Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ambient Temperature

3 posters

Go down

Ambient Temperature Empty Ambient Temperature

Post by Tammy24 Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 am

Hi all, I have been very curious about this for a while so figured I'd ask,

Whenever reading about Leos I read what the temperature of the ground should be, everyone says that is the only thing that matters. But I feel like the ambient temperature must matter somewhat...obviously if it's 60 degrees in the tank that's really chilly for a desert animal. So why doesn't anyone talk about ambient temperatures? Is it just assumed that if your UTH is bringing the ground temp to 90 that the UTH must be making the air warm enough? Does anyone have any ideas on what a good ambient temperature should be? I'm just curious, especially since my Leo spends most of her time on a second level, far from the UTH, I want to make sure I'm not letting the tank get too cold, especially with winter coming.

Tammy24

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 50

Back to top Go down

Ambient Temperature Empty Re: Ambient Temperature

Post by asianpersuasion Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am

All 3 of my Leo Vivs maintain an ambient temp of 76-80 degrees with just a UTH. I have blue day bulbs on there vivs just for viewing that are on dimmers set almost as low as they will go. i Have 2 vivs that are 40gal breeder tanks which measure 36L 18wide and 16tall. They maintain ambient temps of around 78-80 degrees depending on the rooms temp. My third Viv is a 55 gal aquarium that is 48L 13wide and 21tall which maintains about 76-78 degrees depending on the rooms temp.
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 am

From my understanding, leos get their heat from their bellies, not so much their other body parts. By laying over the heat pad they are getting all the heat they need.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down