Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibility of Breeding?

5 posters

Go down

Possibility of Breeding? Empty Possibility of Breeding?

Post by i<3mrnn Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:55 am

I got my female leopard gecko, Ripley, last thanksgiving. At that point she didn't seem like a hatchling...she was about the length from the tip of my thumb to my wrist. All I can say for her age at that point in time is that she was bigger than the baby leos that the petstores sell.

I recently got another leo, and was advised not to get another female or they would fight, so I got a male. Nostromo is a bit smaller than Ripley is now, and I didn't have the funds to get a seperate tank, and truthfully wanted to put them together. So far they've been getting alone well, no aggressive behavior or anything of that nature.

If they do breed, I do have someone that can take the eggs. But my biggest concern is for Ripley, I was told the signs should she become gravid. But I would truely appreciate any advice concerning diet or anything else relating to breeding.

Last edited by i<3mrnn on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
i<3mrnn
i<3mrnn

Status Status : Most people don't understand why I put my reptiles first
LGF Points LGF Points : 147

Back to top Go down

Possibility of Breeding? Empty Re: Possibility of Breeding?

Post by Mardy Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 am

Here's a couple of articles that should help you get started:

Breeding on a small scale

vmsherp

Breeding can be fun and exciting, and even educational. But you definitely want to be well prepared and know what to expect before pumping those eggs out Smile

Good luck.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by i<3mrnn Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:29 am

Thank you so much! I had purchased a 'leopard gecko manual' but it was hard to adapt what was written into my situation, the second link I'll take to heart!
i<3mrnn
i<3mrnn

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 am

You can house females with no problems usually! I have 2 females to one male.

You can get females that are more dominant and may push the other female over to get the best heat spot. But generally they shouldnt fight Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by i<3mrnn Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:48 am

Thank you! I've been bitten by the leo-luvin-bug and I can't help myself!! I want a few more leos!! And if I do let them breed, I will keep a few of them. And as for the ones that I can't keep, there is a reptile rescue that can take them in, so I'm thinking everything through
i<3mrnn
i<3mrnn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 am

I wouldn't put any strain on a reptile rescue that can be avoided. If you're just going to give them away, try and find a reptile specialty shop that can take them in and that will eventually sell them.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 am

Yeah definitely don't breed with the intent on giving geckos to rescues. Rescues need their often tight resources for reptiles that truly need to be rescued or in bad shape. Giving them geckos you intentionally breed is not good form.

Before breeding, I would suggest checking with your local pet shops to see if any of them are interested in taking leopard geckos. Also ask around in your circle of friends & families to see if anybody would like a gecko or two. You should also check your local ads and on craigslist to see if there is already an abundance of leopard geckos for sale or people wanting to give them away. Both articles I linked above emphasis on making sure you can sell/give them away before breeding them.

It's a very common mistake people make when they get excited about breeding, that they start breeding, incubating, and hatching out geckos then realizing they are out of space, and they can't get rid of them. More and more hatchlings pop out of the eggs, each requiring at least 10 mealworms per day every day. Space and money become an issue very quickly.

Anyways good luck!

Last edited by Mardy on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:22 am

The thing about breeding gecko's as pets is, well there is no guarantee they will stay as pets.

Gecko's live for 15 years plus... So if they are going to a shop and sold... the next owner iwll likely think of breeding... if not they will pass it on to someone else who may think of breedng.

So this gecko with unknown genetics gets sent out there into the world and will LIKELY be bred at some point creating more leos with unknown genetics, making the cycle worse.

If you wish to breed, i'd recommend picking up a gecko with all the information known, so you can only pass on gecko's with full genetic background and preventing this loop which is too common nowadays.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:10 am

Irresponsible breeding is the reason everyone suggests pet dogs and cats spayed or neutered.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by i<3mrnn Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 am

Thank you all for your honest opinions!! After mulling it over for a good long while I have to agree, and it really isn't a good idea for me to let them breed when the time comes, unless I'm filthy rich and have plenty of space...which while I sincerely wish it could be so it probably wont happen, I should have Nostromo (Nova...I've decided to rename him) and Ripley in their own tanks. Instead, I might get another female.

Thanks again everyone!! I usually see the light of reason before I make a mistake but its nice to 'see the light' well in advance of the situation. I sincerely appreciate it!
i<3mrnn
i<3mrnn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down