Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding times

4 posters

Go down

Feeding times Empty Feeding times

Post by joneill Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Ok, so I know that leos are crepuscular, meaning they are most active just after dusk and just before dawn. Would this be the correct time to feed them then? I have been feeding mine around 8pm which has been fine but I want to keep to their most natural schedule (ie. how they would live in the wild) so if that means feeding around sunset then this is what I will do. Most living things are affected by light cycles, that are created by day and night, which have an impact on when we eat, sleep and work (for animals this would be when they hunt for food) so surely this would also give meaning to our leos feeding times?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Feeding times Empty Re: Feeding times

Post by Kermit Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Try to figure out YOUR leos patterns, noticing when they are most active. They get active when their instincts tell them "time to hunt (or insert primitive instinct trigger of choice here, breeding, brumating etc. here)" etc. So if you learn your leos habits and patterns you can feed in accordance to what they are telling you. If you're not feeding on their schedule and moreso your own then after time you'll notice that your leo becomes more active towards this conditioned time in anticipation of food, and will ignore primitive instinctual impulse in lieu of the new artifically established pattern.

You're a lot like me, I try to simulate every natural instinctual need as much as possible in all my animals which is why I don't feed my dogs till like 9 pm, as in the wild the pack doesn't even rally for the hunt until after sunset.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Mine usually come out when I come around, and so I know they're hungry. You just have to figure your guys out, and work with them on it.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 pm

I understand - get to know your leos and observe their individual patterns.

So I decided to try something different and offered my sub adult female food this morning just before I left for work cos she didnt eat at all last night. I know this because I offer her food every evening rather than simply leave a bowl of worms out. Its way more fun to teach them how to hunt and watch them stalk their prey and pounce on it. Gosh was she ravenous! I stopped after 8 mealworms (don't worry they are not big) cos didn't want to overdo it and she went straight to her favourite hide to curl up and digest.

From now on, if my leos don't eat at night then I will offer them some breakfast. At least I know they will never go hungry.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:34 am

My two put away five super's at a time, and I usually feed them before bed. They go for it too, the feeding response is amazing.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Well, now I am feeding both my leos in the morning (sunrise) and this is working perfectly. They are more energetic and gobble up their food. My little boy is an albino so he is able to see his prey with the extra light cos when I was feeding him at night he would often miss when striking.

And now the evenings are free to bond with them which is quickly becoming a regular thing as everytime I walk into the room they are standing on top of something in their enclosures or trying to scale the glass. All I have to do is put my hand near them and they literally jump on. It is so sweet cos now they trust me and we sit together on the bed or on the couch. I never imagined that a reptile could be so friendly and social. I just adore leo's!
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:14 am

Good for you Jenni! It sounds like you are well on the way to have very very friendly leos. You have paid attention to what your leos need and want and have adjusted accordingly:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:43 am

smsararas2 wrote:Good for you Jenni! It sounds like you are well on the way to have very very friendly leos. You have paid attention to what your leos need and want and have adjusted accordingly:)

... and it shows. You're doing a great job with your leos keep up the great work thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down