Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby)

2 posters

Go down

My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby) Empty My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby)

Post by jmaymay Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Hello a week ago i have purchased a baby Leopard Gecko from my local pet store and it is very scared, runs away from me and sleeps 24 hours a day. I have daylight heat for day time and Red infared heat for night time. I also have 2 Chinese Water Dragons and they are fine. I even tried disabling the cricket from moving but the leopard Gecko still didnt want it. There will me times when he will creep up to the cricket ( im like YES eat) but he will get scared and run the other way. I have a water dish and also a calcium dish with D3. Any idea oh how i can get him to eat? I really dont want him to die because hes sooo cute.

jmaymay

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 28

Back to top Go down

My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby) Empty Re: My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby)

Post by jmaymay Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 pm

Btw I had him for 8 days.

jmaymay

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 28

Back to top Go down

My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby) Empty Re: My new Leopard Gecko isnt eating (baby)

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:03 pm

First, welcome to the forum. I hope we are able to help you!

Can you copy and please fill out: http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions
It will help us to help you. Posting a picture of your leo and set-up as well will also help.

The first thing I can tell is wrong, is leos don't use heat lamps. They need under the tank heaters (UTH). Leos get their heat from their bellies, as it helps them to digest food. So I suggest you get an UTH first off and get rid of the heat lamp. You should also get a probe thermometer to measure the temp of the FLOOR of the tank where the heater is (not the air temp). The floor temp on the hot side (there should be a hot side and a cold side) should be 88* - 95*.

Leos are crepuscular so they come out at dusk and dawn. You won't see your leo very active during the day. As well, if your leo is a baby or juvie, you won't see much of him either. Juvies feel safer hiding. As they get older and more comfortable they will explore more. Also, as you just got your leo you need to give him time to adjust. Leos can take a few weeks to adjust to their new home, so its best not to try to handle them for at least a week.

For feeding, make sure the crickets are small enough for the leo. They should be approx the width of the space between your leos head. Any bigger may be too big for your little guy. You can also try other feeders such as mealworms or dubai roaches. Waxworms, butterworms and phoenix worms can also be given as a treat once or twice a week (1 or 2 worms at a time).

Please take a read of these, as they will help you A LOT:
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t166-proper-housing-for-leopard-geckos
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t303-nutritional-values-and-feeder-insects

I hope I've been able to help you a bit!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down