Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding morph help?

2 posters

Go down

Breeding morph help? Empty Breeding morph help?

Post by kathstew Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 am

My dad said I could breed leopard geckos if I wanted to. I obviously won't do it until I have read and learned a lot about breeding. I may not even do it at all, I want to learn all about breeding first. I also have a very kind reptile specialty store that breeds leos, that would be able to help me if I came across any problems or just needed advice.
What could I breed my tremper albino with? I got her from Jolene.
I also have a normal, I got from another breeder.
And I have Miracle, the blizzard, but I don't want to breed her as she is a rescue and she has unknown genetic background.

I know I can't mix the albino strains. Big no-no. I obviously want to breed something other than normals from my tremper.
I've been messing around with this morph calculator.
I've been "discovering" (not sure if I'm completely right), that if I breed a tremper to a super snow, I'll get a mack snow het for tremper.
I could also breed my tremper with either a hypo or enigma copy 2 (meaning them are homozygous for the trait) and I'll get 100% hypo het tremper or 100% enigma het tremper. But there is controversy on breeding engimas, isn't there?
I could also breed my tremper to another tremper for more tremper.

I could breed my normal to another normal, which is OK. I would be keeping the baby I breed, so I wouldn't be worried about finding a home (as I know finding a normal home can be harder than finding a rarer morph a home).

Any other suggestions?

This is still all in the thinking stages obviously. I do have the materials available already at home to make a homemade incubator.

One reason I want to breed leos, is because I would one day like to better the lines of the morphs, and maybe create my own, as others are doing.
Another reason I'd like to breed leos, is because when I am older I'd like to be a vet. I am seriously considering become a herp vet, and think breeding would be a great way to see if I'm prepared for it (at least in one way).
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Breeding morph help? Empty Re: Breeding morph help?

Post by Mardy Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Having a tremper albino makes it fairly easy to match it up with many other morphs, as just about all morphs have had tremper genes crossed into them already. So at this point in time I think you should look through different morphs and find out what you would like to make yourself. Then from there figure out if it's possible and what you would need to create it.

There are just tons of possibilities. So what would you like to breed, create, and improve on?

As for Enigmas, I would recommend against enigmas especially for a first time breeder. 2 Copy also means the Enigma came from parents that are both Enigmas, and you would end up with a gecko with a very high chance of having enigma syndrome.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:19 am

Thank you for responding Mardy!

I like the brighter morphs, such as APTOR, Raptor, hybino. I also like super snows and murphy's patternless as well.

One day I'd like to create a new bright BRIGHT leo morph, but that is very far in the future. LOL.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was worried about the enigma syndrome. I will avoid breeding an enigma for now.

I'm going to a reptile expo this weekend, so I'd like to have a few options to choose from in the way of what males I could choose.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:37 am

I love the bright ones as well, see my profile pic (Sunglow) lol. So to work into a brighter more yellow/orange morphs from your tremper albino, you want to look for a paring that has more of that coloring & pattern you are looking for.

APTOR + Tremper Albino is a natural pairing, you'll get offsprings that will come out with more of that APTOR tangerine coloring.

RAPTOR + Tremper Albino will give you more tremper albinos that are het eclipse (het raptor). You won't be able to create RAPTORs on first generation. But what you can do is to breed the offsprings together and then you'll have the following chances:

50% Tremper Albino Patternless-Stripe het Eclipse
25% RAPTOR
25% APTOR

Which will give you a wider variety, and a 1 in 4 chance to get a red eyed RAPTOR. Could be exciting.

If you get a Sunglow to go with your tremper albino, you'll get offsprings with enhanced yellow patterns and even carrot tail. Sunglow was achieved by line breeding super hypo tangerine carrot-tail albinos together to get the perfect no spotting look of them. So again it'll take a couple of generations or more to make perfect sunglows, but your first generation would definitely get albinos with enhanced hypo/yellow coloring.

Hope that helps Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 am

This helps a lot! Thank you!!!!

It's funny, because it seems like a lot of members prefer the lighter morphs, like blizzards and mack snows. Only a few members seem to really favor the brighter morphs. :P

I'll keep my eye open for RAPTORs and APTORs and Sunglows then, but I think I really want the APTOR. I'd like to go for a very VERY bright APTOR tangerine color. I love that! Very Happy

So if I continued to line breed after, I would continue to get brighter and brighter? What morph would the APTOR x tremper be called?

Thank you so much, again! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:04 am

APTOR x Tremper Albino is just tremper albino. The main difference is APTOR's are more patternless-stripe orange, it's more tangerine looking than the standard tremper albinos, and it carries the patternless-stripe vs tremper albinos that are banded/patterned.

Selective line breeding will get you what you are looking for Breeding morph help? 131791

Last edited by Mardy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:05 am

Awesome! Thank you so much! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down