Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko.

4 posters

Go down

Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko. Empty Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko.

Post by craig88daa Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi everyone, I'm having problems with my new leopard gecko. I've had it for a few days now and he seems very shy and keeps climbing on the fake plant to the top of the tank. Also, I've tryed feeding him each evening with medium silent crickets which the person at the store advised and he doesn't seem to be the slightest bit interested. Should I eave the crickets in there until he eats them? Should I try changing food? Can anyone help me many thanks Craig.

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko. Empty Re: Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko.

Post by smsararas2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:51 pm

|Hi Craig and welcome to the forum. It sounds like pretty normal behavior for a new leopard gecko. They will usually be pretty shy at first and it is not unusual for them to go off their food for the first little while. Feeding crickets is fine but to be honest the easiest food for them to keep is meal worms and when they get big enough superworms. I would start off with some mealworms because those you can leave in his tank so that if he is too shy to eat with you watching him then he will eat when you are not around. Crickets should never be left in the tank with your leo as they will bite and if your leo is small enough may even kill it. People will usually leave them in for half an hour and then take out anything that is left over.

Hope this helps and please, keep asking question Very Happy
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko. Empty Re: Problem with new baby Leopard Gecko.

Post by kathstew Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 am

Welcome to the forum! Very Happy
My name is Kathryn, I hope you enjoy your time here!

I completely agree with Jolene (smararas2)!
It may take a few weeks for your leo to get used to its new home.
I really don't like feeding leos crickets. For one thing, as Jolene mentioned, they can attack your leo. For another, they are REALLY dirty, and are hard to keep clean. They will eat anything, including each other. Disease is passed on between them easily. You wouldn't want to feed your leo a diseased/sick cricket, now would you? Mealworms and superworms are the best food for them, IMO. Superworms will take getting used to by any leo, but I wouldn't start feeding them until your leo is bigger. Waxworms, butterworms and phoenix worms are also great to be used as a treat once a week or so. Not too much though! Wink
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:16 am

Thankyou again for your replys I am still trying to find my way around the site and have posted twice but I have taken on board your advise and it is much appreciated. I have asked more questions on my other post. Smile

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 am

Hiya Craig,

Welcome to the forum Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:50 am

Thankyou good to have a good source of knowledge Smile

craig88daa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down