

She's eating and pooing so that's very encouraging...filling out the health questionaire will absolutely help us but you mentioned heat mat from above, that's incorrec they need belly heat so heat mat from below. Use a probe thermometer and monitor the floor space over the uth. You want a range of 88-96* F. A95-98* F, bit warmer for leos that are ill or not eating.

Any number of things could have happened from defensive display to focal seizure, asphixia, or stroke. Id google a few things to even see if its possible for leos to have focal seizures or strokes. Monitor eating and move the uth, try paper towel (kitchen roll) substrait insted of paper bags, they will absorb offensive fumes and help filter the air, also provides better grip so your leo doesn't slide, hurtng or scaring itself in the process. I would put some more holes in the bin, or cut out a section of the plastic top and duct tape a piece of screen in its place. That way you know you have good air circulation.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theodora Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:46 am

Thank you and sorry, I'm new and I wasn't sure what to do with the questionnaire.
Thats about her

About your leo:
- Sex - FEMALE
- Age & Weight - 3 MONTHS
- Morph (if you know) - N/A (dont think so)
- How long have you owned your leo - 5(6) WEEKS
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.) - BREEDER
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred - CAPTIVE

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo - ONCE A DAY (STARTED 2 WEEKS AGO)
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how - LOOKS FINE TODAY
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. - THE PROBLEM IS DESCRIBED ABOVE
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal - LAST 3 DAYS IT HAS BEING SOFT AND A BIT LIQUID
- When was the last time he/she went - LAST NIGHT
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on -PROBLEM IS ABOVE

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size - 32/26/14 CM
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept) - PLASTIC TRANSPARENT BOX
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) - KITCHEN PAPER
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.) - 2 HIDES - ONE ON WARM AND ONE ON COLD SIDE (THERE IS ONLY 2 DEGREES IN DIFFERENCE), AND 1 WOODEN THINGY THAT SHE LIKES TO CLIMB ON
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source - HEAT MATH, 27/28CM BY LP REPTILES, 14 WATTS
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side) - HOT SIDE: 31DEGREES, COLD -29
- Method of regulating your heat source - I DONT REGULATE IT?
- What are you using to measure your temps - STICK ON TEMP GAUGE
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration) NOPE
C) Cage mates - NO MATES
theodora
theodora

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down