Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the group...turning over a new leaf

+4
Kermit
Kodieh
asianpersuasion
Tammy24
8 posters

Go down

New to the group...turning over a new leaf Empty New to the group...turning over a new leaf

Post by Tammy24 Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 am

Hi everyone! My name is Erin and I have one Leopard Gecko named Tammy who I've had for almost 8 years now. Unfortunately for the majority of her life she has not gotten the best care, she was bought for me when I was in 7th grade because my hermit crabs kept dying and my parents didn't like wasting money on them. They assumed it was the hermit crab's problem, that they weren't hardy or just had super short life spans or something, but that's not the case at all lol. We just didn't know how to take care of them and didn't know how to take care of Leos either, we just went with what the pet store told us. That meant calci sand, no supplements, a UTH on the SIDE of the tank, a bright basking light, no humid hide, no gut loading food, and the list goes on.

About three years ago I joined a different forum and learned quite a bit. I gave her tile, moved the UTH under the tank, got a humid hide, started using supplements and gutloading my mealies, and all that. Unfortunately at that point damage had already been done. She has missing toes from stuck shed and I don't think she is as large as her genetics might have allowed. The forum I had joined didn't have any stickies and I found many of the members intimidating/harsh so I didn't learn as much as I should have because the information was difficult to find and I was afraid to ask "stupid" questions and Tammy still hasn't been living in the best care which I realized when I joined here. Her UTH is WAY too small (I had never heard it had to be 1/3 of the tank), I still don't really have a hang of supplementation, and I really think it's all affecting her very badly, particularly the temperature thing. I'm ashamed to admit I've never monitored the floor temp of her tank. I had been given those stupid stick on thermometer strips when we got her and learned they were useless a long time ago and ripped them off but never got anything to monitor floor temps with, plus given the small size of her UTH, the poor thing is probably in a state of semi-hibernation or something.

Thankfully the info I've found on this forum is really straight forward and easy to find so I'm learning a lot and plan to make big upgrades to her tank, the first of which is getting a big UTH and a thermometer. Do you think a probe one or a infrared gun one is better? I'm going to be getting it from petco or petsmart so keep that in mind.

I'd also like more solid info on supplements. I know they need pure calcium (I was originally told this should be the one they have 24/7 access to but am also reading the calcium with D3 should be the one in a dish, so I don't know), calcium with D3 and a vitamin mix. But I really have no clue how often each should be given or if there are certain things that should be in the vitamin mix, etc. So I'd love more detailed info on that.

I'm going to get her better tile because what she's on now is smooth and I didn't realize that could cause issues, plus I don't like the look of it anyways.

I am really glad to have found this place and I want to all to know you're really going to help turn my Leos life around, I'm hoping these changes will make her a bit more active. Any additional advice is much appreciated.

I also own two Siamese cats, a chihuahua mix dog, 6 or 7 (there's a mystery one in there) hermit crabs- I learned how to take care of them thanks to forums and they are now my pride and joy, and two African Clawed Frogs. I know a lot more about all of them than I do about my Leo, who I've had longer than all of them. So please, enlighten me!

Here are a few pics of the lovely lady (they're old, obviously the ones with her on sand are very old. I don't have any new ones...need to get some next time I'm home from school-she is currently in my parents care)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tammy24

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 50

Back to top Go down

New to the group...turning over a new leaf Empty Re: New to the group...turning over a new leaf

Post by asianpersuasion Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:13 am

WOW well i must say first that whatever pet store gave you that information needs to be smacked around a little bit. There info is WAY off base. Ok so as for the UTH your on the right track about getting her a bigger one. I would recommend that you also purchase either a thermostat or a rheostat for the UTH so that you can set it to maintain a solid temperature. The temperature on the floor right above her UTH should be about 90degrees at all times. On the other end of the viv or the "Cool End" of the tank can maintain about 75-80degrees at all times. In the viv you should provide a dish of pure Calcium at all times and dust her food every 2 to 3 feedings with a Calcium with D3 in it and a multi vitamins every couple of feedings as well. You want to make sure that her moist hide is half on the heat mat and half off to help produce the needed humidity. She should also have a nice dark hide on the cooler side of the tank. Leo get all there heat from there bellies hence why you should measure floor temps not air or ambient temps. Get rid of you basking light. Leos are nocturnal and require zero speacial lighting. If you want a little bit of light in the tank for better viewing you can buy a low watt blue day bulb to use. Good job on eliminating the sand. Probe thermometers work very well but Infrared heat guns are best for checking temps. Between the 2 its really up to the person as to which they prefer. I use accu-rite digital thermometer/hygrometer with probe in all of my vivs. For the moist hide there are many different options as for what to use for substrate. I personally like using Eco-Earth or any type of coconut husk bedding. It maintains moisture very well and doesnt have any type of oder. You can use vermiculate, peat moss, Sphagnum moss, or plain old paper towels. Which ever substrate you choose you want to make sure that it is Moist but not Soaking wet. Check it every few day and re-moisten as needed. Also be sure to have a water dish in her viv at all times. Just make sure that the water is not very deep or she could potentially drown. Make sure to change the water every day with fresh clean water. Other then that i think that pretty well covers it. But of course if i didnt answer everything or if you have more questions please please do ask them here. We have lots of great members with a vast knowledge of our beloved leo geckos and who will gladly help where needed.
Welcome to the Forums
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

New to the group...turning over a new leaf Empty Re: New to the group...turning over a new leaf

Post by Kodieh Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 am

I'm glad you're now seeking information out. My recommendation on the supplements in Reptivite WITH D3. I use it for all four of mine, and their super healthy in the vitamin regards.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:22 pm

Welcome to the forum... just to add to what Jay had said... the ideal temperature for leos is between 88-96*F. Some like it hotter, some like it cooler. Setting a mid range of about 93*F and working up or down from there will he'll you find your leos optimum temp. I know my boys optimum temperature is 95* I use a probe thermometer since I can't justify the price of an infra red gun.
Substrait... there is a great housing stcky that can tell you everything you ever needed to know about the perfect leo set up. ANY particle substrait, including sand and eco earth, can cause impaction. Also eco earth doesn't simulate their natural habitat (leos come from packed earth desert regions and live in rocky craigs and crevaces) and could retain too much moisture which can lead to upper respratory issues esp. if your tank is too cold.
Supliments... make it nice and simple, get repashy calcium plu icb or T-rex brand complete leopard gecko dust icb by sandfire foods . Those 2 are all in. Suppliment. Simply dust every feeding or ever other feeding depending on the condition of your leo. There is no need to leave a dish of plain calcium in the viv when you use an all in 1 but if you think your leo is suppliment deficient you can but keep an eye out for calcium bubbles in the armpits. This will let you know your leo is over supplimented.
So hope some of this helps. Good luck
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Erin & Tammy, welcome to the forum! I must say that even though your husbandry was mostly incorrect, Tammy still looks good in those photos and she is resilient to have lived for 8 years in your care.

I don't have anything else to add since Jay & Kel have answered all your questions. You have done the right thing by joining LGF and I know that you will learn everything you need to know right here.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:39 am

Welcome to the forum! My name is Kathryn! I'm glad that you are seeking out correct information! I hope we are able to help you and Tammy!

Tammy is a lovely leo!

Sounds like everything is under control right now, so I'll leave you with the info everyone else has give. Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:42 am

hiya & welcome to the forum Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Tammy24 Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:59 am

Thank you all for your kind and helpful responses! I have been using paper towels in the moist hide, I do have Eco-Earth because I use it for the Hermit crabs, but her sheds have been fine using the paper towel so I think I'll stick with it. I did forget to mention that I got rid of the basking light at the same time I ditched the sand.

As far as the pet store goes, it was petco, unfortunately you really can't expect any more from them. And my parents had far too much faith in my abilities to take care of things at that age. In some ways it's good I guess as it's the reason they listened when I said the cats had to come off of Purina and the dog had to come off of Pedigree, but it meant torment for my little creatures before I found the wonder that is online forums. Not that I didn't do any research at all, but there is some bad info out there for sure.

So thanks again, I'm going home for thanksgiving and that's when she'll get her new heating bad and a thermometer. I think once that's in place she'll be much happier as it's the only big problem with her set up, it just happens to be one of the most important aspects of their care Neutral

Tammy24

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by asianpersuasion Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:06 am

Im glad we could be of some help to you and GL with your leo and hope everything works out for ya.
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20 am

Welcome to the forum Smile
Tammy is a gorgeous leo Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down