Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts?

4 posters

Go down

Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts? Empty Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts?

Post by Swarsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:17 am

Hi Everyone,

As instructed by Kermit, I shall start a new thread! (again!)

Well basically my question is, I have had my first Leo for about 3 days now and on the first day she ate locusts (3 of them, given by the previous owner) and its been 2 days since she has ate, I have put some mealworms and morio worm in there for her to eat but she doesn't seem too interested... Is she just trying to settle in? or shall I just give in and give her crickets and locusts until she is slightly bigger before trying to get her to eat worms? She is 26 grams (weighed today) and approx 3 months old!

My new Leo (2 months old) has taken a liking to the mealworms and happily eating them !

Also do you guys reccomend a food dish? or shall I just put the feeders in everytime and let them roam and Leo's to hunt?

Thanks again,

Swarsh

Swarsh

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 273

Back to top Go down

Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts? Empty Re: Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts?

Post by Mardy Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:44 am

If you just got the gecko, it may take her a few days to a week before she feels comfortable enough to eat. So it'll be hard to tell right now whether she's uninterested in the mealworms, or if she is simply not ready to eat yet.

I'd say feed her whatever she wants to eat, some geckos can be picky eaters. As for mealworms, if you hand feed and watch them eat them, it's fine to just drop them in one at a time. But if you are looking to dump mealworms into their cage, it's best you do it inside a dish/bowl.

In my opinion it's a good habit to get them trained to eat out of a dish, because you never know when you may need to be gone for a few days and having to leave a dish of mealworms for them to eat.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts? Empty Re: Keep with worms or give her cricket/locusts?

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 am

I personally prefer the "hand fed and monitored" method of feeding worms. I, of course, love reptiles and their feeding responses; so I like to watch them hunt and feed.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 am

Hmm,
so you guys think I should just continue with trying to feed worms?

It's just that they have only been in their tank for 2-3 days so I was wondering whether to give them locust/cricket first and let them settle then convert to worms?
Or shall I just wait and continue with worms until they eat?

Kodieh, you hand feed as in hold the worm and let your leo come eat out of your hand? or put them in with hand (into viv) and watch them hunt for it?

Swarsh

Swarsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 am

I do a little of both actually. My little girl, Nix, ate two from my fingers and two on the floor this morning.

I do recommend that you try and create as much normalcy in their lives for now until they seem settled in. I would continue for another three to four days with minimal contact and feeders that are what they are used it- if at all possible.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

Hmm I see,
I guess I'll stop handling them for a few days let them chill out for a lil bit!
I've kind of recreated their old homes in their new tank, using the same hide/moist box etc. so hopefully in a few days time they should be ok!

I'd also like to have my leo's take food from finger and also hunt for their food like yours! that will be awesome

Swarsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am

Feeding superworms by hand could hurt... those buggers have 1 heck of a bite. I also prefer dropping food in with tweezers and watching them eat for. Couple reasons... I know exactly what they're eating, the added activity of not being in a bowl is more stimulating for the herp and I know all feeders are freshly gutloaded rather than sitting in a dish for days on end pooing in there and possibly eating that *gross*. Even if your herp is never offered feed in a dish they will find it if you have to leave for a few days, hunger could motivate a search mission Smile however they can easily go a week without food.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

Haha, I'm not too fussed with morio worms, I handle them regularly by hand!
kinda weird how my leo was 25grams when I purchased her but after weighing today she was 26 grams... but havent eaten in 1-2 days

I think I'll stick to the mealworms, I'm pretty sure she will eat when she is settled and hungry... right?
And yeah, not too keen on having a food bowl also, so unrealistic!

Swarsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm

She will. The first 2 weeks is usually the hardest part for anxious new owners. She'll come around. Just be consistant and patient. thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Swarsh Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Will do!

Thanks!

Swarsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down