Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doesn't like wax worms?!

5 posters

Go down

Doesn't like wax worms?! Empty Doesn't like wax worms?!

Post by Tsuhei Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I've been doing a bit of digging and finally found a local shop that sells wax worms. They're all very healthy and lively.

My leo didn't eat yesterday, so I was assuming he was going to pig out when I got home, especially with wax worms.

I took one out of the container, undusted, and placed it in front of him. He looked like he was going to snatch it up, and then he did a double-take. He relaxed from his strike position, smelled it, and turned away. I tried to coax him into trying it because he's pretty small for his age...and he kept snubbing and going away. He even chirped at it when it crawled toward him.

Any suggestions to get him to actually like these supposedly addicting candy worms? I really want to be able to give him a treat every once in a while that will help get his weight up a bit more.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Doesn't like wax worms?! Empty Re: Doesn't like wax worms?!

Post by chendy1990 Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 pm

how old is your geckos as the worms are too big for mine atm

it sounds like the worm is too big for him

when they chirp it usually means they want you to leave them alone.

chendy1990

Status Status : Boo just shed for her 3rd time and looks completely different in a good way :D
LGF Points LGF Points : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Haha well he chirped at it after smelling it. He's almost 4 months old and 17 grams. I want him to gain a few more grams before he officially hits 4 months old because I've heard many stats for their leos at his age being 25-33 grams. Even though he's a super snow, he SHOULD be over the 20 gram mark by now I believe. He's proportionate now, but he was a little malnourished when he was younger.

The waxies are fairly small. They're about the same length as the mealworms he loves to gobble up.

He seemed extremely interested in it several times, but each time he smelled it, he turned it away. Would maybe squishing one a little to get the juices out entice him to try one if I let him lick at it?
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Not all of them like was worms. Mine is actually about half and half. For the most part geckos will snatch them up but not all of them.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:22 am

You can try butterworms insted if you want a treat worm for him. Waxies could be smelling like the sawdust they come in, might be too big, not move enough, or he just isn't interested.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 am

Not much you can do to make a gecko like something if they don't like it. I have a couple that don't like waxworms. And honestly that's a good thing because waxworms really aren't good for them.

You have a super snow, so it's known for slow growth. Extra fat content really won't make it grow faster. In fact overloading such a small gecko with high fat content can be bad for their health, because their liver may not be able to handle it. So my suggestion is to keep feeding it proper diet, a variety diet. Your gecko during early growing needs good nutrients, like protein, vitamins, calcium, and of course a small amount of fat that comes from feeders.

I'm personally not opposed to waxworms as treats, but you should be happy if your gecko turns away candy. Like having a kid growing up that likes to eat veggies and healthy meals instead of candy and ice cream, you wouldn't want to feel bad about it Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down