Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how many times a week do i feed my gecko

2 posters

Go down

how many times a week do i feed my gecko Empty how many times a week do i feed my gecko

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 1:47 am

i have curently been feedin my gecko either cricket or mealworms everynight and im wondering weather i am feeding him to much or is that ok?? im trying to fatten him up a bit as he is only 11 months old as you propaly saw in another one of my threds
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

how many times a week do i feed my gecko Empty Re: how many times a week do i feed my gecko

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 1:50 am

I got my leo when she was about a year old.. soo yours is nearly that age.. I feed my leopard gecko every other day... Sometimes Saturday, and deffo on Monday, Wednesday, Friday Smile I feed her morioworms/superworms.. she eats 2 usually.. but sometimes 3. Very Happy I used to feed her about 5-6 crickets every other day. Very Happy Hope it helped!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

how many times a week do i feed my gecko Empty Re: how many times a week do i feed my gecko

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 am

so when he gets over a year do you think i should cut down his food to every other day?
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 1:55 am

yep.. in the wild, geckos wont eat everyday soo it doesn't do them any harm. I gut load my insects on tuesday, thursday, sunday soo they will be filled with nutrients on the feeding days.. having a day in between feeding makes it easy to gut load the insects properly. Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 2:02 am

what do i have to get to gutload my crickets i have hurd of it before but what would you say is the best to use
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 2:08 am

You have to gutload the crickets and other live food to fill them with nutrients so that when your lizard eats it, it gets all the goodness Very Happy it will keep your gecko healthy.

You can gut load your crickets with any vegetables.. except spinach because this vegetable will effect your gecko absorbing calcium.

I use cucumber, grapes, carrot and apple. You can also use other things, such as oats, bread crumbs, stale bread and fish food. Sometimes I use a mixture of tropical fish flakes and crumbs of stale bread. Bugs seem to love bread! Very Happy You can also buy special live food gutloading foods from pet shops, a famous one is by 'flukers' or something like that. I prefer to gut load them myself soo that I know exactly what my gecko is eating Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 am

oh my god i have been gutloading haha becuase i often put a peace of cucumber in with the crickets lol can i put them in with the mealworms aswell??
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 2:13 am

the crickets or the cucumber hahaha?

Yes, mealies can eat cucumber, too.

You need to feed the live food 24 hours before you feed them to your leo soo they are filled with the nutrients.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 am

not the cucumber lol .. ok thank you that really helps i see your gecko is nice a chunky i love geckos that are chunky im tryin to fatten mine up lol
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 2:19 am

ohh right.. no, your crickets will probably eat the mealworms. crickets eat everything.. they will even nibble on your gecko if you leave them in the tank for more than about 30 mins.. but you leave some veg in your leos tank to solve that problem.. the crickets will nibble that instead lol

awww thankyou.. banana is a fatty! Very Happy she loves her food now.. but when i first got her.. she was soo fussy and it took me a long time to change her diet from crickets to morioworms.

Dont worry! your leo will get chubbier as he gets older if he's got a big appetite like banana has Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 2:23 am

yeah he loves mealworms but i wont ever take him off of crickets i like to give him a verierty of food, i have been puttin the crickets in and leavin them overnight and he tends to hunt them when im asleep and i just take any that are left out in the mornin but with the mealworm he will take them from me off of feeding tongs ( cant pick the mealworms up they horrible to touch) dnt mind waxworm tho he will take them out my hand Very Happy
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am

haha I stopped feeding crickets because I hate them! they are horrible and they also makes sounds when im trying to sleep, oh and they smell Very Happy I like morioworms/superworms because they are easy to look after, if you feed them they last for ages.. and they can be housed in a little plastic tub of bran and bread crump mixture Very Happy They love waxworms.. they are a very fatty and sugary treat that geckos should only eat like every month. because they are soo great they can become addicted to them and they will refuse to eat anything else. Very Happy banana adores them Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 3:40 am

sorry my boyfriend nicked the laptop and i was doing dinner, but if i bring him off of cricket isnt that like salad to them?? or are mealworms the same prefrance? when i first got him he was havin a waxworm everymornin for about a week becuase he was a bit skinny so fattened him up them swoped them for mealworms Very Happy
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 3:49 am

Nope. They can eat any of those feeds as a stable diet.. In fact, alot of breeders and keepers prefer to just use mealworms as a stable diet. I don't know much about the nutritional value of crickets and mealworms before gutloading them.. It will be on the internet somewhere though lol I think superworms are the most nutritious insect.. but i'm not sure..
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 3:58 am

well i just tryed looking for superworms i know my pet shop dose not supply them they only have mealworms but they are around about the same size as the mealworm i get for him, you are right when you said the crickets stink , it anoys me sometimes lol so i am tempted to take crickets out of his diet, but as i asked you in the last thred i didnt know if that was serfishaint enough for him if he is only on the mealworms but as you said it is , hmmmm yeah maybe just buy the worms they are easyer
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 4:15 am

yeah it is easier.. I just hated crickets.. I only got them in the first place because that's what the pet shop gave her. I stopped feeding her for a while because she wouldn't eat the morioworms/superworms.. they can go for a while without food and still be completely healthy..and then as soon as I put the worm in the viv, she ate them Very Happy and I have never given her anything else since lol Very Happy

I didn't even know you could get giant mealworms? Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 am

well ovousily you musy be able to because the ones are got are huge lol
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 am

i have put a picture of his viv on the houseing bit on the forum
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu May 12, 2011 4:32 am

awesome Smile i want some if you can get massive ones :P
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 am

lol just go to your pet shop they should have them, just get the massive beefey ones lol the picture is up that you wanted to see
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down