Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under Tank Heaters

4 posters

Go down

Under Tank Heaters Empty Under Tank Heaters

Post by calliecopter Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 am

Do you have any brands specifically that you like? Also with rheostats. I've read some reviews on petsmart and petco and so far it seems like zoo med's UTH's are good and inexpensive, but I was wondering which brands you guys were using?
calliecopter
calliecopter

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

Under Tank Heaters Empty Re: Under Tank Heaters

Post by Kermit Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:19 am

I use T-Rex brand cobra heat mat, 6x11 inch 7 watt on a 20 long viv. Cobra also is put out by ultratherm which for the same size mat is a 12 watt. Cobra uses all copper band filament that operates at a consistant 100*f and is manufactured in scotland (for ultratherm) it is waterproof and non adhesive so easily moveable or useable in a wooden viv. I paid about $16 for the 6x1 and about $26 for the approx 16x29 that's in our ball pythons 90 gallon viv. I ordered both from places online and had them within 5 days. I have no complaints, love the performance and they last forever. Can't go wrong with cobra.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:38 am

I would prefer having non-peel and stick UTH's, but thats why Zoo Med mats are so cheap; their one shots. Once you apply it, it'll near stick to anything else again.

Zoo med is good, but non-peel and stick brands will "go further" in a sense.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:42 am

I'm using Zoo Med's Reptitherm on my 12 tanks, no problems so far. T-rex cobra heating pads are also good. Only brand I've heard bad things about are the Zilla ones. I keep reading about people saying their Zilla pads died out or shorted out, or it stopped sticking, etc..

I wouldn't get a rheostat, it's a dimmer and does not regulate the UTH temperature. If you are going to spend money on a rheostat, you can spend just a lil bit more and get a thermostat. A thermostat will actually shut the UTH off if it goes above a certain threshold. As for brand, there's one from Amazon that has a digital display at a price range where you won't find digital display with other brands. Great reviews, should work fine for what you are looking to do. Under Tank Heaters 191501
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down