Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple quick q's

5 posters

Go down

Couple quick q's Empty Couple quick q's

Post by Bruce Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Ok so I went to pet supplies plus earlier to get my Leo and I found a little pink/white fellow with some ligh yellow on his back and an all white tale and green, snake looking eyes, I thought it was beautiful so I got it.
Ok here's my 3 q's

1: since I put him in the tank, around 4pm, I havent seen it explore/look around at all, is it normal for them to be shy when being put in a new home and how long will this last?
2: I'm assuming it's a juvenile, it's about 4 in long maybe a lil less
3: if it's a juvenile how much should I feed it a day, I read 6 small mealies in a dish a day is good, is this correct?

Thanks!
Ps I named It sydney

Bruce

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 43

Back to top Go down

Couple quick q's Empty Re: Couple quick q's

Post by Kodieh Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Sounds like a bell albino to me. Yeah, it's normal for them to be insecure for the first few days. It is a juvie by the sound of it, though however much you can get it to eat is a good rule of thumb now. He generally wont over eat.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Congratulations on getting your first leo! Def not a bell albino with all white tail. Could you post a pic bruce?

At 4inches he is still a baby and probably only 5 or 6 weeks old. It is completely normal for them to hide at this age. Think about what must be going through his mind. Taken from pet shop, endure car ride, placed in a new environment with no familiar smells or sights. Not to mention that he is still very young so he will naturally be skittish and stay hidden until he feels safe to venture out. This could take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. Just be patient and give him privacy and peace for now. Make sure that he has the right heat, all the hides he needs, fresh water and plenty small feeders in an escape-proof dish in his enclosure 24/7 and he will eat when he's hungry and drink when he's thirsty. He just needs a little time to settle in to his new home. You will see him out exploring before too long.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 am

Congrats on getting your leo!
I can't wait to see some pictures of your little guy!
Take a look at this website, and see if any of them look like your little guy: http://www.paulsagereptiles.com/LeopardGenetics.htm (Post a picture later though so we can confirm the morph Smile

When you get a new leo it can take a while for them to get used to a new home. My baby leo still doesn't come out very much when I'm in the room, but if I come in suddenly, she will be walking all over. She's becoming more and more comfortable though and starting to come out more. It just takes patience and time. Smile
As well, because he is a baby, you may want to make sure he has quite a few places to hide in. He will appreciate the extra cover. Also making sure his tank isn't too big right now, is important. A 50 gallon tank isn't appropriate for a juvie because its confusing and stressful if there is too much space in the tank.
I feed my little leo (she's about 2 1/2 months I think) about 6 mealies a day. Anymore and she refuses to eat it. It might be good if you did a test run (once he's more used to you) to see how many he will eat, but make sure he doesn't go too far as some juvies will gorge themselves to regurgitation.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 am

1. This is normal. They tend to be shy when you first introduce them to a new setup. You should of really put something that smells of them. This can help them settle in more, but buying one from a shop isn't always great as they don't give you something smelly they are use too etc. You should leave them along for around a week this is to give them time to settle in and get use to their new surroundings and smells

2. Sounds like a juvenile to me. Adults tend to reach 5 inches to 9 inches. Giants can reach inches or more

3. between 7 and 20 food items should be offered each day. Hatchlings and young leopard geckos tend to have a never ending belly (or so they think) they can eat crickets locusts or mealworms. They should have a mixture of different things rather than just one food type. Food should be dusted twice a week Smile and all food should be gutloaded before offering it (24 hours before)
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down