Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MBD & Weight Loss

2 posters

Go down

MBD & Weight Loss Empty MBD & Weight Loss

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:47 am

Split from 'Any guesses on morph' thread.

hiya,
how are you treating the ones with MBD? I may be able to give you some advice as i have 2with it that i took in from breeders.
Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

MBD & Weight Loss Empty Re: MBD & Weight Loss

Post by smsararas2 Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi Sam, sorry for the while in response, I was away for the weekend. Right now, they are not doing too bad so I am using some extra liquid calcium for them. Any advice that you have though would be great!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Hiya,
Thats ok.
With mine I was told by my vet to expose them to a hour of UVB2% a day for a month as it helps harden there bones and it does work also I was syringe feeding them a liqiud calcium called Zolcal-D only a small amount every other day while they have the Uvb treatment, now they just have calcium powder in there food.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

MBD & Weight Loss Empty MBD & Weight Loss

Post by smsararas2 Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:06 pm

All right, I can do that, I have many lizards so I have a few fixtures kicking around. Other than the two with the MBD I have one that I gotta take a fecal sample into the vet today. He is eating well but does not seem to be gaining and his poop is always very watery. He has me very worried. He is a full grown adult and only weigh about 26g. There is nothing to him! I got all the stuff yesterday to make him some slurry too. Everyone else is back on their food nd the one that had laid eggs and was looking deathly skinny has starting getting a tail back.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:38 am

yeah i have loads of spare fittings and bulbs in a box so if i ever need them for anything i have them.

Have you checked up in around your males teeth to make sure he hasn't got any mouth rot? as it doesn't always come out like pictures in the books, it can just appear as yellow scabbing up in the lip line. treatment for that is easy you just need to clear out any scabs and treat them with anti-biotics.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:36 am

I will check on that when I get home. I am leaving for work in about 3 minutes, one last little check here before I leave. I have been making sure that just in case he is sick I deal with him separately than all my other lizards.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:07 am

sensible to keep him seperate untill you know for deffinate whats the matter with him. how old is he? and what is the main food of his diet?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:06 pm

I picked up a batch of lizards that were for sale and when I saw them I knew that some of them were not taken care of very well at all, but me being the bleeding heart that I am I took them all anyways because I couldn't leave them there like that. I did get some good ones. A couple hybinos and a phantom, but some of them are pretty crappy looking. I am not sure if he was just not fed well or if he has parasites or what the case is. When I got home from work he was in his first shed which with my slight assistance he managed to pull off. I had to use q-tips and water on his head and face but he didn't really seem to mind too much. Probably just enjoyed a gentle touch. He is the one that is in the roughest shape. The rest of the I just needed to get back on food and fatten them up. There are two with MBD, one of them a hatchling that I don't think could be more than 2 weeks old, but he is coming along quite well. Other than that they had housed all them together so there are about 3 or 4 gravid females that should not be big enough to be gravid so I am struggling to feed them a few times a day to get them as fat as I can so when they do lay they are a little ahead of the game. I know that I should have walked away but I just couldn't leave them all there. Even if some of them do die at least they will have known some kindness and love.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 am

i know what you mean i would of done the same if it was me. I hope all the geckos will be ok, I bet he did enjoy you helping him get his shed skin off, i have a little enigma that i have to help shed and she likes it.
I cant believe that a baby at 2weeks old has MBD, does it affect the babies walking and feeding? it might take the gravid girls a while to regain there condition but hopefully they will.
Did you check the males mouth for scabs yesterday?
im sure everyone here will try to help & give advice on anything they know about.

you can see all my special needs & deformed leos in the showing off pictures.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:35 am

The little tiny hatchling with MBD I considered culling but then I decided to see how it turns out. He has the BEST appetite out of all of them and does not let the deformities slow him down at all. He can catch a worm and eat it down faster than any of the others. Other than the deformities he seems very happy and content so he is doing well in my eyes. I was afraid he would live in pain and unhappiness but that is definately NOT the case so he is good. He does walk on his "elbows" and his back legs at time wiggle quite a bit but it doesn't slow him down.

When I had the male out yesterday I checked his mouth for scabs and there are none at all and actually yesterday he had his first solid poop that looked normal so I am looking at that as a good sign.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 am

thats good to here that he's a happy little chap who eats better than everyone else, i wouldn't cull him if he's that happy. With the uvb treatment his bones should harden up nicely. My female called Bow-Dottles has mbd and she walking on the ankles/elbows of her front legs but she moves just aswell as the normals.

Glad to hear you found no scabs and his poop is normal looking again, hopefully it was just lack of food and poor diet.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:05 am

Only at first did I consider culling him because I thought he might be in pain and suffering. Now that I have seen how happy that he is I wouldn't dream of it. I have him having his light treatment right now as we speak.

Also as we speak I am setting up a turtle tank because my heart bleeds for all and I am going to foster some turtles for a rescue organization from toronto. These are only fosters though until they get a permanent set up for them. I am such a sucker for a pretty face...the animals that is...lol! Good thing my husband likes to help too or he just might leave me, after all he gave up his work shop bench for the turtles......LMAO!!!!!!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 am

Glad to hear he's a happy little guy, is he enjoying the light treatment? mine found it odd as they never came out while it was light.

Im a sucker for a pretty face too but my partener has me limited to how many and what i can take in as otherwise we wouldn't be able to move lol you'll have to put some pics on here of all the animals you are helping Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 am

I will see about finding some time to take some pics and post them. He didn't seem to mind the light at all. I am hoping to get him well again. He is a pretty good looking guy too and it has only affected his legs so far so if I can stop it there that would be great!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 pm

thats good to hear, hopefully you've caught it in time to prevent it from getting any worse Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 pm

I really hope so because he is quickly becoming one of me favorites. He has such a big personality for such a little guy.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:09 am

you'll have to keep us upto date with how the little guy does and i really hope he'll be ok Smile i know what its like to get attached to them and there cute little faces
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:13 pm

I just thought that I would post an update on a couple of my little buddies that we were discussing on here. Tiny is getting stronger every day. His MBD is not as bad as it had looked in the first place. He still walks on his elbows slightly but now that he has been on good gut loaded food his back legs support his weight fully and do not wibble and wobble at all.

My male is on antibiotics from the vet. they did not find parasites but think he has some sort of intestinal infection so he is on a small small amount of antibiotics a day...poor guy they couldn't even give him a regular dose because he is so emaciated. BUT, as the vet said, "He still stands tall and was strong enough to want to bite her when she was poking at his" so, this is good she says. He is now 34g when I weighed him and although is still looking rough he is on the up I think.

As for the gravid ladies, I now have 3 fertile eggs in the incubator and two that I am not sure about so there they sit. That is all that I have for updates right now but at least they are good ones. Thanks for all the caring and support guys!!
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for the update, glad to here tiny is doing well and so is the other male.
hopefully you'll have some cute little babies soon then Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down